Cargo van cargo space

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Hi guys. I want to built a sleeper in my Chevy extended cargo van. My question is ,what do you think ,how much cargo space should I left? 8 or 9 feet? The van will run under Panther.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have a 37" platform that a twin size matteress lays on...that is cut the length of it with a piano hinge on it so it folds up at the 17" mark...i then have 108" for freight..some of those steel automotive "bucket" skids are 48x52....

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 37" platform that a twin size matteress lays on...that is cut the length of it with a piano hinge on it so it folds up at the 17" mark...i then have 108" for freight..some of those steel automotive "bucket" skids are 48x52....

Yes ...but I want a wall to. I don.t think very offen I will have 3 skids of 48x52... I think 100 inches will be enough .

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yes ...but I want a wall to. I don.t think very offen I will have 3 skids of 48x52... I think 100 inches will be enough .

An adjustable sleeper is the way to go, do you want to lose that load because your van has the larger sleeper?. Make an adjustable wall or use a nice insulated curtain.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
An adjustable sleeper is the way to go, do you want to lose that load because your van has the larger sleeper?. Make an adjustable wall or use a nice insulated curtain.

I'm over 6 feet tall so I need I larger sleeper. I will lose 2-3 loads per year because of this...but I will sleep much better. I want to isolate the cargo area 100% . Unfortunatly you can't have everything...LOL

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I'm with Panther and give them 100 inches for cargo.

I would leave 120" because then you can have the option to grab 3 pallet loads that do come up often that is if your dispatcher is looking to get you sprinter loads into your van ! I had 3 loads last month that were sprinter loads they were 48"w x 40"L x 38"T they assume most cargo vans build a sleeper and do not have the space surprise surprise I have the space no sleeper here just cargo space.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have exactly 8 feet of cargo space,I spin the 2 skids side ways if needed to,for the larger ones.The rest of it is mine,with a sealed bulkhead,Which I sleep like a baby in.I have no problem getting freight with a 2-skid capacity.Anything more, leave to the straight trucks.It seems too many try to make a straight truck out of a van, cargo capacity wise.Where do we draw the limit? I often wonder if some companies load a straight truck load on cargo vans, and pay them cargo van rates, but yet collect the straight truck rates..Just my thoughts...

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I have exactly 8 feet of cargo space,I spin the 2 skids side ways if needed to,for the larger ones.The rest of it is mine,with a sealed bulkhead,Which I sleep like a baby in.I have no problem getting freight with a 2-skid capacity.Anything more, leave to the straight trucks.It seems too many try to make a straight truck out of a van, cargo capacity wise.Where do we draw the limit? I often wonder if some companies load a straight truck load on cargo vans, and pay them cargo van rates, but yet collect the straight truck rates..Just my thoughts...

They do load sprinter loads into cargo vans often many times the customer doesn't realize the freight fits into a cargo van ! With the outfits I am on with if it is a sprinter run I get sprinter pay if cargo van I get cargo van rate ! I ran a 1350 mile run other day at .95 it was a sprinter run I am not complaining !

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Question....Do the larger companies pay more per mile for a sprinter load? Is that sprinter load is it considered 3 pallets or the height of the freight can fit in the sprinter for the extra pay ?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Question....Do the larger companies pay more per mile for a sprinter load? Is that sprinter load is it considered 3 pallets or the height of the freight can fit in the sprinter for the extra pay ?

Most companies will just try to sneak the load onto a cargo van at cargo van pay ok! the sprinter load is usually anything that is like 50" w x 49" T x 120" long or bigger to the max large sprinter dimensions . And the sprinter loads usually pay around .10 & up CPM. And the added benefit is you get more options on freight and more options = more miles = more $

Now I do understand many of the guys out here want to be comfortable and I respect that but myself I am happy with just sleeping on floor while empty LOL I am easy to please on the road. Now at my house is a different story I demand the King size bed huge LED TV and darn good healthy food.

On the road it's ok to crap food, gym time when I get near with time or laid over near a gym I can use, and a hell of a hard floor to sleep on. But i do have my Mr heater propane indoors heater which is fantastic to use in the winter BTW best $90 I spent at walmart in a long time .

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I sleep on a camp cot when empty and on the floor if no room for the cot when loaded so I have upto 13 feet of cargo space available

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

E1 does pay more for a sprinter load, anything over 48 wide or 48 tall, length figures in too but do not remember what that is.