can this be done?

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I would like to pull a trailer behind my straight?
from bumper to bumper my truck is 40' long how long of a trailer can I put behind it?

I know it sounds kinda crazy but most of my freight is LTL not expedite and I would like to pull a flat with ramps.

any ideas?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say it would depend on the state and their combination lengths. As odd as it sounds, the circus and fairs pulls trailers with straights all the time.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those Swift rigs sit low but you can drive through from the trailer to the truck.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
KW, why not go with a tractor/trailer. Some shippers may have a problem with putting freight on an open top trailer. Others may not want to run a forlift on a flatbed and then into the truck across ramps. Unless some of your customers require a flat bed for their freight, I think a van trailer is the way to go.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems like you'd either be carrying something that's van freight and would be up front so the trailer would be dead weight or vice versa. Why not a tractor and a trailer with the Roll Tite or Roll Rite or whatever it is that makes a flatbed almost into a van? It seems like it would offer the flexibility of this combo with greater weight capacity and easier maneuverability.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

as I said have said before I dont expedite everyday and it isnt my plan to have a fork lift drive from one trailer to the other.I am going to use a pintle hitch and a set of dollies to pull a pup trailer a curtain side van may be best but the second trialer would be loaded from the side in most cases.and I could also maybe find a refer pup but my choice would be flat because I do odd runs that take me to places like MT and there is more flat ltl than van in those areas.I can load Light poles out of Milwaukee with 5 or 6 stops that pays over $2 per mile but the weight is under 10,000#.I dont want to buy another truck mine is paid for and I dont want another 1,500+ payment I just want to use what I already have.