Carrier cutting rates

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Exactly, it may not be so bad for the solo guys as the short loads there is the bump. However, it is killing the sprinter teams. Especially the ones that the are either driving for a fleet owner or the ones as in my case not all of the money goes into 1 pot like a husband and wife team.

Or better yet, a sprinter team, not in one household, signed on to a fleet owner. I'm sure there are some. That'd be like cutting a kidney bean three ways for dinner.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Eating my meal this morning here at the J. When I went to pay my bill, the manager came out and said it was taken care of. A husband and wife paid my bill. Thanks.

Could be due to the Express-1 shirt I had on, they must have felt sorry for me. I thank you who ever you are.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Eating my meal this morning here at the J. When I went to pay my bill, the manager came out and said it was taken care of. A husband and wife paid my bill. Thanks.

Could be due to the Express-1 shirt I had on, they must have felt sorry for me. I thank you who ever you are.

I hear that at the TA, if you prove you're a team with Swift, they give you a copy of Brokeback Mountain. :D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They did it backwards.
They should have offered the lower costs to the shippers.
Then once you were so busy that you didn't know what to do, drop the rate cut on ya.
If the increased business doesn't come ? And how about those looking at insurance increases ?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Cutting the rate or pay to the drivers doesn't necessarily translate in to a rate reduction to the customer.
"Watch what they do, not what they say".
As for the T-shirt idea, pretty genius for a drivers reward program. ;)

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Cutting the rate or pay to the drivers doesn't necessarily translate in to a rate reduction to the customer.

I can tell you for a fact, it doesn't. I saw what another broker was paying on the load I recently took. I got 55.7% of the load.

I know all load are different but this is one example of the new rate distribution. :banghead:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
"Watch what they do, not what they say".
As for the T-shirt idea, pretty genius for a drivers reward program. ;)

Speaking of t-shirts, I read about one this trucker wears to his shippers/consignees...

I get paid to haul your freight, not take your sh**.

Genius. :)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I know I've seen it in the last week. Probably TA, maybe at the J in Beaverdam.
I'd be surprised if someone doesn't post a location by midnight.
You could have one by the start of business Monday,LOL.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can tell you for a fact, it doesn't. I saw what another broker was paying on the load I recently took. I got 55.7% of the load.

I know all load are different but this is one example of the new rate distribution. :banghead:

If they continue to charge their standard fare, your freight opportunites are likely to stay basically the same unless their fleet count drops. Time will tell on that one I guess.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If they continue to charge their standard fare, your freight opportunites are likely to stay basically the same unless their fleet count drops. Time will tell on that one I guess.

During at least half of the year, most drivers already ran close to capacity. That part of the year where most drivers could really use more miles will be over soon. I think part of the strategy may be to reduce turndowns, by economic pressure.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
During at least half of the year, most drivers already ran close to capacity. That part of the year where most drivers could really use more miles will be over soon. I think part of the strategy may be to reduce turndowns, by economic pressure.

If they have less money because of a pay cut, wouldn't they have less to deadhead to a load?
Seems like there would be more turn downs?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This year March has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays. This happens once every 823 years

That is great. I have to wait another 823 years to have more pay days and week ends- to - well, get paid more for less?