Canada canada speed limiters,what to do

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Wondering what others are gonna due after the 1st,not expecting much info from carrier.I wil not be putting the limiters on my trks,we only run up there about 10% of the time.What are the fines and such if anyone has researched it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I doubt I'll get one. I won't say absolutely yet but don't see it as likely.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a 6 month grace period, no fines just a lecture from the scalehouse guy if he checks you (they gotta lecture you about something right?).

It is just a programming setting in your ECM, there is no "device" to add. If the load to Ontario is a super payer you could stop in at most any dealer before the border and get them to set you to 65mph, it takes less than a minute if they know what they are doing.

It's a dumb law, please don't stay out of Ontario!! That is exactly what the mellonheads who came up with the law want you to do!

Here is the exact law.
http://www.ontla.on.ca/bills/bills-files/39_Parliament/Session1/b041ra.pdf

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Unless you have trucks from the dark ages,you already have limiters.Every electronic engine can have the speed set.There is nothing to buy,you just go to your truck dealer, and for a slight fee,he will set the speed you want.My truck will do 2100 rpms,and with the gear ratio it has,that should be 97 mph,but the speed in 10th gear is set at 80,so 80 is as fast as it will go.and that is where it will stay :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your right Steve..most new trucks are dialed back from their full potential.....The Sprinter is held back as well my tech showed me....

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The only time our truck has seen 65 mph is going down a hill or when it was hooked to a tow truck!

We though are not planning at this time to change our ECM to be legal to run in Canada. The "not tamper proof" is really irritating and if it can be set back who wants to change the ECM going into Canada and then change when coming back out? The Canada loads do not pay that well to begin with and the hassle of coming back out is often just not worth it. At this time we will also say no to the speed limiter but might reconsider when we see how it goes.

If the loads start paying a lot better than they have in the past there might be more interest in having this done to the truck. I am sure all of the Canadians are really looking forward to freight rates sky rocketing as well as the residents of California.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i know i say this allot ,i read allot and can't remember where i read it but i thought there was news a month or so back that they wear going to back peddle on that plan.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wondering what others are gonna due after the 1st,not expecting much info from carrier.I wil not be putting the limiters on my trks,we only run up there about 10% of the time.What are the fines and such if anyone has researched it.

First of all; it's not a Canada wide law but specific to Ontario. Quebec has a similar law on their books as well. I'd suggest you contact the people responsible for the law.

Here is the email address of the Premier of Ontario, Dalton McGuinty

https://www.premier.gov.on.ca/feedback/feedback.asp

Here is the email address of the Minister of Transport, Jim Bradley

Feedback Form: Minister of Transportation

I'd be curious if they would respond to your questions.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Piper1, why don't you guys get rid of the melon heads? Maybe your as doomed as we are down here and are not able to get rid of all the bums, idiots and fools. We just got rid of one bunch of fools and put in a cowardly lion and a scarecrow without a brain. What a great place. Layoutshooter

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Problem is the "mellonheads" I speak of are the clowns running the Ontario Trucking Association and I don't get to vote them out.

These "progressive" thinkers came up with this gem in the interest of "safety" and "environmental responsibility".

This same group (who has lots of fleet members with big square 5mpg trucks) proceeded to scream bloody hell when the government wanted to ban hand held cell phone use while driving. Guess it's safe to steer with your knees as long as you don't go over 65mph.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Unless you have trucks from the dark ages,you already have limiters.Every electronic engine can have the speed set.There is nothing to buy,you just go to your truck dealer, and for a slight fee,he will set the speed you want.My truck will do 2100 rpms,and with the gear ratio it has,that should be 97 mph,but the speed in 10th gear is set at 80,so 80 is as fast as it will go.and that is where it will stay :rolleyes:

Please advise what dealer only charges "a slight fee". NO BODY I KNOW!

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
I run there about 80 percent of the time. I'm not going to alter my truck. I think it is very arrogant of Ontario and Quebec to introduce this law. Just inforce the speed limit like others do. As far as I'm concerned they can do without.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Please advise what dealer only charges "a slight fee". NO BODY I KNOW!

All dealers selling trucks and cars have the ability to set the maximum speed of your car or truck.My 2000 trans am maxes out at 159 mph,although it is geared to run way over 200 mph.My truck will run 80 but is geared for 97,and as the caffee's, unless down hill doesnt see 65.In my car it is done with a chip in the rev limiter,the truck is done with a computer adjusting the speed in the ECM

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run there about 80 percent of the time. I'm not going to alter my truck. I think it is very arrogant of Ontario and Quebec to introduce this law. Just inforce the speed limit like others do. As far as I'm concerned they can do without.

It is also of states to have split speed limits when all studies conclude it is unsafe. Especially arrogant Ohio and that real stupid 55mph....

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Do you know for sure it will only go 159?:D

on the dyno,296 rear wheel hp and computer shut down at 159 mph in 5th gear,same in 6th gear.,I can tell you it will run 105 in 3rd gear at 13.57 seconds,144 in 4th gear, on interstate 76 between mm33 and 38,in ohio.

Last edited:

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Thanks RobA for the link,I was wondering more how it wil be enforced.Wil it be a question ya get at the gate? any guns,weapons,and do you have a limiter.If you say you do,wil they accept a recite from a sevice center or wil they be able to plug into you trk and check the codes.I am thinking in term of how it wil get enforced and the conceqenses for non compliance.I understand there not going to info the trks how there going to enforce it,wondering how you think they might.I drive a van,i do have a d unit with a solo and he doesn't get up there much.However when he does go it pays pretty well and with things being tough i don't want to limit him [pardon the pun] I hope the 6 month thing is in effect it would be helpful.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Canada Customs won't enforce the rule....just like US border Service doesn't charge for log violations...I've claimed beer purchases at the border and the tower said becareful don't let the troopers catch you with it....since it's illegal for a commercial veh. to carry alcohol

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with OVM, not a customs issue. If the MTO pulls you in for an inspection, they'll have a scanner to plug in and they'll supposedly know how to use it.