Cargo Vans - What is your straight through limit?

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes but the impression that I get from the way you are saying it is that's its hard for the plaintiff to prove and I don't think it is. As far as the vehicular homicide statutes you quote, they are all based on intent or some other criminal act such as a DUI. We are not talking intent here, hence the civil suits.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes but the impression that I get from the way you are saying it is that's its hard for the plaintiff to prove and I don't think it is.
You think it's easy for the plaintiff to prove to the jury that an 8,000 pound van is no different than a 33,000 truck?

You're right, I think it's incredibly hard to prove to a jury that there's no difference, considering every member of a jury has seen the difference for themselves every time they go for a drive.

As far as the vehicular homicide statutes you quote, they are all based on intent or some other criminal act such as a DUI. We are not talking intent here, hence the civil suits.
They aren't all based on intent or other criminal acts, actually. Most are, yeah. Some statues specifically require either intent or a homicide while in the commission of a crime, such as DIU, reckless driving, etc. Some states simply include the negligent operation of a vehicle as cause for the charge. But the states where it isn't specifically mentioned as a prerequisite for vehicular homicide, people are charged with negligent homicide, instead. Others have varying degrees of vehicular homicide, with the most severe degrees being the ones that involve intent or the commission of some crime. None of these are civil crimes. If someone dies because of your improper actions while driving a vehicle, be it driving while intoxicated, speeding, reckless driving, of driving impaired (including fatigued), you're gonna get charged, and likely convicted, of some degree or another of vehicular homicide, or at the very least negligent homicide.

If you drive while impaired (fatigue, high fever from the flu, whatever) and have an accident where someone is injured or killed, even if you did nothing else wrong, it could be as simple as your reaction time being slowed down and you broke no traffic or other laws, you're willfully and intentionally operating a vehicle in a reckless manner, a danger to others on the road. That's viewed as intent in every courtroom in the country, no different than if you willfully got drunk and got behind the wheel. If that accident happens after 20 straight hours of driving, you're screwed.

Incidentally, criminal and civil lawsuits aren't mutually exclusive. One doesn't except someone or preclude the other. People often end up in court for both.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I would never drive for a company that sets van driving limits. Been there and not going back.

This.

I have no interest in working for a company that cares more about their liability than my safety. The company I drove for had no limits but the dispatchers were good. I regularly ran from Indy to Laredo. (1300 miles). I would work in a 2 hour nap with the time saved driving 5 mph over the speed limit.

After a long all night run and early morning drop, I'd let dispatch know that I was going to bed but to book me reasonable loads (no 600+ miles). Not once was I asked to run outside my comfort range.

That being said, it's harder to make good money in a van, if I couldn't get the 1300 mile runs at .50c a mile (company driver), then it wouldn't make it worthwhile to be in a van. It's those good weeks that give you the motivation to slug through the $400 weeks.

That being said, I'll never go back into a van.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no interest in working for a company that cares more about their liability than my safety.
Their liability and your safety are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The company I drove for had no limits but the dispatchers were good. I regularly ran from Indy to Laredo. (1300 miles). I would work in a 2 hour nap with the time saved driving 5 mph over the speed limit. That being said, I'll never go back into a van.
"The dispatchers were good." Define good. After reading this post, I for one am sure glad you will never go back into a van. We certainly don't need people with your mindset populating the van segment of the expedite industry. Yeah, one less is only one less, but it's a start! Whatever you are doing, keep on doing it. We don't need or want you!

Chevy Expresso

Rookie Expediter
I can see why some would like this to be a private matter. I'm new and I know pretty much nothing about expediting. I was pretty much just given a cargo van and some phone numbers and sent out. I just finished my 7th delivery. 1850ish miles. No limit on straight through and I pushed myself hard. I see now that it's up to me to make my rules. And I don't have to push myself so hard. Finding my self in a constant dilemma of train to push myself hard but also be a stickler about my safety.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
Lots of good input from seasoned and experinced drivers John. Myself, I do like the ability to take the longer runs, but I also have enough experience to know my own safety limits. As stated in an earlier post many variables come into play. One that was not mentioned was the higher speed limits out west. In most cases Im comfortable with a 50 mph average between 700 - 800 miles, 47 mph avg 800 - 1200, 45 mph avg for anything above 1200. The longer miles do allow to build more sleep time, but also require more fuel and restroom stops, and have more potental delays due to construction, accidents or weather. An experienced dispatcher plays an important part in dispatching the longer runs. The inexperienced dispatchers are more likely to want to impress the customer and not take into consideration that the load picks up and also delivers in a remote location that makes the mph avg more difficult to maintain, or that the driver is crossing the Rockies with their max load capacity. It all comes down to having educated and experienced people that know their / our limits to what can be done. Even air cargo has its limits. You will still need a truck to get it to the airport and then to its final destination. The last thing is information and communication. I dont even know how many times I have been told " IT MUST BE THERE BE 0200" Driver to dispatcher " Are you sure their receiving dept is open? " Im sure you know how this story ends. That in itself can allow for another 3-5 hours on the delivery end.

Last edited:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Ron;

Great post! I expected no less from you.

You could have prefaced your post by telling a short story of how far you have ridden a motorcycle straight through. Then, and only then, can people truely appreciate why you can be such a road warrior in your van.

Be safe in your travels brother. I sincerely appreciate you and all you do for our company.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I believe my max is over 1,000 if: 1. Well rested 2. At least 90% of Interstate 3. Minimal transit through large urban areas during business hours ,i.e. Chicago, Atlanta, etc. If the weather is bad, snow heavy rain or fog all bets are off. One of the worse things encountered by my experience with Dispatchers was that some were not only geographically challenged but did not realize there were other time zones other than the one they were located. Also when you leave a shipper late,will not adjust the time,just say "do the best you can", what a great way to put "the monkey on the back of a van driver already trying to average 50 mph.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive all the way, no matter if it's 600 miles run or 2000+... before dispatching they ask me if I can do it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll make the best time I can. There ARE limits though. When I know I'm getting too tired, I'll find a place to shut down for a bit. That load won't get there faster if I'm in the ditch upside down, after all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
last week did a 900 and a 1200 miler back to back....ugh....but I did get sleep between the 2 and there were a few extra hrs in the 1200er....it was ready early and I hustled this fat butt over to get it...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, it's rarely the miles I do on ONE load. But I commonly string several together with naps where time allows. I think my longest thread was Dayton-Detroit-Bad Axe-90 min nap in Rolla,MO-Stephenville,TX-Irving,TX.
I think it was about 1900 miles total. Most others I have of that distance definitely have 2-3 hour naps jammed in them somewhere.
My wife seems to LOVE waking me after I've shut down for two hours for a 200 miler. What a peach!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, it's rarely the miles I do on ONE load. But I commonly string several together with naps where time allows. I think my longest thread was Dayton-Detroit-Bad Axe-90 min nap in Rolla,MO-Stephenville,TX-Irving,TX.
I think it was about 1900 miles total. Most others I have of that distance definitely have 2-3 hour naps jammed in them somewhere.
My wife seems to LOVE waking me after I've shut down for two hours for a 200 miler. What a peach!!!

she just cares about you soooo much...cuzz you are such a peachy guy.....LOL

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
For Universal, it is always booked at 55 MPH. They do not have a limit that I am aware of. However, they would prefer a break after 10 hours. For me, it depends on a number of things. How rested I am is the biggest. If I only got two hours of sleep the night before then 600 to 700 is my personal limit. If I am rested then it is up to 1500 depending on the excepted day of delivery after pick up. For example this week it was go to Bloomington IN pick up and run to Buffalo NY. It was a 125 mile Dead Head (yes, I was paid for that) then another 850 miles to my drop. However, it does not have to be delivered until tomorrow anytime after 10 am. So, for me it was a good run. I could actually come home and rest in my own bed and not leave until the next day and still get there on time. Now if it would have been the next day, I wouldn't have taken it because I had already driven for almost 15 hours and I knew it would of been a safety issue for myself or others.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For example this week it was go to Bloomington IN pick up and run to Buffalo NY. It was a 125 mile Dead Head (yes, I was paid for that) then another 850 miles to my drop.
You must have taken the scenic route through Green Bay.

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
You must have taken the scenic route through Green Bay.
To where Bloomington? No, I was in Effingham IL. From there straight back to Effingham, then on to Buffalo NY. I just input the address on my google maps on my iPhone. So, you may be right. It might have taken me that way. I am new to this and I am learning the tricks.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To where Bloomington? No, I was in Effingham IL. From there straight back to Effingham, then on to Buffalo NY. I just input the address on my google maps on my iPhone. So, you may be right. It might have taken me that way. I am new to this and I am learning the tricks.
Why would you have to double back to Effingham?

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
I did so because it did not delivery until Monday and this was Thursday for pick up, so dispatch told me to go home loaded.