Cargo van Career

greg334

Veteran Expediter
most of us have typed the same thing too many times to repeat it every time the same question is asked for the bazillionth time.

Well I suggested a number of ways to improve this site, which one was a copulation of links to threads that have the answers others are looking for. I even went so far as to make a serious suggest that those threads have posts edited (to remove some banter but not to delete the post) and to have them locked. I gave an example, a few followed it but it isn't what other sites have done, which is lock the threads so nothing can be added.

The mods can take on little groups that they can do in their spare time - it shouldn't take more than an hour out of their time a week to do a search and come up with a list of links to keep it simple. Then promote the newbies to actually start a thread asking a question referring question with that locked thread if they need more info.

As I'm thinking of it, I don't think EO even has a "How to use this forum thread", do they?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
cherri,

I don't disagree with you, I just wanted to give him a fair warning so I don't come across as so pompous as to me it appears he hasn't researched as much as he should at this point.

It looked that way to me too, which is why I suggested he call some owners - if he isn't quite prepared, they'll tell him. Or they'll put him to work, and he will sink or swim just like the rest of us.

ps I remember waking up at 3 am because I didn't want my parents to know I got in trouble and did my "lines" in the middle of the night

I just ad libbed, and got GUFN [grounded until further notice] a lot....:D

gentry468

Active Expediter
I am wanting to be a company driver first before anything, and see how it goes from there. i live in linton, Indiana.its about 42 miles south of terre haute and about 40miles from bloomington. i had found straight shot express in terre haute. i went and drop off my resume and MVR. never heard anything back from them though.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Gentry: Mcavoy was right: you need to do a lot of the research LDB mentioned, first.
For the most part, there are no 'company drivers' in expedite. You are either an o/o [owner operator] leased to a carrier, or you drive for an owner. There are carriers who won some vehicles, but that always leaves them open to accusations of [unfairly] keeping their own trucks loaded ahead of others - not a place I'd want to be.
You can't hope to succeed at something you don't know enough about, so please do the reading/research to understand what you can do, and what you can't.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Also, I can't stress how valuable this website it, but imo all the value is in the old threads. I find the search function will net you way more results than asking. This is a bit of a close nit community and they tend to go off on joke tangents in threads.

But if you take the time to read the stickies and faq's, you will learn what you need to. I've been here for less than 2 months and I still find reading older threads are more useful than the banter on here.

Joke tangents and banter is what makes EO EO
Old MacDonald had a farm EO EO O LOL:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
most of us have typed the same thing too many times to repeat it every time the same question is asked for the bazillionth time.

Well I suggested a number of ways to improve this site, which one was a copulation of links to threads that have the answers others are looking for. I even went so far as to make a serious suggest that those threads have posts edited (to remove some banter but not to delete the post) and to have them locked. I gave an example, a few followed it but it isn't what other sites have done, which is lock the threads so nothing can be added.

The mods can take on little groups that they can do in their spare time - it shouldn't take more than an hour out of their time a week to do a search and come up with a list of links to keep it simple. Then promote the newbies to actually start a thread asking a question referring question with that locked thread if they need more info.

As I'm thinking of it, I don't think EO even has a "How to use this forum thread", do they?

You made me go upstair and get my reading glasses Greg, :eek: I'm getting old:(

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Greg my guess there is a reason that is not done and I think you are smart enough to figure it out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well don't bring up the error to mock it, fix it - you have the edit privileges.

It was caused by the stupid auto-correct feature on this browser.

As for the subject, it is simple - we should be helping people as much as we can. The mods need to do more than sit there pointing out typos or editing out 'bad words'.

A COMPILATION of links will go a long way, better than expecting someone to search for subjects that they don't know what terms are all about.

By the way I corrected the dictionary so it doesn't correct the word.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well don't bring up the error to mock it, fix it - you have the edit privileges.
I'm not sure how merely pointing it out, because it's hilarious, is mocking it (to attack or treat with ridicule, contempt, or derision).

It was caused by the stupid auto-correct feature on this browser.
It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. :D I've had auto-correct do some weird stuff to me too, and I've slipped up and posted it as-is, but I really can't blame auto-correct for my failure to proofread before clicking on the "Submit Reply" button.

As for the subject, it is simple - we should be helping people as much as we can. The mods need to do more than sit there pointing out typos or editing out 'bad words'.
That's true, we should be helping people as much as we can, and I try to do that the best way I know how. But there's a limit to what mods can do.

A COMPILATION of links will go a long way, better than expecting someone to search for subjects that they don't know what terms are all about.
I agree. It could be done in a standard FAQ format, but instead of direct answers to many of the question, links to threads that will answer the questions might be better, especially to threads that are cleaned up and locked. It will be quite an undertaking. It could certainly be a group project, but someone would have to be in charge and take control, and do the final organizing. I nominate you for that job. :)

By the way I corrected the dictionary so it doesn't correct the word.
Bummer.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Anyone else look up the word 'copulation' to see if that was a legitimate secondary usage? [ It sounded good, in context.]
Reminds me of the blogger who starts each entry with "Today I learned...." because I learned there is only the one meaning. EO is the place to learn the most unusual things, lol. :D

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Don't forget about our instructional discussions of how to hunker.:rolleyes:

TripleFacePalm_display_image.jpg

Of all people, I thought you knew that you can't teach hunkering, the only way you can ... is by experiencing it, you can't teach hunkering through instructional discussions :(

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
TripleFacePalm_display_image.jpg

Of all people, I thought you knew that you can't teach hunkering, the only way you can ... is by experiencing it, you can't teach hunkering through instructional discussions :(

FDLOL! Of course, How silly of me. I am hanging my head in shame! :D

shame1.gif

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
M: you are correct - but in our defense, most of us have typed the same thing too many times to repeat it every time the same question is asked for the bazillionth time.

Ok,

tangent time again, semi serious though.

Ok I just finished typing a response to a noob. Maybe we should have a "standard" response that we can copy & paste, with some links of starter material they can read.

Like a table of contents type thing. Is there a more experienced member of the site that would like to help develop it. I'll do the grunt work and find the links and stuff if somebody tells me what to include.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Ok,

tangent time again, semi serious though.

Ok I just finished typing a response to a noob. Maybe we should have a "standard" response that we can copy & paste, with some links of starter material they can read.

Like a table of contents type thing. Is there a more experienced member of the site that would like to help develop it. I'll do the grunt work and find the links and stuff if somebody tells me what to include.

That is what sticky's are for:)