Carrier hoppers

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
We've been in expediting a couple years now and have stayed with our original carrier and we have no plans on changing in the foreseeable future but what I'm getting at is there are some drivers and O/O who seem to jump around a lot, in conversations on here and in the truckstops I've heard many talk about changing carriers every six months to a year, is there a reason? Are they jumping around to see how each company handles business? I can think of at least three teams who have been on with 5 or 6 different carriers in the last three years and I'm wondering if there is a bad driver or bad O/O list for the expediting carriers ? Would a track record of company hopping make a person less desirable to employ?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It did in my "past life" as an ops mgr. A little hopping was fine as it's not rare for recruiters to be in a different dimension than operations and the real world. But a lot of hopping meant, to us, that NO carrier can "please" this driver or this driver probably just not worth trying to please. Just IMO.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of these grasshoppers (lol), from my observations, exhibit "it's all about me" and " I want it now" attitudes.

They are impulsive, lack of disciplines, and not a team player. They can't quite grasp the business 101 concepts. They have poor money management skills and do not have 6 months of emergency savings. Proudly admitted, I was like that once :)

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
It depends. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.I never did it,but was making money though.You have to be careful. Kind of silly to jump ship if your making money.Six months is a little short,unless you are certain 100% that other carriers are loading trucks and yours isn't.The bottom line is the deciding factor. If your not able to pay the bills,and you are certain other carriers are loading trucks you better do something.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I've been doing this around 3 years now and am at my 2nd carriers. Don't think of myself as a hopper but it was a tuff decision to leave my first carrier. Took me about 6 months of looking and thinking to change. The biggest deciding factor for me was trust. My former carrier lost mine, and I had to have it in my new one

sent from my Galaxy S3

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some people are to fast to hop others are too slow, some, the lucky ones never need too. I went through a few carriers over the years before finding my home. No reason to stay somewhere a person is going broke. What may be a great carrier for one person could be the worst for another due to a number of reasons.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
It seems to be a bigger problem in truckload from what I've noticed. The company im with has on average bout 20 trucks a week turned in and then replacement drivers the next week in orientation. This was a good company when my dad drove here 15 years ago but now you have been here a long time if you make it 6 months.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I think you're all right.

Not MANY semi owners I ever met could spare enough cash, seemingly, to fill their own fuel tanks twice much less have 6 months of emergency funds in the bank.

No semi CAN afford to stick it out at a crappy carrier, not getting enough miles/pay for very long. It's a catch 22, whatever that means.

Not ALL the grass is really greener but when you aren't making it where you are it ALL looks pretty green.

Semi drivers are USUALLY human. Some have great potential but are stuck at a carrier that can't feed semis miles well. I used to work for one of those carriers. And some semi owners are just b1tchy little girls and cannot be pleased no matter what they're running.

Long story, long......
You're all correct.

IMHO.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think you're all right.

Not MANY semi owners I ever met could spare enough cash, seemingly, to fill their own fuel tanks twice much less have 6 months of emergency funds in the bank.

No semi CAN afford to stick it out at a crappy carrier, not getting enough miles/pay for very long. It's a catch 22, whatever that means.

Not ALL the grass is really greener but when you aren't making it where you are it ALL looks pretty green.

Semi drivers are USUALLY human. Some have great potential but are stuck at a carrier that can't feed semis miles well. I used to work for one of those carriers. And some semi owners are just b1tchy little girls and cannot be pleased no matter what they're running.

Long story, long......
You're all correct.

IMHO.

you can interchange the words "semi owners" for "expedite owners" very well....:p

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I can't argue that.
It's probably best if all my "semi" references just referred to drivers in general.
Face it. We're ALL human. Thank God!!

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
you can interchange the words "semi owners" for "expedite owners" very well....:p

Hahaha, true... it takes longer than six months to settle into a carrier, I can see moving once or twice in a couple years but 4, 5 or 6 ? And several of the carriers were the larger ones, I know each person has a certain level of expectation from there employment but how can you expect to be taken seriously when you won't even show commitment?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It is a fine line between staying too long and hopping too quick. I think anyone needs to do solid research BEFORE making a switch. Sometimes that is the real problem and why people leave. We look at the number of carriers someone has run for and review the reasons for leaving. You can normally pick up the valid ones vs a perpetual hopper pretty quick if you know the carriers and what is going on in the industry. IMHO

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I've been doing this around 3 years now and am at my 2nd carriers. Don't think of myself as a hopper but it was a tuff decision to leave my first carrier. Took me about 6 months of looking and thinking to change. The biggest deciding factor for me was trust. My former carrier lost mine, and I had to have it in my new one

sent from my Galaxy S3

I applaud you for taking time to find a new carrier, I spoke to a driver I know who was unhappy with a dispatcher and left his most recent carrier after four months, this being his third carrier this year, his truck is starting to look like a trashed out billboard, there's shadow decals from six carriers on the truck now!
I feel were lucky to be with people we trust and respect and have since entering into expediting!

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It usually takes about 10 seconds listening to one of these guys to figure out why they can't stay anywhere long...

TDave

Expert Expediter
I can't really say anything about o/o aspect but from a driver stand point (at least for me being a driver and all). Finding the right fit with an owner seems to be a little challenging like wise finding a right driver for an owner can be I suppose. Personally speaking I hate moving around but sometimes its warrented. I think some people or newbies may have some unrealistic expectations and get frustrated. Some people make that leap of faith into expediting with out doing a little research on there own.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using EO Forums mobile app