cargo van drivers only

shawnm1981

Seasoned Expediter
I have been asked by two different owners to drive a cargo van for them. One for panther the other with tri state. My question is for anyone doing the 60/40 split with fuel surcharge going to the driver. I will be a single driver, I was wondering how much after fuel and qualcomm and ins fees do you make on average for the month. I am very confident in expediting I know the ends and outs pretty well. I am not trying to get rich just make a little bit so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
Better off getting a paper route or pizza delivery.Atleast you would be home every nite and probly earn more in tips.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Amen!

Or...if you have a hobby that generates income, like building bird houses, you will have plenty of time to pursue that hobby while sitting around in truck stops, or Walmart, or Meijers, or Jewel-Osco, or Publix, or Winn-Dixie parking lots for 1 day or 2 days or 3 days or 4 days.....ad infinitum!

It is not a matter of whether you aren't looking to get rich, it is a matter of not breaking even. I don't know about you, but having to spend my own money to have the pleasure of living in a sardine can does not seem like an equitable trade off.

I spoke with three cargo van O/O's last week. One is leased to a carrier and he ran 350 loaded miles. The other two are independents. One had a 75 mile run and the other one sat empty. All of these men have experience in the industry.

Get a highly fuel efficient car and deliver pizza or whatever; stay at home and enjoy your family.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I have been asked by two different owners to drive a cargo van for them. One for panther the other with tri state. My question is for anyone doing the 60/40 split with fuel surcharge going to the driver. I will be a single driver, I was wondering how much after fuel and qualcomm and ins fees do you make on average for the month. I am very confident in expediting I know the ends and outs pretty well. I am not trying to get rich just make a little bit so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

I drove a sprinter for a couple of months, just to give it a go, while the wife stayed home. Its rough out there for the cargo vans and sprinters. If you had another choice of making money, I would suggest giving that some thought. Plus, if the owner is doing the 60/40 split and saying you need to pay for the qualcomm and truck insurance, I would ask other owners if they do the same. The owner of the sprinter I drove for, didn't require me to pay for those.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most van drivers will tell you that, particularly right now, a 1000 mile week for an average is really, really good. Most aren't doing that at all for an average over a 2 or 3 month period. But let's say it's 1000 miles a week. On a 60/40 split, the math is really repressing. You'll do good to take home $1200 a month. Seriously.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I like to think I have a little experience in this business but things are very bad right now. If I added up all my paid miles for the last three weeks I wouldn't have 1000 paid miles. Vans just aren't running. I'm thinking of turning my Sprinter into a lawn ornament.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
As an o/o driving for the cat I can tell ya that last week i barely broke 1000 miles and the week before I didn't even have 500. Things just aren't moving i think most companies are sending their stuff by rail or semi.

shawnm1981

Seasoned Expediter
i'd like to say thanks to the last 4 posters, Who actually answered the question I had asked pertaining to actual bring home, and miles instead of dry sarcasm that noone really cares for. I understand it maybe a real bad time now. But on the other hand nothing remotely close to my hometown is hiring not even Mcdonalds! I have well over 80 applications in and no call backs so I kinda see it as some money is better than none. ANyways thank you to the ones who actually addressed the question at hand much appreciated! By the way good luck and hopefully the freight picks up!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
shawn, do you have bills?
do you own a house or rent or live at home?
do you have credit cards?
do you have a stash of cash to start you up for three weeks until your paychecks come in?

do you have a family you need to provide income?

does 1200 a month(from turtles post) cover expenses?

answering yes to the above could mean driving for someone on a split with you paying the fuel may not be the best idea.

the fsc right now is next to nothing. maybe 5 cents a mile so it is a non factor.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Your right about that, some money is better than no money so go for it. If it works out great, if not well at least you tried.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
two vans last week 800 miles combined, the week before that 800 miles combined, week before that just over 3000 miles combined, week before that 1800 combines...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Location, location, location.

You can't expect to get a lot of miles if you're hanging around where all the other vans are.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Location, location, location.

You can't expect to get a lot of miles if you're hanging around where all the other vans are.

No kidding CharlesD...;)

I've been OOS for the last 2 1/2 weeks...will be out solo for awhile....we'll see just how slow it is....:D

Location, location, location......:eek:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
One more thing.The owner must pay the QC and the truck insurance...not you.

There was a driver on another forum that claimed he worked for a Panther fleet owner . He said the truck got $1.30 a mile and he got $.24 a mile and had to pay Qualcomm and insurance out of that . The response was he never should have agreed to that contract .

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been averaging 1400 -1500 per week the last four weeks. I pay very close attention to the boards when I empty and move if it looks like it will make a difference. Yesterday after making a drop I moved 40 miles to an empty board and got a 390 mile run. If I had not moved I might still be there sitting.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I have been averaging 1400 -1500 per week the last four weeks. I pay very close attention to the boards when I empty and move if it looks like it will make a difference. Yesterday after making a drop I moved 40 miles to an empty board and got a 390 mile run. If I had not moved I might still be there sitting.

would you care to share for whom you drive for with the rest of the class?