Cargo Van Freight Volume

CoffeeDog

Rookie Expediter
Thinking about getting back into expediting after about a year away from the business. For you expediters who are currently in the business, how is freight volume for cargo vans these days? I'm in a Ford Van -Standard length. Are you staying busy? Any and all opinions appreciated.

Coffee Dog

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Volumes for cargo vans and $printers recently have been worse than anytime I can remember in the last 7 years... may not be a good time to get back in!

Sent from my SM-N900V using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
TT volume are up and they are busy, hopefully the expedite sector will pick up soon.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Way too many vans for the volume of van freight. It really is just that simple.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Too much available capacity in the past year. Rates have been driven down for various reasons. CVs seem to have suffered the most. I'm not sure but I'm guessing Sprinters are averaging less per mile. Less per week. And less per month. Measured any way you want to.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I started out 2 years ago I saw lots of cargo van and sprinter. I don't see as much in the past 12 months. Just my observation.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a ford extended, I've had 2 loads in 10 days, I wouldn't be jumping back in now, maybe jumping out if it don't pick up soon!

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
Local is on my list if it don't pickup, can't make those gummy bears sitting, and I have done to much of that

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
I have a ford extended, I've had 2 loads in 10 days, I wouldn't be jumping back in now, maybe jumping out if it don't pick up soon!

What company do you work for., Fastman? Is it a small mom and pop company? I'm with Panther and things seem to be steady for me. I think the bigger companies will always keep the vans running. Panther is one of the bigger carriers. I know the small mom and pop carriers are more affected by downturns in the market as well as when freight rates, drop.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
You want to stay busy in this business? Stretch a tractor, put about a 22' box on it with a liftgate and an ICC bar, and get your CDL with all the extras you can get like TSA, TWIC, etc. you could carry 20k in that truck and you probably wouldn't sit too much.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You want to stay busy in this business? Stretch a tractor, put about a 22' box on it with a liftgate and an ICC bar, and get your CDL with all the extras you can get like TSA, TWIC, etc. you could carry 20k in that truck and you probably wouldn't sit too much.

That almost exactly what I'm looking to do myself but can't find a carrier that'll accept me without class B experience

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Too much available capacity in the past year. Rates have been driven down for various reasons. CVs seem to have suffered the most. I'm not sure but I'm guessing Sprinters are averaging less per mile. Less per week. And less per month. Measured any way you want to.

Agreed.....I think there is about the same volume.....it is just spread over a wider playing field....too many players to feed everyone....

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
That almost exactly what I'm looking to do myself but can't find a carrier that'll accept me without class B experience

That could be the rub. The insurance is the issue. Our insurance carrier won't let us sign on people who just got a CDL, but occasionally they'll make an exception if the person has been driving straight trucks for over two years.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Looks like I picked a great time to get into expediting. Guess its a Joe thing, this isnt the first time that my timing is off.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way too many vans for the volume of van freight. It really is just that simple.

I am sure that plays a part but it does not explain the drastic drop that seemed to hit April 1st.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would mean straights and TT freight is busier than they were the first quarter. Does anyone know if this is true?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would mean straights and TT freight is busier than they were the first quarter. Does anyone know if this is true?

John posted truckload was steady...

All State straight been here 6 days driver says....KC