Cargo Van Expediter Featured on OverdriveOnline

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
.65 CPM ??? Regardless if it is loaded miles, or all mile pay, that is real low pay in my book.I wouldn't be too proud of numbers like that!

Go for it big guy...bravo....LOL....I am usually hung out to look like the bad guy...because I have higher expectations for CVers....

guido4475

Not a Member
Go for it big guy...bravo....LOL....I am usually hung out to look like the bad guy...because I have higher expectations for CVers....

Well, it's common sense here,and to admit to this publicy?? Figure in his cargo van payment, insurance, maintenace, gas, and what is he REALLY running for? He'd be better off as a Wal-Mart greeter!! Sad thing is, there are so many running for these kind of rates, and accept it as "normal" on top of that.One more reason why this expediting business is going down the toilet.Guys running for cheap rates.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
A typical day: Up at 6 a.m. for a 9:30 a.m.pickup, then "seven hours round-trip out and back,” he says, usually with very little wait time at the receiver.

“It’s beautiful, sun shining,” he said from the road early this month on his way home, where he sleeps every night.

300-400 mile radius of Nashville.

So, it's about an 11-14 hour day, 100,000 miles. Sleeps in his own bed, but I'm not sure I'd classify that as part time.

It is guys like this that help in one way to keep our rates low....while he is 74 and doing what he loves, I have NO admiration for this guy when it comes to the overall business, doing 100,000 miles which is NOT part time..

He is probably collecting Social Sec. to supplement that LOW income....

another 1,000 guys like this we might as well pack our bags...

.65 CPM ??? Regardless if it is loaded miles, or all mile pay, that is real low pay in my book.I wouldn't be too proud of numbers like that!

I read that article a few days ago right when Phil posted it......

What you Guys aren't getting is that Todd Dills has Grossly MISLABELED what this Guy actually is.....IE - the type of work he is doing.

He is NOT an Expediter......per say......he is a Hot Shot COURIER......That's all.

His income is about average for what he's doing.......might be a little more than average. Considering the area he's running out of.......a population of about 100K.....he's actually making a Killing. Cut those figures in 1/2 when running as a Hot Shot COURIER out of the DFW area where there's 457 Courier Companies competing against each other, and a Driver "POOL" of future victims that run in the Millions.

If he has the Money in his Retirement Fund that can cover the cost of Sacrificing a Vehicle every 2-3 years, and he loves what he's doing as a Hot Shot COURIER.....then more power to him.

Again.....an "Expediter" he is NOT......and Todd Dills needs to correct that in a follow up article.

guido4475

Not a Member

What you Guys aren't getting is that Todd Dills has Grossly MISLABELED what this Guy actually is.....IE - the type of work he is doing.

He is NOT an Expediter......per say......he is a Hot Shot COURIER......That's all.

His income is about average for what he's doing.......might be a little more than average. Considering the area he's running out of.......a population of about 100K.....he's actually making a Killing. Cut those figures in 1/2 when running as a Hot Shot COURIER out of the DFW area where there's 457 Courier Companies competing against each other, and a Driver "POOL" of future victims that run in the Millions.

If he has the Money in his Retirement Fund that can cover the cost of Sacrificing a Vehicle every 2-3 years, and he loves what he's doing as a Hot Shot COURIER.....then more power to him.

Again.....an "Expediter" he is NOT......and Todd Dills needs to correct that in a follow up article.

Regardless of what kind of freight he is hauling, what he may be labeled as, as far as either a hot shot courier or an expeditor, it still is a low rate. Courier=more stop and go-more wear and tear.

volunteer 1

Expert Expediter
One hundred thousand miles would get you about $55,000.00 tax deduction. I do not believe there would be much tax liabilities. I have known Morris for a long time and he can make it work if anybody can.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Regardless of what kind of freight he is hauling, what he may be labeled as, as far as either a hot shot courier or an expeditor, it still is a low rate. Courier=more stop and go-more wear and tear.

Yes....it is a "Low Rate".....But......what he is doing is NOT effecting you guys whatsoever.

Sure.....Expediting and Courier ARE the Exact same thing.....IE - One is generally LOCAL Work while the Other is OTR.....but one of the Biggest Differences is Pay......of which Customer Bases are what sets the pay rates.

There are Thousands and Thousands of Courier Companies all over this Country......VS....Hundreds and Hundreds of Expediting Companies. There are Thousands and Thousands of Expedite Drivers all over this Country.......VS....Hundreds of Thousands of Courier Drivers. The Bigger the Industry is.....in relation to what type of service they offer.......the LOWER the Pay (Rates-Wages-Whatever) will be.

Is this Guy operating as an "Expediter"? Sure.....In a round about way.....BUT.....what he is Doing in regards to what he's earning as a COURIER will NOT effect the Expediting Industry Rates whatsoever.

So....No Reason to be whining and bishin about what this guy makes thinking that he's going to be driving "Expedite" rates down.........cause that just aint gonna happen. The Guy is a COURIER making 1/2 ash decent $$$$ as a COURIER.......especially considering the area he's running out of.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I did contract courier work in Toronto...it was like .90 -$1.00 a point...and most I did was maybe 50 miles a day..Monday -Friday 10 hour day... anywhere from 150-250 points a day...
You Yanks work too cheap....LOL

guido4475

Not a Member
Yes....it is a "Low Rate".....But......what he is doing is NOT effecting you guys whatsoever.

Sure.....Expediting and Courier ARE the Exact same thing.....IE - One is generally LOCAL Work while the Other is OTR.....but one of the Biggest Differences is Pay......of which Customer Bases are what sets the pay rates.

There are Thousands and Thousands of Courier Companies all over this Country......VS....Hundreds and Hundreds of Expediting Companies. There are Thousands and Thousands of Expedite Drivers all over this Country.......VS....Hundreds of Thousands of Courier Drivers. The Bigger the Industry is.....in relation to what type of service they offer.......the LOWER the Pay (Rates-Wages-Whatever) will be.

Is this Guy operating as an "Expediter"? Sure.....In a round about way.....BUT.....what he is Doing in regards to what he's earning as a COURIER will NOT effect the Expediting Industry Rates whatsoever.

So....No Reason to be whining and bishin about what this guy makes thinking that he's going to be driving "Expedite" rates down.........cause that just aint gonna happen. The Guy is a COURIER making 1/2 ash decent $$$$ as a COURIER.......especially considering the area he's running out of.

There are plenty of "courier services" out there who also run expedite loads.Back in 89 I worked for a company, (Flame/J&L courier services), who was primarily a courier company, but I did their expedite loads in a 14 ft cube, and eventually bought a daycab straight.I often ran loads out of state with both of these trucks.So I would think it would be safe to say Couriers can affect our expedite rates as well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

His income is about average for what he's doing.......might be a little more than average. Considering the area he's running out of.......a population of about 100K.....he's actually making a Killing.

Thanks for your insight. But Todd Dills hasn't mislabeled what Morris Finley does at all.

The area Morris Finley is running out of is hardly a 100,000 population area. The Nashville Metropolitan Area has a population of more than 1.5 million (the metro trade area of Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Columbia is 1,670,890). His carrier, DMW Expedite, is not a courier company, it is an expedite carrier just like Panther, Tri-State, FECC, Bolt or Load 1, and DMW gets their (mostly automotive freight) loads out of the same expedite freight pool that all the other expedite carriers get theirs. When you see some of the bid boards, you see DMW bidding right there along with many of the others. They also have their own customers, just like other expedite carriers do. They run the lower 48, just like many expedite carriers.

Just because Morris Finley runs a load from Lebanon, TN to Birmingham, AL doesn't make him a Hot Shot Courier any more than me running a load from Garland to Arlington makes me one, and it certainly doesn't make Load 1 a Hot Shot Courier company if I do. Like most expedite carriers, DMW has loads picking up and delivering at all kinds of locations, some long, some short, and he chooses to take the shorter runs to TN, KY, and AL, mainly, so he can return home each night. Load 1 has drivers who prefer to remain local, within Michigan, but they are not couriers, either.

While he is running on the cheap for all-miles, he's not really running cheap freight, per se. His line haul rate isn't 65 cents a mile. It's up near $1 a mile, same as most expediters, it's just that most of his loads have considerable deadhead in them because he returns home empty more often than not.

The Rule of Thirds still apply to him, where one third of his gross goes for operating expenses (fuel, oil), one third go to the truck (maintenance and truck payment) and a third goes to him. His Thirds are a little skewed because of the truck payment, so his personal Third will be a little lower. He's 74, so he doesn't pay very much in income taxes anyway, especially after deductions. He'll only pay taxes on net income that exceeds about $20,000, which won't be much, if any.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I sure hope that was net 65k and not gross. Otherwise this guy might as well do something else.

65k-18k for fuel = 47k

47k - 10k a year in van cost (400k miles) = 37k

37k - 2k (very minimal maint.) = 35k

35k - 1.2 k (min. ins.) = 33.8 k

33.8k x .15 = just over 5k for self employment taxes = 28.8k

net per mile = .288 cents per mile at minimal costs or 553 per week or 2200 per month.

At that rate with all the assumed risk other than cargo insurance he might as well go do something else for a living.

That may be the case for a younger man but a guy in his 70's on SS, working for himself at a leisurely pace, being home everynight and not really stressed out is not a bad gig. Of course to some he should be flipping burgers or greeting at WalMart. Wait till you turn 70+, most people that age are lucky to get up in the morning much less run expedite. :cool:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your insight. But Todd Dills hasn't mislabeled what Morris Finley does at all.

The area Morris Finley is running out of is hardly a 100,000 population area. The Nashville Metropolitan Area has a population of more than 1.5 million (the metro trade area of Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Columbia is 1,670,890). His carrier, DMW Expedite, is not a courier company, it is an expedite carrier just like Panther, Tri-State, FECC, Bolt or Load 1, and DMW gets their (mostly automotive freight) loads out of the same expedite freight pool that all the other expedite carriers get theirs. When you see some of the bid boards, you see DMW bidding right there along with many of the others. They also have their own customers, just like other expedite carriers do. They run the lower 48, just like many expedite carriers.

Just because Morris Finley runs a load from Lebanon, TN to Birmingham, AL doesn't make him a Hot Shot Courier any more than me running a load from Garland to Arlington makes me one, and it certainly doesn't make Load 1 a Hot Shot Courier company if I do. Like most expedite carriers, DMW has loads picking up and delivering at all kinds of locations, some long, some short, and he chooses to take the shorter runs to TN, KY, and AL, mainly, so he can return home each night. Load 1 has drivers who prefer to remain local, within Michigan, but they are not couriers, either.

While he is running on the cheap for all-miles, he's not really running cheap freight, per se. His line haul rate isn't 65 cents a mile. It's up near $1 a mile, same as most expediters, it's just that most of his loads have considerable deadhead in them because he returns home empty more often than not.

The Rule of Thirds still apply to him, where one third of his gross goes for operating expenses (fuel, oil), one third go to the truck (maintenance and truck payment) and a third goes to him. His Thirds are a little skewed because of the truck payment, so his personal Third will be a little lower. He's 74, so he doesn't pay very much in income taxes anyway, especially after deductions. He'll only pay taxes on net income that exceeds about $20,000, which won't be much, if any.

You're Welcome.....

But.......

What you are not grasping is that while this Company he runs for also offers Expediting Services.....this Guy is Running in the capacity of a Hot Shot COURIER.....plain and simple.

Not everything is as difficult as one makes it out to be...........

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're Welcome.....

But.......

What you are not grasping is that while this Company he runs for also offers Expediting Services.....this Guy is Running in the capacity of a Hot Shot COURIER.....plain and simple.
I'm grasping the facts and the realities just fine. You can call it whatever makes you happy, but you're wrong in just about everything you've posted in this thread about what Morris and his carrier does. You assumed he's running for courier rates, and since he's running out of a 100,000 population area he's making "a killing" at 65 cents a mile, when in fact he's running out a 1.5 million population area and is running at the standard expediting rates. Care to address that one? I didn't think so.

His carrier doesn't "also offers Expediting Services," either, as DMW's core business is expedited freight. I'm quite familiar with the company and what all they do. I've crossed docked there several times and know too many people who run for them, including office personnel. I almost signed on with them a few years back.

Not everything is as difficult as one makes it out to be...........
Or as simple as the knee-jerk uninformed assumptions and conclusions make them out to be, either.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.
Oh, that's OK. Many people here wonder the same thing.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I'm grasping the facts and the realities just fine.

Or as simple as the knee-jerk uninformed assumptions and conclusions make them out to be, either.

Not ignorance, but ignorance of ignorance, is the death of knowledge. ~Alfred North Whitehead

BigCat

Expert Expediter
He is an expediter. So Brisco you are saying if I take that same load and then take one from there to somewhere else I'm an expediter, but if I return home after every trip I am a courier? Not hardly. Expedite= Time sensitive freight. How do you know these aren't hot loads her runs? It is "dmw expedite" not "dmw hotshot or courier".

Speak up pearlpro you are with them, are you a hot shot driver/courier?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not ignorance, but ignorance of ignorance, is the death of knowledge. ~Alfred North Whitehead
I do love a good irony. That's hilarious, actually.

When you come on here and say things like, "What you Guys aren't getting..." (as if the entire expediting world doesn't know what Mr. I've Never Done It But I Know More About It Than ALL Of You), and "He is NOT an Expediter......per say......he is a Hot Shot COURIER......That's all," and "Yes....it is a "Low Rate".....But......what he is doing is NOT effecting you guys whatsoever," as if you have some kind of working or special knowledge or insight, when in fact you don't know what you are talking about, it gives you zero credibility, especially when you stick to your ignorant conclusions despite irrefutable facts.

I'll bet you haven't even been to DMW's Web site to see what their business is. If you had, there's no way you could possibly conclude they are a courier company who also offers expedite services. You took very limited information, made assumptions, and drew faulty conclusions based on those assumptions. And you believe you're right. That's the epitome of being ignorant of ignorance.

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.

By definition and by implementation, couriers are local pickup and delivery companies. Their deliveries for the most part are small package, documents and other items, usually, but not always, less-than 75 pounds per delivery. Courier services can be huge, like DHL or UPS, or FedEx, or they can be local companies which operate in one particular city or municipality. More than 75 pounds and it usually becomes classified as LTL freight. Courier services are lower risk and have lower rates.

Expedited delivery is time-sensitive LTL freight, specialized loads, manufacturing production and repair replacement parts. Often it's simply "exclusive use of the truck" where the customer doesn't want his LTL freight co-mingled with other LTL freight. Expedite services have higher rates than courier and regular LTL freight.

What Morris Finley does with DMW in no way resembles courier delivery.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Next thing you know we will have a president who thinks after reading some writings on the subject knows how to create jobs better than someone who actually has record of doing it.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

volunteer 1

Expert Expediter
It is guys like this that help in one way to keep our rates low....while he is 74 and doing what he loves, I have NO admiration for this guy when it comes to the overall business, doing 100,000 miles which is NOT part time..

He is probably collecting Social Sec. to supplement that LOW income....

Morris is not running cheap freight, he simply does not choose to sit and wait for another load, he goes home. DMW does not run cheap freight, they are a good company, and their rates are in line with most companies out there.
I spent several years there, good management, good drivers.
How many out there have been with the same carrier for as long as Morris?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
He is running expedite freight. He is running the same loads as we would run except that he apparently chooses to return home each day. If he is averaging 65 cents/mile doing that he has to be getting $1+ per mile for his loaded miles even if he gets lucky and gets a return load now and then.

He isnt driving down prices. He is, however, choosing to sacrifice his overall average rate per mile in order to be home every night and back to his freight source.

Would I do it? No. But he seems to be happy with it and I see nothing wrong with it.

Deville

Not a Member
I agree he seems to be running for peanuts, but at the end of the day If the guy is happy than so be it. I have to think if i'm 74 & still making some steady money in a horrible economy than it can't all be bad. I know guys that would kill for $65 grand a year right now before expenses.