Cargo Van Cargo Vanners What GPS do you use?

mx377

Rookie Expediter
I'm in need of a new GPS.... Which one do you use? & What do you like best about it?

Thanks for your input!:cool:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Garmin and what I like best about it is it isn't a tom tom.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Reactions: Pro3500

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Garmin nuvi 2552LM or something to that effect. Free maps but no traffic, serves me well but occasionally goes wonky trying to shave 2 miles or 2 minutes off by taking "shortcuts"

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
I'm looking for one also, I've used both Garmin and tom tom ( last one a tom tom) both where good units. Have not used a megellan gps yet, I'm look at the two brands I used before. Best to write down the features and options you are looking for, and price range.one thing you should do is get one with life time maps and traffic. Some are loaded with us only and some with US, Canada and Mexico maps, may want to look at that.
Read reviews and use your list and you will find what is best and fits you. If you find one and not sure, just ask someone may have had one or is using it and have info on it. Many choices, good place to look amazon and Walmart online, happy shopping.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Garmin. I'm on about my 4th or 5th in 10 years. Just not worth updating them.
Just get one as loaded as you can afford.
Lane assist is great!
Traffic is very nice.
Moderate sized screen. Like.

Walmart.com usually about $20 cheaper than in-store.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...serves me well but occasionally goes wonky trying to shave 2 miles or 2 minutes off by taking "shortcuts"
You must have yours set to the Shorter Distance option. I use the Faster Time mode and my Nűvi does just the opposite. It gets all wonky when I deviate from her route in favor of a shortcut.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I like about garmin compared to TT. Every tom tom I have tried puts you within a quarter to a half mile of the destination. With the garmins 99% of the time they put you right in front of the building. Whatever you get I would go for lifetime maps it equels big savings. Murry just likes buying new toys.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
What I like about garmin compared to TT. Every tom tom I have tried puts you within a quarter to a half mile of the destination. With the garmins 99% of the time they put you right in front of the building. Whatever you get I would go for lifetime maps it equels big savings. Murry just likes buying new toys.

I won't deny that. They usually fail me after a couple of years anyway.
We had 4 Garmins and 4 vans until recently. One of the NUVIs crapped out so we sold a van too. I really like that 1:1 ratio. ;)

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Garmin with the big screen forget the model got it for 260. On fleabay hasn't gotten me lost yet or directed me across the ocean yet.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a Garmin. After using it a while it earned a name. Stupid. About once every half dozen times it will say "arriving at your destination, on (side)". Whichever side of the road it tells you will be the wrong side of the road. About 4 out of 5 times it will tell you that anywhere from a quarter to half a mile from the actual destination. It periodically wants to exit a perfectly good freeway just to go an exit or two along the frontage road before getting back on the perfectly good freeway again. It has lifetime maps and traffic.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's really uncommon in my experiences with three garmins. Now I have had occasions in construction or a new section of freeway where the lanes have moved 60 ft right or left it thinks I'm in the wrong spot. Pretty easy to figure out. Once out of 25 times it might say the wrong side of the road for an address but again no big deal

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What I like about garmin compared to TT. Every tom tom I have tried puts you within a quarter to a half mile of the destination. With the garmins 99% of the time they put you right in front of the building.
Tom Tom leads the pack and is best for Europe, Garmin is the best one for North America, each for the same reason of accuracy and routing.

Some people think all brands of GPS are more or less the same, because they mostly use the same map data. But it's the manner in which they incorporate that data that matters, the type of routing algorithms used, and how the various coordinates are referenced on the map. Garmin leads the pack on that one. All other brands are lagging behind.

Whatever you get I would go for lifetime maps it equels big savings.
Not only savings, but every map update comes with improvements in routing and accuracy, in addition to updating the maps.

I would also recommend lifetime traffic. The traffic often isn't that accurate, because it can change in seconds, but a traffic alert, combined with a CB, can often prevent you from getting stuck in some nasty backups.

As for what I use, I still have my old, ancient Garmin StreetPilot® c550 from 2005 or 2006, with the old style (and less accurate and timely traffic). I keep the maps updated, though, so it stays accurate.

I also use Google Navigator and Google Maps, to find locations that the Garmin cannot find. If nothing else I can locate them on Google and them browse the map on Garmin and have it go there.

I'm looking at upgrading to a unit with a few more bells and whistles. The newest Nuvi 3597 LMT has HD Digital Traffic (real-time updates every 30 seconds, using a number of data points, including the cell phone locations and speed of a gazillion drivers), which is shaping up to be the most accurate traffic/display system yet. It also has a completely overhauled interface which is far superior to the previous models. That's probably the one I'll go with.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use a Tom Tom..do not have any major complaints ....if there is ...Google it...because if its not on Google..it does NOT exist..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Currently using HP laptop 16" screen with Streets and trips. Works good, also have drivers daily log book installed.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I prefer Garmins. However, I am 'stuck' with a Tom Tom that was given to me a looong time ago and it refuses to break so I can buy me a Garmin.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
A rand mcnally 720 with lifetime map updates....i miss my sprinter windshield because it hid the 7inch screen in the corner very well lol

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I also like Streets and Trips. With a Bluetooth mouse it's easy to see where you are in the "big picture". Garmins in the city can get you where you do not want to be quickly.

Stay safe

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
If this help walmart is have a early April 1st sale not sure when it ends. I just ordered a tom tom that was 139.99 for $88, was going for a Garmin was 179.99 for $129 but was gone before me or my wife could get order in. They are going fast.

DST001

Expert Expediter
I use a Garmin my wife has a TomTom and I can't stand the POS it will have you driving around in circles trying to find a place it gets very frustrating and has almost gone out the window a couple times lol