Can a van driver in Chicago make good $$

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
I live in the Chicago area, new to expediting, have a CDL w/hazmat, I'm curious, could I also make good money running a van for a owner operator if I run hard since I can be off the log books in a van? Or am I better off in a straight truck? Thanks for sharing your advice and experience.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ifyou owned the van you would proibably do OK in the Chicago area. But usually splitting van revenue with the owner is not worth it. You say you want to run hard as no logbooks are required but in spite of that some of the expediting companys look at your last delivery as too how many hours you ran and will force you to take a break.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Dog:

One man's good money is another's poverty, and yet another man's wealth. Chicago, however, is a great inbound and outbound expedited freight area. Van operators from greater Chicagoland generally do as well, or better, from there as most any other location west of the east coast.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have also seen the problem is not how hard you can run and will run it is how many load offers do you get? The van load offers seem to be few and far between.

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
I kind of figured that, though Chicago might be a better area, their still may be too many vans, and no matter how hard you arer willing to drive, you can't drive if there are no loads.

I might be better off going to straight truck I'm guessing. Or am I wrong?

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your advice. I'm thinking that too. Now to find someone to drive for is the challenge. I've noticed recruiters don't return calls. I'm assuming because they have nothing available or they probably would have.