Carrier hoppers

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I can't really say anything about o/o aspect but from a driver stand point (at least for me being a driver and all). Finding the right fit with an owner seems to be a little challenging like wise finding a right driver for an owner can be I suppose. Personally speaking I hate moving around but sometimes its warrented. I think some people or newbies may have some unrealistic expectations and get frustrated. Some people make that leap of faith into expediting with out doing a little research on there own.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using EO Forums mobile app

I came from being a redi-mix fleet manager and shop foreman to expediting, I also landed an honest and trustworthy company from jump so I'm jaded IMHO, although my mother has been an o/o or driver all if my life so I knew the pitfalls of trucking, but it seems that a majority of the carrier jumpers don't want to give the proper corting time when they sign on to a new carrier, truckload carriers are ten times the number of expedite carriers and if there jumping that much they will surely burn bridges and find themselves with no new companies to lease on with right?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Anyone that is with 3 Carriers in a year or so probably doesn't understand the industry.
The more you jump, I imagine the less quality opportunities will open up to you.

TDave

Expert Expediter
I came from being a redi-mix fleet manager and shop foreman to expediting, I also landed an honest and trustworthy company from jump so I'm jaded IMHO, although my mother has been an o/o or driver all if my life so I knew the pitfalls of trucking, but it seems that a majority of the carrier jumpers don't want to give the proper corting time when they sign on to a new carrier, truckload carriers are ten times the number of expedite carriers and if there jumping that much they will surely burn bridges and find themselves with no new companies to lease on with right?

I dont know your situation and all everyone is different. But as a former manager when I hired someone I looked at work history one or two places fine but if someone had made lets say for example 5 job changes in 5 or 6 months I would see a red flag. I imagine when owners are looking for drivers they look at the same. All I was saying some people may jump before they know what there getting into.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using EO Forums mobile app

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My first carrier paid very well to o/o we got 80% of the gross and he charged what SHOULD be the going rate for freight. But because he charged what he did work became scarce so now i'm running for less with less benifits to make more but stay busy and i'm pretty much content. Be that as it may what would make me jump is if my present carrier made us pay for one of those goofy Qualcomm's.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We've been in expediting a couple years now and have stayed with our original carrier and we have no plans on changing in the foreseeable future but what I'm getting at is there are some drivers and O/O who seem to jump around a lot, in conversations on here and in the truckstops I've heard many talk about changing carriers every six months to a year, is there a reason? Are they jumping around to see how each company handles business? I can think of at least three teams who have been on with 5 or 6 different carriers in the last three years and I'm wondering if there is a bad driver or bad O/O list for the expediting carriers ? Would a track record of company hopping make a person less desirable to employ?

Drivers shortage will feed the grasshoppers, forget about the bridges in this industry...for now, lol.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't argue that.
It's probably best if all my "semi" references just referred to drivers in general.
Face it. We're ALL human. Thank God!!

Are you sure about that human part?....LOL

SamChimp1_RH_SS.jpg

guido4475

Not a Member
One reason or several reasons one may not even think of why some are carrier hoppers could be trying to stay one step ahead of the IRS, child support agency, etc..I know of a few doing this, and I used to be one myself. It may be easy to criticize one for doing this, and some may call it poor money management. But as hard as I have tried throughout the years, i just couldn't get caught up..no matter how hard I have run. I know there are several out there silently going through this. And few may admit to this.But coming to load one and knowing this was where I want to stay at for the remainder of my career has made me find a solution to this ongoing monkey on my back. Now I am happy, and so are the people i was hiding from. Everything is Kosher and I have never been happier. So there may be more to a carrier hopper than we really know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Qualcomm $20.00, Satellite Messaging $35.00, Physical Damage\Bobtail $23.70, Truck Insurance Escrow $30.00, Occupational Insurance $17.47 Total $126.19. Every week charged to myself. Always went where carrier recommended. Turned down one load in four months. Sat better then three and one half days a week on average. That's why I left my first carrier. My inappropriate language to a male dispatcher got me canned at the second carrier.:)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I may be the champion NON-hopper of all time . twenty five years same carrier. I met a guy early on who said "You can change, and hop around, but trust me...they are all *****s". (His words, not mine) These words still echo today.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The longest history I got is Nations Exp. - 7 yrs. Before them I switched about 5 co. in 4 yrs. I still feel sorry for quitting Nations (that was exactly 6 yrs ago).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I may be the champion NON-hopper of all time . twenty five years same carrier. I met a guy early on who said "You can change, and hop around, but trust me...they are all *****s". (His words, not mine) These words still echo today.

His asterisks, not yours. :)