Cargo vans and sprinters *ROUNDTABLE*

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
As we fast approach the opening of our office in Woodhaven,MI that will be supporting the cargo vans and sprinters only, we are inviting independents and O/O's to attend a free lunch in the Toledo,OH area to discuss industry topics along with concerns. This will NOT be a recruiting event. It is a fact finding mission.

This free lunch will be open to the 1st 20 persons that show interest in the event and that would like to have a voice in how we adapt new procedures and would like to be apart of a change.

This will also include discussions on insurance requirments,customs issues,safe practices,and changes that you would like to see that are long overdue.

The date and time will be announced 2 weeks prior to the meeting, and to have a little fun we will raffle off a 32' flat screen Panasonic T.V. That's a 1 in 20 chance!! And also 2 door prizes of a $100 bill.(USD).

It's too early to say for sure when it will be but the date will be set for March 2011. Toledo has been picked for convienence.

Thanks!! :D

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm there as long as the date isn't the 24th-26th. I have to be in Nashville on those days. Other than that, count me in.

Lookin forward to it,
Danny

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So this is a fact finding mission because you don't know what CV and Sprinter concerns are? The input will be used to set the structure when you start signing people on?
You already see John E's model that is working quite successfully...and would be hard to improve upon...
I'll let you use my Motto...."Drive Less, Make More"...

Further: Never lose fact that we O/O's are business people as well Just like you and desire the same level respect and courtesy.
Actually listen to your O/O's input and make them a part of your business plan..you don't know everything...
When we refuse a load..it is because it does nothing for our business plan...sometimes ideas collide...but somewhere in the middle WE too realize you are doing what you need to make a successful business. only thru good communications can we both achieve our common goal of being profitable.....Never make an assumption that says "we know what you need"....that is suicide.
We need each other....We can not work without each other getting along.

Last edited:

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
so this is a fact finding mission because you don't know what cv and sprinter concerns are? The input will be used to set the structure when you start signing people on?
You already see john e's model that is working quite successfully...and would be hard to improve upon...
I'll let you use my motto...."drive less, make more"...

Further: Never lose fact that we o/o's are business people as well just like you and desire the same level respect and courtesy.
Actually listen to your o/o's input and make them a part of your business plan..you don't know everything...
When we refuse a load..it is because it does nothing for our business plan...sometimes ideas collide...but somewhere in the middle we too realize you are doing what you need to make a successful business. Only thru good communications can we both achieve our common goal of being profitable.....never make an assumption that says "we know what you need"....that is suicide.
We need each other....we can not work without each other getting along.

lmao!!!! Ur hilarious!!

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
So this is a fact finding mission because you don't know what CV and Sprinter concerns are? The input will be used to set the structure when you start signing people on?
You already see John E's model that is working quite successfully...and would be hard to improve upon...
I'll let you use my Motto...."Drive Less, Make More"...

Further: Never lose fact that we O/O's are business people as well Just like you and desire the same level respect and courtesy.
Actually listen to your O/O's input and make them a part of your business plan..you don't know everything...
When we refuse a load..it is because it does nothing for our business plan...sometimes ideas collide...but somewhere in the middle WE too realize you are doing what you need to make a successful business. only thru good communications can we both achieve our common goal of being profitable.....Never make an assumption that says "we know what you need"....that is suicide.
We need each other....We can not work without each other getting along.

Here's what I know- I know more than you, I pay better than John E, and my fact finding mission is simple, I dont know how to steal from my people, meaning the fees and the percentages for cargo vans? Really? So I want to learn why these cost exist, because I just don't know how to follow the rules of corporate America. Anyways, done with you and your rambling. If you have something to say show up and March and I will listen, but until then let the good people out here have a voice in this matter.

What do you know about the cargo van freight? How to drive it down the road? Congratulations!!

And if no one cares about this free lunch then they can show up for 2 seconds to get a free t.v.!! But I'm sure I have a hidden agenda according to you.

Can you send me a map on how to get to Toledo, I might not know that either.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
lmao!!!! Ur hilarious!!

Which part do you find amusing John...?

The part where we should work together?

How about mutual respect?

that we are both business persons?

your sense of humor eludes me....

I did not say you know nothing...I said you don't know everything...or you would not be having a fact finding mission to have input...

Hidden agenda? I did not infer that..you did....sir.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
John,

Hypothetical question,

I have a 2005 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis with a custom box. I have space for 4 pallets (8 stacked and yes they can be plastic totes stacked) on the floor with 3000 lbs of cargo capacity.

Does the age of this van matter to you?

Would an Yellow Ryder cutaway be also of interest to you?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
John,

You made a fairly general statement saying you were going to solicite input from current van drivers. OVM responded with some general comments that a lot of companies lose sight of.

I didn't see any accusations, I saw an experienced O/O offering some basic principles... the rest is details.

Just a note.... if you post looking for insight, people are going to respond with what they gather you're looking for. Shooting them down quick, instead of explaining maybe thats not quite what you were looking for, will cause otherwise excellent candidates to simply bypass your company.

Just a thought.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Wow...Dreamer seen JD's post the same way I did....and it seems we both seen it in a Negative light....

Kind of reminded me of a Recruiter and Owner from another carrier that tried "kind of the same thing" a month or so ago.....Whatever happen to those 2???? :rolleyes:

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
JD Clark, Your responce to OVM Shows a lot about you. I would hate to think what it would be like to be leased on to your company..

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
I thought we had such a roundtable...called expeditorsonline, which is far more inclusive than the 20 would-be respondents who are more likely drawn simply by the idea of freebies than free idea exchange...

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
While John's WYSIWYG "shoot from the hip" style may seen crass, I have known of John's company for a good three years now and can attest that he has always been kind and helpful to others in the business. It sounds as if John is offering to help owner operators of small vehicles succeed and not starve in this current economic climate. On the level he is wanted to do this, I'm not sure that it's a task that I would want to endeavor to fill.

So often I see complaints on here that carriers are just following the status quo, just doing what they see is working for others. Suddenly, her comes a company with an idea to do something a bit unorthodox, and the responses are that he should just follow the model of a favorite carrier. I believe there is a place for all of these guys to do what they do.

Just because J. D. Clark Logistics is a new name on here doesn't mean they're that new in town and don't know freight.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I know pretty much nothing about cargo/Sprinter van expediting and generally don't put much effort into learning about it because my interests lie elsewhere. However, the idea of a van round table is interesting.

If the event happens and Diane and I are in the area, I might ask to attend, not as one of the 20 participants but as an observer. It would be fascinating to listen to a round table discussion about the business goals and issues van expediters have. If the event was well planned and properly facilitated, it could be a valuable use of time.

A round table discussion that is not carrier specific has the potential to generate new thinking and insights for all participants. You might not know ahead of time what the results might be, but that is the very reason to have a round table discussion with people who know the business from varying perspectives. That is, to mix thoughts, think creatively and discover what might be there to discover.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow...Dreamer seen JD's post the same way I did....and it seems we both seen it in a Negative light....

Kind of reminded me of a Recruiter and Owner from another carrier that tried "kind of the same thing" a month or so ago.....Whatever happen to those 2???? :rolleyes:

I agree, a very bizarre response to say the least. There was nothing at all wrong with what OVM had to say.

I wonder when the U2 video links will appear? LOL....