Carrier cutting rates

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
Here's what i think is going on...a shift in business models. Instead of saying we're getting out of the CV business or the ST business...they're simply resetting rates and/or reducing miles in an effort to effect the model change they want. I've been seeing this with a few carriers so far this year. I think June will be the tell-tale month to recognize which carriers want which type of business moving forward in 2013. If what they have done so far doesn't make the results sought...i would expect more rate cuts and/or fewer miles until their goals are met.

Last edited:

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know I've seen it in the last week. Probably TA, maybe at the J in Beaverdam.
I'd be surprised if someone doesn't post a location by midnight.
You could have one by the start of business Monday,LOL.

Larry that t-shirt is at the J in beaverdam Let me know if I need to pick it up and mail it to ya.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Dang- you got me. In 823 years I'll be dead and gone some 800 years.

No, I'm saying that ANY March with the 1st day starting on Friday will have 5 of each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Are you saying there will only be one Friday, March 1st every 823 years? I'm thinking more like every 7, not counting for leap days. Sounds like another internet "Wow! I didn't know that!" crap statistic to me.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Here's what i think is going on...a shift in business models. Instead of saying we're getting out of the CV business or the ST business...they're simply resetting rates and/or reducing miles in an effort to effect the model change they want.

I agree completely. Express-1 used to focus on teams as well. No more. It's a tractor trailer company now.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
E-1 T-T quite often 120-132" ARI Sleepers.
They even run ads with a monstrous T660/ Big Bunk.
And that 09 Cascadia, 130 (?) Bolt,white,red,and blk is at E-1. Large fleet owner.

Last edited:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
But not the big one Zorry mentioned. I actually bought the tv system out of that one at Bolt back in the Jordan Transport days with FedEx

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There used to be a dozen down there. Now they're out getting MORE MILES .

Running more miles = they come and go.

I can see it now. When things pick up and the daily load count start to increase, They will sit back and say, "I knew we did the right thing when we cut the rates !"

Daily load increase happens every year. It's when those Daily load counts go down during the slow times, they want to cut the rates and think that will increase the Daily load count.

Did I say anything about the Daily load count. That and that along is what they want. Nevermind that a lot of those Daily load counts are below 300. Could be why they added the .5 and deadhead so we can run more under 300 increasing the Daily load count.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yep....it is all about the miles. Don't worry whether you are making anything, it is all about being the "team player".:rolleyes:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those tractors are probably running Bounce Loads

Now I don't want to make things up or anything....

I had a load offer, and I ask who the customer was, I was told Bounce our sister company. Sure I'll take it. We didn't get the load. So, that got me thinking, did Bounce go with a lower rate carrier? lol

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I had a load offer, and I ask who the customer was, I was told Bounce our sister company. Sure I'll take it. We didn't get the load. So, that got me thinking, did Bounce go with a lower rate carrier? lol

Yes. Of course.
I've seen sprinter loads in Laredo go to other carriers because they would run it cheaper. I was told the international group was a separate profit center and they focus on return, although there are certain customers that they will NOT sell their loads, to protect those preferred customers from exposure to other carriers.