Cargo Van V. Sprinter

guido4475

Not a Member
I would think it makes a difference no matter what carrier youre at.A Sprinter seems to be the preferred choice amongst customer requests for a vehicle.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Generally the more freight you can carry the better. That much is pretty clear. When I had a Sprinter, did I make more than I would have w/ a van? Yea, I probably did. By that I mean my paychecks were a bit bigger w/ that thing than they would have been w/ my Ford.

But I also had a $700 payment & $300 insurance. I figured I had to make $1600-1700 more per month to make it worth it. The reason for the extra $6-700 is because you need fuel, maintenance, & such to make that $1,000 for the payment & insurance.

For others the Sprinter has obviously worked out well. For me I didn't think it was worth it. This was 5 years ago. Things could very well be different today. A lot of people seem to be running em & doing just fine.

You have to factor in the cost of one & see if it leaves you w/ more $$ in your pocket, not just if your paychecks are bigger. If you'll end up w/ more, by all means get one.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Why not ask Anne M. at Bolt for some compensation comparisons between the E 350 long wheel based and the Sprinters among their fleet.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Generally the more freight you can carry the better. That much is pretty clear. When I had a Sprinter, did I make more than I would have w/ a van? Yea, I probably did. By that I mean my paychecks were a bit bigger w/ that thing than they would have been w/ my Ford.

But I also had a $700 payment & $300 insurance. I figured I had to make $1600-1700 more per month to make it worth it. The reason for the extra $6-700 is because you need fuel, maintenance, & such to make that $1,000 for the payment & insurance.

Insurance is no where close to 300 on the one I drive. Fuel will cost no more than a van so that is not an extra expense.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
On the fuel part of it, right it costs about the same. The thing is though, to make $1,000 you need to buy fuel. So there's another $300 lets say. Then you need to cover that $300, so it's another $90. Plus other little things ya need out there & that's where the total comes from.

Insurance rates vary on how much you insured it for, where ya live, etc. I had a group rate w/ EGL & have a perfect driving record. So maybe I got ripped off. Considering it's an insurance company it wouldn't suprise me.

It still doesn't change that the OP needs to figure out how much these expenses are, figure out how much he'd make w/ a Sprinter vs a Ford/GM, & decide which will leave him w/ more $$.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
AND the final consideration....

How much is it worth to an individual to be able to stand up and put their pants on?

No man should be on their knees with their pants down around their ankles....just leaves a weird picture...:eek:

I did almost 6 yrs in a CV before I figured I deserved a little more comfort for all my hard work....there IS more then money involved in this decision...

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Are you an Amazon? I stand up in the back of my Ford van and pull my pants on all the time... bent at the waist, but standing nonetheless ....

fired at you from my Droideka

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you an Amazon? I stand up in the back of my Ford van and pull my pants on all the time... bent at the waist, but standing nonetheless ....

fired at you from my Droideka

Nope...just had a big fat gut back then....couldn't bend over...*LOL*

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Insurance rates vary on how much you insured it for, where ya live, etc..

You got that right. When I lived in Grand Blanc Twp., I had a Flint mailing address. Vehicle insurance rates were substantially higher than the people who lived 2 streets south of me whose mailing addresses were Grand Blanc, and my driving record was clean. My agent told me that the insurance companies do not differentiate between what part of Flint you're in, not even by zip code. If it was Flint, your rates were going to be higher; and adding more coverage only compounded the cost. It's a nice little insurance company income angle. The same goes with any other area in the country where a mailing address may be associated with high auto theft/car-jacking/vandalism incidences.

BTW: in the case of my boyfriend, the cargo van works financially better for him; he has the extended wheelbase (it's GM so it's actually the frame that's extended, not the back of the van), 8 cylinder gasoline engine and a raised roof (so standing and maneuvering is not an issue). He has hauled what should have been Sprinter loads in the van on more than one occassion and been paid for such. You just have to make sure that, if you have a C/V and are being asked to haul a Sprinter-type load, that the pay for such is agreed upon before you take the load and your vehicle can handle it.

As far as the carrier themselves, if they take you on with a C/V, then they should know what you can haul, as long as they have the interior dimensions of your cargo area and load weight rating.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If your driving a $50,000 Sprinter and someone else is driving a $12,000 cargo van there will be a difference in what your insurance is.:rolleyes:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
If your driving a $50,000 Sprinter and someone else is driving a $12,000 cargo van there will be a difference in what your insurance is.:rolleyes:
But it could cost the same or less to insure a 50k Sprinter with a Bloomfield Hills, MI address as opposed to a 12k C/V with a Detroit address...however put them both in the same mailing address and the 50k would be more...location location location.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But it could cost the same or less to insure a 50k Sprinter with a Bloomfield Hills, MI address as opposed to a 12k C/V with a Detroit address...however put them both in the same mailing address and the 50k would be more...location location location.

Well that is if you get non-commercial insurance of course it because of two things, credit rating and location. BUT I have had commercial insurance several times in the last 20 years and there is no difference between where my business was within the state.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
To answer the original question--I don't know. I've only driven a sprinter with bolt, so I have nothing to compare. I do know that there is another sprinter driver at bolt who I correspond with, and twice in the last year when I arrived in Laredo after him, I departed before him. I have the capacity for three pallets, and he can only carry two. For the month of February I had sixteen loads and three of those were three pallet loads, and at the most, two additional loads would have been too tall for a cargo van. So the big question is whether you are making enough money off those extra sprinter loads to pay for the added cost of a sprinter. Comparing all pay to all miles for the month it averaged out to $.80 per mile.

eb

Monty

Expert Expediter
Sprinter is now importing the 3500, once more, in the 9900# rating.

Raising the floor 4" and having the wheel wells modified SHOULD allow you about 4500 pounds capacity.

That, coupled with the other Sprinter advantages should make a great expediter.

Last year when I bought my 2500, that 9900# option was not available.