Cargo Vanning in Sub-Zero Weather

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope, sleeping bag not on floor and I have a double wide Artic bag for my double wide..... But if don't get a load pretty soon I will be sleeping at home tonight since I am only 100 miles away.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to make my van comfortable enough as it is now. But I am sure that, sporting 407k miles, I'm not going to permanently attach much to this b1tch at all. Next truck, sure. But insulation may be about it for this stretch can!!

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I insulated with "reflectix" on the walls and the ceiling. Then I partitioned off with blankets hanging from the ceiling right behind the front seats and about 4 foot back. Its a lot easier to heat as small of an area as possible. Used to heat with a Mr. Buddy (smaller version of the big buddy) until I got a generator then switched to an electric heater. OVM is correct about the moisture issue with the propane heat. Condensation everywhere. Used to lay on couch cushions as an air mattress lets the cold air seep into your body.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I insulated with "reflectix" on the walls and the ceiling. Then I partitioned off with blankets hanging from the ceiling right behind the front seats and about 4 foot back. Its a lot easier to heat as small of an area as possible. Used to heat with a Mr. Buddy (smaller version of the big buddy) until I got a generator then switched to an electric heater. OVM is correct about the moisture issue with the propane heat. Condensation everywhere. Used to lay on couch cushions as an air mattress lets the cold air seep into your body.

OMG....air mattress on a cold floor....brings back nightmares.....:)

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hang an old unzipped sleeping bag, with an adjustable shower curtain rod, right in the middle of the cargo area so I have a smaller space to heat, helps a lot.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a lot of successful drivers out here using article bags.

I read an arctic about those article bags once. I won't be needing the article bag tonight. I'm in K.C. where it is currently a balmy 15º

Last edited:

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a generator and for those really cold nights an electric blanket works awesome.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
You Vanners are Brave, or ??? I had a van once with a bed, but it never hauled any cargo....sleeping on floors, couch cushions, rubber baby Buggy mats , Nope...today I dont get aorund that easy Ill keep my Sleeper, But I give you cats your Props...Propanes by product is Moisture, I have a free standing fireplace in my house in the porch area and on days like this the windows freeze up from that moisture....I like the Electric Blanket Idea but when you get outta that bed its colder then Santas backyard...I think Id have to spring for the ESPAR....I gotta have some comfort, the road beats us all up, Comfort is a must....I tell ya what I like is a Heating pad on my floor, get up, put my feet down there and ahhhhhhh, Stay warm fellas...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You Vanners are Brave, or ??? I had a van once with a bed, but it never hauled any cargo....sleeping on floors, couch cushions, rubber baby Buggy mats , Nope...today I dont get aorund that easy Ill keep my Sleeper, But I give you cats your Props...Propanes by product is Moisture, I have a free standing fireplace in my house in the porch area and on days like this the windows freeze up from that moisture....I like the Electric Blanket Idea but when you get outta that bed its colder then Santas backyard...I think Id have to spring for the ESPAR....I gotta have some comfort, the road beats us all up, Comfort is a must....I tell ya what I like is a Heating pad on my floor, get up, put my feet down there and ahhhhhhh, Stay warm fellas...

I've played with the idea in my cargo van of spreading out an electric blanket on floor as an insulator........

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
some of us are talking 30-20 degrees and some of us are talking 0 to -40 degrees....think your van is well insulated.....take your van out to -30 to -40 in an open lot with a 20-30 mph wind....I guarantee you'll find out how good it really is....LOL

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use an air mattress, but doggone it, not on the floor. That would be colder than my ex-wife's heart and let me tell you that is plenty cold.

I have a cot that I place the air mattress on. Further, tests with a small fan powered by "The Gang of Four* show that air circulation is key to a good, warm sleep. The Big Buddy provides sufficient heat, opening the front windows a smidgeon keeps you from dying, and the fan aimed at the ceiling circulates air so you have warm air under the bed as well as over it.

On top of the air mattress-- an old sleeping bag that has lost its zipper but is still very functional for keeping warm.

*The Gang of Four consists of four 7 ah 12 volt gel-cell batteries wired in parallel. That gives a deep enough pack that I don't have to worry about the fan quitting in the middle of the night, and still light enough that you don't have to be Superman to carry the pack indoors for charging when you get home. It's a small pack so forget about big power from it, but it'll run the fan alright.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
with Espar.....I also point the hose under the bed at night....and redirect to front whilst awake....

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Getting out of bed to a cold van from my giant artic bag is pretty simple. Hit the remote start button hanging right next to the head of my bed, read the news on my android a bit, get up to a warm van.