Cargo Vans - What is your straight through limit?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Just curious if some of the "cargo vanners" would tell us all - what is the "maximum miles dispatched to be driven straight through limit" imposed by your carrier?, and also what is the limit of straight through miles that you impose on yourself on your best day? I'm talking about how many miles are you allowed to do straight before your carrier will transfer the load from your truck to another truck, and the maximum driving you place on yourself to go direct.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just curious if some of the "cargo vanners" would tell us all - what is the "maximum miles dispatched to be driven straight through limit" imposed by your carrier?, and also what is the limit of straight through miles that you impose on yourself on your best day? I'm talking about how many miles are you allowed to do straight before your carrier will transfer the load from your truck to another truck, and the maximum driving you place on yourself to go direct.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

I really don't know Load 1's policy is....but I do know mine....about 900 - 1,000 is my direct limit, depending on when the load becomes available.....variables come into play....but a 1700 miler picks on Friday delivers Monday is acceptable to me....
Direct = Absolutely NO extra time in run....the only extra time is the difference between your 50 MPH calculation and your GPS calculation...minus fueling time.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Depends on WAY too many factors.

First load after a great sleep?
Weather?
Start in day or night?
Finish in day or night?
Mountains or not so much.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My limit is Bison , SD. to Mpls. , MN. ........:p

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
In miles, what is your company's policy limit?

Thanks,

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My personal limit with no break time was 550 barring special circumstances that could extend it to maybe 700. The company limit was 700 without a break.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

Monty

Expert Expediter
While I was there, Landstar had none ...... the question was asked, "Can you deliver this by XXXX?"

I personally have done Charlotte, Nc to Bismarck, Nd. 1600 miles

Salt lake City to Edmonton, AB 1100 miles

These runs, while tiring, were dispatched at 50mph for delivery, which had them arriving in the middle of the night, due to pickup time, so a few hours were added until the receiver arrived.

Also the speeds I drove were legal, or slightly above. So 1600 miles divided by 50 is 32 hours. 1600 divided by 70 is 22 .... so a 10 hour break, or close could be had.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me its a private manner but has more to do with how I feel at the time than any preset amount.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you're looking to implement a mileage number, 900 miles seems to be about the sweet spot. When dispatched at 45 MPH it's 20 hours, and at 50 MPH it's 18 hours. But a van can average a good 62 MPH over that run, including fuel stops, and can drive it in about 14½ hours. That leaves a couple of hours in there for a nap along the way if one is needed.

Between 900 and 1400 miles it gets iffy, because in most cases (other than those rare occasions where the driver just woke up after a full night's sleep and is well rested before getting the load) you can't drive more than about 14 or 15 hours without significant, meaningful sleep in order to continue driving. At 1200 miles, for example, dispatched at 50 MPH it's 24 hours to get it there, and at 62 MPH it's 19¾ hours behind the wheel, call it 20, plus losing another hour for fuel stops at 21 hours. That only leaves a maximum of 3 hours for a nap along the way, which won't cut it in most cases. Extra time, about 5 hours or so, will need to be built into the run.

But, once you get up around 1500 miles, it gets easier to drive it. At 50 MPH that's 30 hours, and at 62 MPH it's 24 behind the wheel, plus an hour for fueling, and you have a good 5 hours to spare for a nap and something to eat.

And of course, if it's booked even at 47 MPH instead of 50 MPH, those 3 MPH can make all the difference in the world in a 1500 mile run. It turns a 30 hour dispatch time into 32 hour run, giving the driver 7 hours to ensure they are well rested and alert for the entire trip. Even a 900 mile run benefits from those 3 MPH, giving the driver an extra full hour to lessen the stress.

So, if looking at implementing straight-through travel times, I believe that straight-through dispatch times should be looked at, as well. Less than 900 miles and a dispatch time of 50 MPH seems to work well. But, at longer distances, 47 or 45 MPH should be the norm, since those extra couple or three hours can make the difference in safe versus marginal, help provide for unexpected delays like construction or traffic, and those couple of hours aren't likely to make any difference to a shipper or a receiver in the first place, otherwise they've have air expedited it.

Longer loads especially, booked at 47 or 45 miles an hour, your CSA scores will thank you. Fewer speeding tickets. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
John...I don't think putting a number in stone will accomplish much except make you and the company "feel good" and be able to say "we have a safety program in place"...
Common sense between driver and dispatch is a MUST....
Dispatchers get greedy as well as drivers do..they'll bid a straight thru load and cross their fingers a driver will bail them out....likewise a lot of drivers have no "control" and will say YES to the load as not to appear a sissy....LOL saying NO to a 1700 mile load takes a lot of will power...I've done it...

HighwayHusky

Active Expediter
I once had a dispatcher who was clueless... she landed a New Hampshire to Laredo, Tx run... 2200. Pulled it off in 40. That was pretty much my crash course into this business. For some reason I prefer the long crazy runs.. I think its the adventure aspect. Or perhaps because I learned how to drive by watching Smokey and the Bandit.

Reactions: tseders93

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I once had a dispatcher who was clueless... she landed a New Hampshire to Laredo, Tx run... 2200. Pulled it off in 40. That was pretty much my crash course into this business. For some reason I prefer the long crazy runs.. I think its the adventure aspect. Or perhaps because I learned how to drive by watching Smokey and the Bandit.
I used to be like that..run like the wind....but 2 heart attacks and 14 yrs later. I don't like to stress my body out to that extreme...thats just me...everyone is different....

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Regardless of company policy - never forget DOT! Even under 10,000GVW under certain situations they will enforce the same hour driving restrictions for trucks to vans. Get in an accident while under a load, carry Hazmat, and be over your hours for a commercial vehicle - I would not like to be in your shoes.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would never drive for a company that sets van driving limits. Been there and not going back.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I can remember my first run, of course it hasn't been that long ago, LOL. It was on a Fri and my first day in service. Up all day and laid my head down for a nap and woke up an hour later and bam. Phone rang at 4:45 pm and pick up in CHA and going to Hillsboro TX, 1130mi and del on Sat. I was beat. But I know now to take that afternoon nap,lol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can remember my first run, of course it hasn't been that long ago, LOL. It was on a Fri and my first day in service. Up all day and laid my head down for a nap and woke up an hour later and bam. Phone rang at 4:45 pm and pick up in CHA and going to Hillsboro TX, 1130mi and del on Sat. I was beat. But I know now to take that afternoon nap,lol.
somewhere between noon and 3 pm is "expeditors nap time"...we try not to call each other between these hours.....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

I never had a transfer in my life, however the most I did straight thru was Detroit to Orlando just stopping for fuel a a couple of 15 min power naps..... Oh to be young again!

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I don't think we have a limit. But at the speed we set the loads + 5hrs works. I just did 1650 had enough time for a nap and still del early. It's all about time management. You can run safe and still run long good planning wins the day. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app