Canada canada speed limiters,what to do

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well obviously speeding will get you pulled over immediately but further to that the DOT will probably pull over anyone with anything not perfect (lights, improper lane changes and whatever else). There has been an increase in inspections in the GTA (greater toronto area) where the DOT has been pulling over everything and anything with a commercial plate that looks the slightest bit out of sorts, including vans, pickups etc.

Hopefully rather than pulling over all US operators except at scales they do so at the scales and give the operator a pamphlet and words to the wise and onward you go, but that's not likely knowing the ministry boys. Give them an inch and some take the mile plus.
Rob

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
After reading this, it makes me wonder how it's going to be enforced. If you are speeding then it's obvious that you don't have a limiting device.
So, I wonder if they will be pulling random trucks just to check if there is a limiter on them?

If you're going 115kph they will be able to say with certainty that you are not complying.
Sounds like they'll be equipped to do checks, other than when you're speeding, wherever they feel like it. I would think it will be the same as now, where you won't be bothered unless there is some other reason to pull you over. I guess we will find out more once the 'educational period' commences, and will report back here.
And don't forget, I believe OOIDA will still be pursuing this in court, (they had to wait until it was actually law, before they could challenge it), so it may get quashed in the end anyway... there is hope!

Enforcement
Police and MTO enforcement officers will use both existing traffic control techniques and portable electronic testing units to verify the activation of a vehicle speed limiter at 105 km/h maximum.

The use of portable electronic testing units will provide access to the vehicle engine data and confirm if the limiter has been activated at a speed of 105 km/h or less. It will be necessary for officers to plug into a data port located within the cab of the truck.

Coming Into Force
Speed limiter regulations is in force effective January 1, 2009. There will be an educational enforcement period of six months to allow carriers to have the vehicle speed limiter set during the normal course of maintenance avoiding unnecessary additional costs to comply with the legislated requirement. Traditional enforcement will commence once the educational enforcement period is complete.

(9) In any proceeding under this section and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, proof that a commercial motor vehicle was driven on a highway at a speed equal to or greater than the speed prescribed for the purpose of this subsection is proof that the vehicle was not equipped with a speed-limiting system that was activated and functioning as required by subsection (1). 2008, c. 8, s. 1.

17. The prescribed speed for the purposes of subsection 68.1 (9) of the Act is 115 kilometres per hour. O. Reg. 396/08, s. 1.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
There is a solution,US trucks stay in US,Candian trucks stay up north,there can be relay points at the border to transfer the freight.It will keep everyone busy,and the US trucks won't have to worry about the slower moving Canadian trucks,that will be causing traffic jams here in the states.Just my 2 cents

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exemptions
b) it is engaged in providing relief in an emergency, being a situation or impending situation that constitutes a danger of major proportions to life, property or the environment, whether caused by forces of nature, an accident, an intentional act or otherwise; or

(c) it is operated by or on behalf of a municipality, road authority, public utility or of the government of Ontario or of Canada while responding to a situation or impending situation that constitutes an imminent danger, though not one of major proportions, to life, property or the environment, whether caused by forces of nature, an accident, an intentional act or otherwise. O. Reg. 396/08, s. 1.

So if you keep in mind what the load is and for whom...you could get in under this provision...especially if it's an emergency relief load for say flood victims or whatever....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
shouldn't this be "Give them 2.54 centimeters and some take 1.609344 kilometers plus"

it is north of the boarder

I can't help myself...Lord help me....:rolleyes:

Gee betcha ya had to use one of them conversion charts to come up with that quip?

Should have used the spell check as well, since you mis-spelled BORDER!! *LOL*:D

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Yeah it should have been centimeters and meters but the old farts who came up with this law and pushed it are all over 50 so they remember inches and miles and their trailers are marked 13'-9" (whatever) and many drove south of the border (note spelling). The trailer height is also coloured just like their neighbours'. Gee a spelling lesson as well, what a wonder web site. Ok gotta run got a shortie run to do..
Rob

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I did, but the radio was beeping at me so had to answer and then get going... Dispatch loves to make it sound like it's gotta go this second when you actually have an hour... oh well it's done...
Rob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah it should have been centimeters and meters but the old farts who came up with this law and pushed it are all over 50 so they remember inches and miles and their trailers are marked 13'-9" (whatever) and many drove south of the border (note spelling). The trailer height is also coloured just like their neighbours'. Gee a spelling lesson as well, what a wonder web site. Ok gotta run got a shortie run to do..
Rob

See guys...even Rob spells coloUred with a U

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey FIS53, I am one of those "old farts" that like Miles and Feets!!! The Metric system is a communist plot!!!!!! LOL. There is nothing worse than metric firearms calibers. They sound woosy and stupid and millimeter sounds like a bug rather then a measurement. Layoutshooter