Carriers' view on van windows

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Assuming windows are 100% blacked out...
1) Do carriers regard sliding door windows as:
a) unacceptable
b) grudgingly tolerable
c) entirely up to the o/o

2) Do carriers regard rear door windows as:
a) unacceptable
b) grudgingly tolerable
c) entirely up to the o/o

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Pretty simple. Ask the Carrier!!!!!! Not some jag on here!!

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Let me ask it another way.

Has anyone observed cv's with either sliding door or rear door windows?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are probably a few control-freak carriers that won't allow them, but for the most part they don't care. My first van had rear windows, which of course I covered up. You want them covered because of privacy, and to keep people from seeing what you're hauling who might get a little too curious. Every now and then I'll see someone driving down the road with uncovered windows, but I have a feeling most of those are day delivery or couriers and not OTR expediters where they have to spend the night in a parking lot somewhere. An expediter with uncovered side or rear windows is just a break-in waiting to happen. Generally speaking, if a carrier won't allow a van with uncovered windows to be leased on with them, it's not because of the uncovered windows, it's because they are reluctant to take on an owner/operator who is stupid enough to have uncovered windows.

Now, a van with covered windows, which is what you actually asked about, is another story. That's not going to be much of a problem, except to the control-freak carriers who know how easy it is to throw a brick through a side or rear window and get to the freight. You won't see many with a sliding side window, since those are passenger vans, but you do see a few. You see many more with covered up rear windows. Those are actually pretty common.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first van was on with Con-Way and had fixed windows in the swing side doors and rear doors. All windows were cover with limo tint and all had removable 1" insulation board.

My current van with Panther has no windows on the side door, but does have swing out windows on the rear doors. Again, limo tint and removable insulation board.

Check with the carrier before you lease on. Some even except converted passenger window vans.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Turtle. It seems to me that forward living area would be more livable during downtime with the additional view.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could always add a couple of small RV windows on either side for light, view and fresh air.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks Turtle. It seems to me that forward living area would be more livable during downtime with the additional view.
It's just another window to be blocked off in order to sleep during the day.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I would think most carriers wouldn't really care. You'd obviously have to ask each individual carrier though. Personally I like having windows in the back of my truck. The more vision the better.

It's not difficult to cover em up if you're parked somewhere. Once I start driving though, I'm more comfortable with the windows being uncovered.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Just remember this:

The more window, the harder to insulate.

The more window, the harder to secure. Covered up or not, that window can be broken and the van then compromised.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Just remember this:

The more window, the harder to insulate.

The more window, the harder to secure. Covered up or not, that window can be broken and the van then compromised.

True, but there's trade offs here. If they want the freight bad enough they can simply break in the front door & unlock it like that. Or just take the whole van.

IMO the van would be a lot more compromised by getting into an accident because someone was in your blind spot. Yes, I know you're supposed to know how to drive whether ya have windows there or not. Truckers do it all the time. Use the mirrors. I get that. I had a run today that filled my van, essentially making me a no windows van for the duration of my trip. Nothing happened. No incidents or even close. Just one of those gardern variety trips. So yea, people drive safely w/ no windows frequently.

Still, I've got to believe on a % basis, there's more accidents involving people who can't see as well as people who can see better.

I'm not even saying your wrong here. Just my preference & the logic behind it.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
When my van was in the shop for some work, I used my best friends van, which didn't have windows on the side doors. When backing, there was a terrible blind spot on the right side. On my van, I have put the limo darkening film on the rear windows and the side doors (not up front). I got the static cling type, so that I could remove it if I need to for some reason. Best price that I could find was at Wal*Mart. If you ever install this, be sure to use a spray bottle, and spray both the window and both sides of the film. Use plenty of water, and squeegee it off with a credit card. It works great and looks professionally done.