Cargo vans and sprinters *ROUNDTABLE*

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I thought we had such a roundtable...called expeditorsonline, which is far more inclusive than the 20 would-be respondents who are more likely drawn simply by the idea of freebies than free idea exchange...

It is an on line open discussion forum. However to do what John has in mind would end up being a very large mistake, as he is wanting input from van and sprinter O/O's and drivers.
Here in the open forum there would be many others, whom do not drive a van/ sprinter that would comment and as some here say want to "ban the van". Lets just say what works for a few people does not always work for everyone.

John
I'm wishing you well in this endeavor. Would like to be there but our area of deliveries keep us in the southeast.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
John,

Hypothetical question,

I have a 2005 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis with a custom box. I have space for 4 pallets (8 stacked and yes they can be plastic totes stacked) on the floor with 3000 lbs of cargo capacity.

Does the age of this van matter to you?

Would an Yellow Ryder cutaway be also of interest to you?

The age of your vehicle is not so much a concern as the mechanical aspect is important. I will have each unit inspected regardless of age and have my mechanic make the decision if it is a sound, safe and reliable vehicle. As a independent it will be your responsibility to provide yourself a safe and reliable work enviroment.

A yellow Ryder cutaway? do you mean a cube van? Sure, as long as it will fit 2 standard size skids, thats the minimum requirments.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Are you only taking people who live in Ohio? Still waiting for an answer to my PM from 3 days ago.... even a "no thanks" would be considered polite.

fired at you from my Droideka

No, Ohio is the best place for this discussion. Fraser is 100 miles north and out of the way. As fas as the PM I answer them same day and apoligize if I did not get it out correctly. I have sent messages to people to make sure I am doing it the right way. This a different format for me to get use to not seeing a actual sent mail sign. I will go back and look. If you do not receive it please send another and I will try again.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
While John's WYSIWYG "shoot from the hip" style may seen crass, I have known of John's company for a good three years now and can attest that he has always been kind and helpful to others in the business. It sounds as if John is offering to help owner operators of small vehicles succeed and not starve in this current economic climate. On the level he is wanted to do this, I'm not sure that it's a task that I would want to endeavor to fill.

So often I see complaints on here that carriers are just following the status quo, just doing what they see is working for others. Suddenly, her comes a company with an idea to do something a bit unorthodox, and the responses are that he should just follow the model of a favorite carrier. I believe there is a place for all of these guys to do what they do.

Just because J. D. Clark Logistics is a new name on here doesn't mean they're that new in town and don't know freight.

Thanks Jeff. No worries. He's in every post always with a witty comeback. Some people you may never keep happy no matter.
The round table is designed to bring concerns out, maybe I can help. Maybe I cant, but a free lunch and a t.v. well I didnt think there was much to complain about. Oh well. See you in Florida~

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
JD Clark, Your responce to OVM Shows a lot about you. I would hate to think what it would be like to be leased on to your company..

Sorry you feel that way. Can't keep everyone happy, apparently he did what he set out to do, as he does in every post. Just irratating. I will continue the operate the way I do and help who I can along the way. Everyone knows where to find me:D

Reactions: 1 person

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
The age of your vehicle is not so much a concern as the mechanical aspect is important. I will have each unit inspected regardless of age and have my mechanic make the decision if it is a sound, safe and reliable vehicle. As a independent it will be your responsibility to provide yourself a safe and reliable work enviroment.

A yellow Ryder cutaway? do you mean a cube van? Sure, as long as it will fit 2 standard size skids, thats the minimum requirments.

What weight capabilities do you require?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
What weight capabilities do you require?

I have different types of vehicles I work with. Some can only handle 1500lbs. I say minimum 2 skids cause thats the norm. I would like to be at 2000lbs if possible but i wont say No. You will just be limited.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
While John's WYSIWYG "shoot from the hip" style may seen crass, I have known of John's company for a good three years now and can attest that he has always been kind and helpful to others in the business. It sounds as if John is offering to help owner operators of small vehicles succeed and not starve in this current economic climate. On the level he is wanted to do this, I'm not sure that it's a task that I would want to endeavor to fill.

So often I see complaints on here that carriers are just following the status quo, just doing what they see is working for others. Suddenly, her comes a company with an idea to do something a bit unorthodox, and the responses are that he should just follow the model of a favorite carrier. I believe there is a place for all of these guys to do what they do.

Just because J. D. Clark Logistics is a new name on here doesn't mean they're that new in town and don't know freight.

Read my reply...I did not say he knew nothing about freight, never even inferred it...I said he did not know everything, as pertaining to vans since he admitted earlier not to have much to do with them....I think my 11 years in CV's quantifies my opinion...well on the other hand I don't know everything from the office side like Mr. Clark does...

Hope that explains my reply better...

Yes Mr Clark...I am in every post looking out for my fellow CV'ers...

And you thought this comment was hilarious?

Further: Never lose fact that we O/O's are business people as well Just like you and desire the same level respect and courtesy.
Actually listen to your O/O's input and make them a part of your business plan..you don't know everything...
When we refuse a load..it is because it does nothing for our business plan...sometimes ideas collide...but somewhere in the middle WE too realize you are doing what you need to make a successful business. only thru good communications can we both achieve our common goal of being profitable.....Never make an assumption that says "we know what you need"....that is suicide.
We need each other....We can not work without each other getting along.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Read my reply...I did not say he knew nothing about freight, never even inferred it...I said he did not know everything, as pertaining to vans since he admitted earlier not to have much to do with them....I think my 11 years in CV's quantifies my opinion...well on the other hand I don't know everything from the office side like Mr. Clark does...

Hope that explains my reply better...

Yes Mr Clark...I am in every post looking out for my fellow CV'ers...

And you thought this comment was hilarious?

1st, I will apoligize, maybe I read your post wrong. 2nd, I do know ALOT about cargo van freight from my eyes. What I don't know is what everyone is experiencing on a daily basis from other carriers. When speaking to people I hear total crap. Rates less than what I consider to be in the best interest of the operator. Fee's,percentages? being paid off "air miles" and not national miles (refering to PC Miler). So I will take the opportunity in March to learn more about concerns and answer questions that relate to what I believe are fair.

You of all people should understand to start a trk for less than $150 is insane. And that When I work with a truck I have to keep certain things in mind. It takes $ to live on the road, send money back home, fuel,maintainance,payments,etc. Also areas where is best to send a truck so they will be reloaded after their break, what the money is gonna be like out of that area,etc. I am truely concerned and I take it personal when I feel someone steps on my idea of trying to put forth a effort to hear people out.

It will be easier to meet in a setting thats face to face to show 1 that I care, 2, to put a face with a name, and 3, I have many new ideas I feel that will help and their are many ideas that I may want to implement once I listen to operators in this meeting.

Too many companies work to move the truck. But to where? Utah? Reposition at your expense? No way. I have been working daily with my dispatchers to teach them why it's not ok to move a truck to Utah, or why we have to charge to d/h back into a better area. Or how to read a volume matrix that customers supply on where their suppliers are and on average how many shipments they predict to ship that month. It's a science almost.

Also, I want to educate the operator that may shy away from Canadian loads, but the $ is awesome, how to run to TX and be the 1st out, etc. There's more to this than just moving a truck. And I too want to look out for OUR fellow CV'ers!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr Clark your clearer explanation works for me..Thank you

some day we will talk face to face I am sure.

I am not always a wise cracker....not when it comes to the treatment of my fellow CV'ers...I take it seriously. I truly welcome you to our close knit circle, your effort to improve the lot of CV'ers will not go un-noticed...We need a few more like you and Mr Elliot to make them "other" carriers take notice and hurt them in the wallet. That is my goal....We are tired of being screwed over..

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Would be interested in attending but am a little skeptical . I personally called and left a message with phone number this morning and last Wednesday with no return phone call. You have experienced people that are interested , then you blow them off . Kind of raises the ole eyebrows a little bit . Jeff

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Would be interested in attending but am a little skeptical . I personally called and left a message with phone number this morning and last Wednesday with no return phone call. You have experienced people that are interested , then you blow them off . Kind of raises the ole eyebrows a little bit . Jeff

Im not in the office and it's best until March to reach me here on the PM. I am traveling for the next couple weeks and not returning messages until I get in. Sorry for the inconvienence.

Please ask April to send you a packet so we can get your info on file. And I will have it when I return. Thanks again!!

Office 586-746-1345, I guess you have it:(

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jeffman i know how it feel's to call and leave message's.i have called three different people here from expeditors online in this thread and haven't heard nothing back from them.one is from the one that said to call someoneand they would send a packet.been 2 weeks have not gotten one yet. No pm back either or phone calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Jeffman i know how it feel's to call and leave message's.i have called three different people here from expeditors online in this thread and haven't heard nothing back from them.one is from the one that said to call someoneand they would send a packet.been 2 weeks have not gotten one yet. No pm back either or phone calls.

You have a PM.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I will accept cargo vans and sprinter vans.

Any idea on when you will be signing CV's on? Have you come up with any requirements for the CV or driver other than the 2 skid requirement you already mentioned? Are you going to be taking drivers nationwide or just from a certain area?

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Any idea on when you will be signing CV's on? Have you come up with any requirements for the CV or driver other than the 2 skid requirement you already mentioned? Are you going to be taking drivers nationwide or just from a certain area?

We are currently accepting independents at the moment. I will consider all trucks at the moment and will be based on individual equipment. I will not discriminate against GVW.And our area is nationwide.

Anyone interested can contact April at the office and get a packet on file for when we are ready to move forward. Thanks!!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We are currently accepting independents at the moment. I will consider all trucks at the moment and will be based on individual equipment. I will not discriminate against GVW.And our area is nationwide.

Anyone interested can contact April at the office and get a packet on file for when we are ready to move forward. Thanks!!

Thank you.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I would be interested in attending if schedule permitted.

I just sent you a PM about 15 minutes ago. We are going to start this week with a handful of vans and sprinters due to capacity needs.

For those of you that have shown interest I have started to reply to all your PM's. It may take a couple days to get back with everyone. To help start the process, please call and speak to April about getting a informational packet sent out. 586-746-1345 and we will start the process.

She will be out on Wednesday and returning Thursday the 24th.

Thanks again!!