Cargo Van Cargo Vanners What GPS do you use?

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Got another question. is the fastest route contingent upon the traffic. does this truck GPS have routing that would be different from a conventional Auto GPS. understand what the 18 wheelers have to go through but I Drive a cargo van

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Got another question. is the fastest route contingent upon the traffic. does this truck GPS have routing that would be different from a conventional Auto GPS. understand what the 18 wheelers have to go through but I Drive a cargo van
Yeah it's very different. A truck GPS won't route you on the parkways in New York and New Jersey and other roads where trucks cannot be, a car GPS will, every time. A car GPS will run you down residential streets where a truck GPS won't.

My old Garmin had setting for shortest/fastest for both car and truck. My new one doesn't have the settings for truck.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for clarifying. I would assume your new GPS would be set for fastest route after accounting. What type of traffic avoidance does this have

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Okay I looked into the p_c miler there is a phone application called copilot seems like you're having some trouble up dating

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
does this truck GPS have routing that would be different from a conventional Auto GPS. understand what the 18 wheelers have to go through but I Drive a cargo van
My Garmin also has the optional railroad setting. I understand what train engineers have to go through but I drive a cargo van, sometimes in rail yards as pictured below.
Rail%20Yard_zpspvrouxz6.jpg

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a cargo van, but use the truck setting on my Garmin. Reason: I live near Chicago, and a GPS set on the car settings will take you on Chicago's boulevards and Lake Shore Drive if those are the fastest/shortest routes. Fastest shortest way I can think of to getting a ticket....... The truck setting keeps you out of that, or if you DO have to use those roads you at least get warned by the device that you're on shaky ground legally.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
I don't quite understand. you drive a cargo van it sounds like the time you have to get to your destination is limited therefore you may have to exceed the speed limit. lakeshore in the boulevards have more please and therefore up better chance of you being pulled over and not being legal I'm fishing here

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't quite understand. you drive a cargo van it sounds like the time you have to get to your destination is limited therefore you may have to exceed the speed limit. lakeshore in the boulevards have more please and therefore up better chance of you being pulled over and not being legal I'm fishing here
It's Chicago--- what can I tell ya? The only legal vehicles on boulevards and Lake Shore Drive are cars, certain RVs (must have RV plates) and CTA buses. My van has "B" truck plates. According to city ordinance, truck plates of any kind are illegal on boulevards or Lake Shore Drive except for access to certain buildings which can be reached no other way--- and then you're only legal if you can prove it.

The Rahmulan Empire is a silly place--- I stay away from it as much as I can.

Reactions: Moot

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
anybody remember the show Ice Road Truckers they drove on the ice in Alaska Canada I wonder if there's expedited freight there

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's like the parkways in Jersey, New York and Maryland. If the sign says "Passenger Cars Only," believe it. If you have a passenger van with the seats removed to haul cargo, it's a cargo van now and not a passenger car.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My PC Miler isn't internet but it is 5 years old. I like it because you can program how fast you drive on what kind of roads. So you have really accurate ETA it won't change time zone on you as you drive, it always on eastern no matter where you are. It will also tell you the second turn, like turn right then below it, it will say .5 miles turn left. That way you know to get in the left lane immediately. Really nice for semi's

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
So how does this give you traffic information is it through FM radio signal in addition referring to passenger car only what do you know

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Hey what's your take on getting a commercial driver license for a cargo van. now in Ohio they say if you pick up or deliver free in Ohio you have to have a commercial tag driving through Ohio no big deal

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to drive TT, but purchased my Sprinter in '11 to drive.
I still use my 2010 purchased Cobra 7700, but in the "Car" mode as well may check Google Earth.
Am satisfied and don't need to change or purchase new as of yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.8 KB · Views: 27