Cargo Van Freight Volume

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
What company do you work for., Fastman? Is it a small mom and pop company? I'm with Panther and things seem to be steady for me. I think the bigger companies will always keep the vans running. Panther is one of the bigger carriers. I know the small mom and pop carriers are more affected by downturns in the market as well as when freight rates, drop.
Don't know about that. Saw the LA board for the Cat this week and it was 5 vans, 4 were teams, and it was a one a day board. Not too good for the second largest city in the US.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Looks like I picked a great time to get into expediting. Guess its a Joe thing, this isnt the first time that my timing is off.

I started in end of 08 right when the biggest manufacturer filed bankruptcy, GM ..I had 0 experience/0 $$..I made it...if you enjoy it..put your mind to it...dont be afraid to ask a lot of questions...good luck....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If you don't think that manufacturers aren't thinking up ways to stop waste, think again. The bean counters read those print outs each week on expedited freight and are probably chewing someones butt over the cost. Many of you have run one 2 pound box from Lansing to Laredo, right? Now add up a 1000 of those runs in one year at a 1000 dollars a run..If you were Ford, GM, and so on you would be telling yourself,,,now That's Stupid...............Don't tell the bush pilots, they may just jump in here.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you don't think that manufacturers aren't thinking up ways to stop waste, think again. The bean counters read those print outs each week on expedited freight and are probably chewing someones butt over the cost. Many of you have run one 2 pound box from Lansing to Laredo, right? Now add up a 1000 of those runs in one year at a 1000 dollars a run..If you were Ford, GM, and so on you would be telling yourself,,,now That's Stupid...............Don't tell the bush pilots, they may just jump in here.

exactly...if shippers do their job and inventory clerks do their jobs....outside of mechcanical breakdowns and stuff....we are NOT needed... well as many as there appears to be....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I started in end of 08 right when the biggest manufacturer filed bankruptcy, GM ..I had 0 experience/0 $$..I made it...if you enjoy it..put your mind to it...dont be afraid to ask a lot of questions...good luck....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

after all it is a job...sometimes you actually have to think and WORK at it....there is no automatic load...No load owed to you....

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Actually... Companies like large automotive companies have learned a while back that it is actually to cheaper to expedite then have large warehouses, staffed with union employees, insurance and the like.

There will always be suppliers behind on production who fear the fines of causing a production line shutdown. Things always break and will need a part rushed across the country in the back of your van. Yes, no one is now or ever will be perfect, that clerk will make mistakes from time to time, where you can fill the need.

Right now though... it kinda feels like these same questions were being asked about the same time last year. Could it be that a lot of expediters are thawing out from the winter and more eager to be on the road without having to drive through a blizzard? Increasing available trucks and having many chomping at the bit to be the lowest bidder? Could it be that shippers are just catching their breath after a busy first quarter? Maybe I am way off, wouldn't be the first time.

Third and Fourth quarter last year rocked. If you don't want to stick around that long...Let me know, I am in the market for a few addition fleet vehicles.

Be Prosperous (and running cheap wont get er done)

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only 2 loads this month.. but one paid 1600 and change for 1100 miles and the other 2800 and change for 1250 miles.. Just need one or two more loads this month and one load next month before the 12 because I have a fishing trip on the 16th of June in San Diego for 8 days...

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
America is a supply and demand country "thats all ive got to say about that"

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We go through this every year right about now. It slows down drastically, and part of that is that we're tied in heavily with automotive supply. The big manufacturers slow at this time, don't need as much freight shipped in May and June, and we sit as a result. But, it'll pick up.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Normally this is a busy time of year and keeps busy until the July shutdown. Even last year when the first few months were dead at this time it was building back up. I never remember this type if drastic slowdown starting in April.

That is what my records show. Everyone can be different of course but those numbers are from three different companies.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The single platform vehicle was and is the death knell of this business....No more are 300 different models made from 300 different set ups..... 10 models all take the same undercrriage...letting auto part compnies run multiple machines on the same part...hence less downtime for machine change overs and dies or whatever mechanical problem.... IMO the biz will never see the volumes pre 08....your dreaming...
also the auto makers are demanding a certain amount of parts be 10,000's ahead to maintain inventories or face contract failure.....all we do in most cases now and you have seen it....just doing inventory control....maintaining that level.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Platform sharing has been common since the sixties.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably more so as there is a larger variety models verses say 10 years ago. There is actually more freight out there verses years past. The difference from what I see is that it is more tailored to straights and tractors verses the vans. Add in more vans than previous years and it is a slow go for that segment.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That and add that parts made in Eygpt, Turkey and S, Africa now and probably other growing countries....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't buy a cargo van. Get a Lear jet. Get in on the ground (air) floor.
Wouldn't FMCSA have fun with that

1 load from a charter into Alexandria Mn.....a small 2 seater from Mi...I talked to the pilot...I asked if he was returning right away and he said oh yeah.....I asked about some kind of FAA log book....as soon as he was empty the log goes out the window and he turns into a private aircraft....I said Really?....Really?....holy smokes...maybe you straights should get your pilots license instead?....:)