Cancel Culture

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Free speech ends right where you disagree with the radical Left. If you disagree, you're branded a racist. And you're done.

The problem with Black Lives Matter is, the phrase itself implies there are a significant portion of the public who think black lives DON'T matter, which is ridiculous. But if you don't embrace BLM, you're straight-up racist, and there's no response to such a charge.

Here's a fun fact...
In 2019 there were 50 million police interactions with the public. Of those 50 million interactions, 1002 suspects were shot and or killed by the police. Of those 1002 dead suspects, 952 were armed. Of the 50 that were unarmed, all 50 fought with the police and resisted arrest. So it would seem that a near-lock in staying alive during a police encounter is to not point a weapon at the police, and don't resist arrest.

Incidentally, of the 50 unarmed dead, 9 were black, 41 were not black.

50 million interactions, 50 unarmed dead, that's 0.0001 percent.
Of the 9 black dead, that's 0.000018‬ percent.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the source for that data and can I copy it and repost elsewhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What is the source for that data and can I copy it and repost elsewhere.
The source is the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
I'm too lazy to look up the exact link for the above numbers, but this will get you started.

You can find bits and pieces of the BJS data in MSM reports, but it's always the narrative-useful bits and almost always leaves out the proper context. Like, you can find the headlines about the police shooting and killing 1000 people a year. But they leave out the context that 950 of them were armed and either threatened or shot at the police first. Even when you dig in and find the data, you have to analyze it properly. It's too easy to find a piece of data that fits what you want, and then stop right there. Proper analysis is critical.

An example of that is Reparations. If analyzed properly, the resulting number (dollar figure) would be a negative number. (that's gonna get me cancelled)
If you were going to analyze the cost benefit of getting a printer for the office, you have to properly analyze getting the printer versus not getting the printer. It's the same with anything. Have (or do) something versus not have (or not do) something.

With Reparations you can't stop short and try and analize post-slavery disparate outcomes of blacks versus whites. In order to do a proper analysis, you have to go back to "have" versus "not have," or "slavery" versus "no slavery." So, you have to compare the current lives of Black Americans to the lives they would currently have today if slavery had never happened and all of the black ancestors, and thus their current descendants, had remained in Africa. You have to compare and analyze the current lives of African Americans, their standard of living, incomes, etc., to that of current African Africans. Despite blacks being brought to American in the worst possible way, who is currently better off, African Americans or African Africans? I mean, just on incomes alone, Sub-Saharan Africa (where all the slaves came from), the average median income is $762 a year. For blacks in American, it's $58,985. So Reparations is gonna be a negative number.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I saw this on Tucker Carlson's show a little while back. It breaks down the 10 unarmed deaths for 2019. Rate of death has been coming down since 2015. There isn't evidence in the statistics of systematic racism in police departments.

Reactions: Turtle

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
“Cancel Culture” ... The White Right’s Bogeyman du jour ...

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There isn't evidence of systemic racism anywhere, actually (other than in the minds of racists). If you ask for examples of systemic racism, people give you examples of things that happened in the past, but they can't point to any current example of systemic racism. WHen called on that, they point to examples of regular racism and simply call it systemic. Even the definition of system racism usually winds up being three paragraphs of word salad. If you can't explain something in one, two sentences tops, you don't understand it.

"Systemic Racism" is a scary phrase that casts a shadow wildly disproportionate to its actual size. I can think of localized systemic racism to some small geographical areas (perhaps certain counties, towns or communities with certain building codes, policing practices, etc). I try as I will, cannot think of any racism systemic to the entire country. There might be a case for something, but, when that case is actually made in a rational way, we immediately see that it is something far less scary than "Systemic Racism" would suggest. It's basically emotional BS, which is why it takes word salad definitions to try and persuade you to believe in it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
“Cancel Culture” ... The White Right’s Bogeyman du jour ...
Yeah, sure, I suppose. Considering the phrase and the practice originated with black Twitter users and was quickly co-opted by white progressive liberal SJW Twitter users. So, yeah, it's a boogeyman du jour that doesn't really exist, except it does really exist.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Perhaps we should revisit your previous thoughts on the Ferguson, MO police department ...

"... people give you examples of things that happened in the past, but they can't point to any current example of systemic racism."

"I can think of localized systemic racism to some small geographical areas (perhaps certain counties, towns or communities with certain building codes, policing practices, etc). I try as I will, cannot think of any racism systemic to the entire country."

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Possibly a few of these were intentional and unwarranted, but many are probably just drivers in their vehicles being in an area at the "wrong" time. And faced with the choice between someone getting inside their vehicle and harming them or just speeding away.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
This happened in the Detroit area. 68 year old woman probably just felt intimidated and had people reaching in her car. It's now in the Prosecutor's hands what charges to file.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
“If you were really fearing for your life you would not have even come into that intersection that was full of people and protesters,” Duckworth said.

My response would be, if you don't want to get run over by a car, don't stand in the street.

I have the same advice regarding railroad tracks.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
“If you were really fearing for your life you would not have even come into that intersection that was full of people and protesters,” Duckworth said.

My response would be, if you don't want to get run over by a car, don't stand in the street.

I have the same advice regarding railroad tracks.

Now it's considered the driver's fault to merely drive on a roadway and should have had the forethought to avoid the area. What was she thinking? Now she's being accused of a hate crime by one of the protesters.
The man with the bicycle was standing right in front of the vehicle. Didnt initially move. Perplexed afterwards that his bicycle got totaled and wondered why.

"At some point I realized she wasn’t stopping and I dropped my bike and dove out of the way,” Potoski said. “If I hadn’t jumped out of the way she would’ve run me over."
(Same story just with update and additional witness statement. )

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It is going to be a long race war....been going for over 200 years....there is no easy fix...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I've heard this from a few people. So little actual acts of racism in U.S. now, that they have to concoct hoax ones. Too many to count.