Cargo Van Expediter Featured on OverdriveOnline

Deville

Not a Member
I do love a good irony. That's hilarious, actually.

When you come on here and say things like, "What you Guys aren't getting..." (as if the entire expediting world doesn't know what Mr. I've Never Done It But I Know More About It Than ALL Of You), and "He is NOT an Expediter......per say......he is a Hot Shot COURIER......That's all," and "Yes....it is a "Low Rate".....But......what he is doing is NOT effecting you guys whatsoever," as if you have some kind of working or special knowledge or insight, when in fact you don't know what you are talking about, it gives you zero credibility, especially when you stick to your ignorant conclusions despite irrefutable facts.

I'll bet you haven't even been to DMW's Web site to see what their business is. If you had, there's no way you could possibly conclude they are a courier company who also offers expedite services. You took very limited information, made assumptions, and drew faulty conclusions based on those assumptions. And you believe you're right. That's the epitome of being ignorant of ignorance.

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.

By definition and by implementation, couriers are local pickup and delivery companies. Their deliveries for the most part are small package, documents and other items, usually, but not always, less-than 75 pounds per delivery. Courier services can be huge, like DHL or UPS, or FedEx, or they can be local companies which operate in one particular city or municipality. More than 75 pounds and it usually becomes classified as LTL freight. Courier services are lower risk and have lower rates.

Expedited delivery is time-sensitive LTL freight, specialized loads, manufacturing production and repair replacement parts. Often it's simply "exclusive use of the truck" where the customer doesn't want his LTL freight co-mingled with other LTL freight. Expedite services have higher rates than courier and regular LTL freight.

What Morris Finley does with DMW in no way resembles courier delivery.

He is running a mix of expedite & local P&D freight/envelopes. He most likely has steady customers & a set route.

His miles seem way out of wack too me, maybe things are more spread out over there. I run my business in a similar way but I run 3 viechles truck, Cargo van & SUV & with the 3 units combined im no where near 100,000 miles per year. I think we are going to do just under 75,000 miles for the year.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
It is guys like this that help in one way to keep our rates low....while he is 74 and doing what he loves, I have NO admiration for this guy when it comes to the overall business, doing 100,000 miles which is NOT part time..

He is probably collecting Social Sec. to supplement that LOW income....

another 1,000 guys like this we might as well pack our bags...

I can remember when Fedex vans were averaging $1.20 to $1.40 per mile and guys like you were hauling freight for 70 cpm to $1 per mile for companies like Express 1, Panther and Bolt. It is really funny how the tune changes when the shoe is on the other foot.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can remember when Fedex vans were averaging $1.20 to $1.40 per mile and guys like you were hauling freight for 70 cpm to $1 per mile for companies like Express 1, Panther and Bolt. It is really funny how the tune changes when the shoe is on the other foot.

The key word there is WAS hauling....while i wasn't going broke, there was no room for error tho...1 mechanical breakdown would pretty well wipe out 3 months of hard work....and back to a neutral position. It was like swimming against the current...getting nowhere.

And...E-1 was my first American carrier....I was learning the way you do things down here....

BTW...I still run .90 -$1.00 loads at Load 1.....

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Confusion ,,,its a Canadian state I believe ...:p

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums