C/V's Dead?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Just read this morning on my financial page where gas and diesel will be going up 50 a gallon more over the next two weeks. I wonder how many big trucks will be shutting down because of that. Like another reply stated that truckers w/o apu's will have to shut down regardless of the weather because it's cheaper for them to stay in a motel. I think with all that if the economy does keep going, cargo vans might be saving some manufacturers skins.:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how many big trucks will be shutting down because of that.

Why do you guys always assume that vans/sprinters are the white knight of the expediting world?

I don't see trucks "shutting down" because fuel gets to $4 a gallon, however I do see the use of trucks to take more van freight in the same direction, say four van loads from here to Laredo with a couple stops on the way. All of it makes more money and at that point $4 a gallon is OK.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Why do you guys always assume that vans/sprinters are the white knight of the expediting world?

I don't see trucks "shutting down" because fuel gets to $4 a gallon, however I do see the use of trucks to take more van freight in the same direction, say four van loads from here to Laredo with a couple stops on the way. All of it makes more money and at that point $4 a gallon is OK.

So does each load sit on the dock waiting for the next load to be finished and so on. Why stop there, why not just fill up a container, then ship it? So much for expedite or exclusive use!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I guess it comes down to this;

A lot of companies will sell exclusive use while others will set arbitrary deadlines for the freight to make a sale.

Most of what I have seen in the past 5 years is not expedited or need to get there yesterday freight but rather stuff that can be shipped effectively both with time and cost on a truck with multiple loads.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I did miss-quote. I meant to say people will be loosing more trucks.
(Repo's). That's what I meant. I forgot what the number of small trucking company's that went out two years ago because of fuel prices but it was staggering.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
greg wrote:

Hmmm.. It didn't happen that way in 98...we seen more then a few Trucking companies go under....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
'98 is a long time ago and things have changed too much to make a comparison. For that matter, the number of companies that went under are not explained to who and why, it just seems to be an aggregate.