C/P from another site and it ain't good news

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
According to an article dated 7-24-07 in The Trucker News Services.

Today the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit issued its decision on Hours of Service choosing to vacate

the 11-hour daily driving time and the 34-hour restart provisions of the regulations issued in August 2005. Leaving the rest

of the current rule in place.

The court's decision will not become effective for 52 days, which means that the 11-hour limit and 34-hour restart stay in place

for at least that time frame.

The court concluded that FMCSA violated the Administrative Procedure Act because it failed to give interested parties an

opportunity to comment on the crash-risk model that the agency used to justify an increase in the maximum number of daily and weekly hours that truck drivers may drive and work.

Regarding the split sleeper-berth provision of the rule, the court denied the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Asso.'s petition and dismissed the three arguments that OOIDA and the intervener raised regarding the split sleeper-berth. TCA was one of the intervener's.

By the court rule, FMCSA has 45 days to petition for reconsideration. After that time and within seven days, the court's mandate will stand. In addition to possibly seeking reconsideration, which is seldom granted, the parties involved can seek a stay of the mandate to keep the current provisions in place pending the remand and further agency action.

FMCSA issued a statement in response. "We are analyzing the decision issued today to understand the courts findings as well as determine the agency's next steps to prevent driver fatigue, ensure safe and efficient motor carrier operations and save lives. "it reads" "This decision does not go into effect until Sept 14, unless the court orders otherwise."

The American Trucking Associations intends to seek a stay from the court to allow the 11-hour daily drive time and 34-hour restart to remain in place until the agency can reevaluate these regulations.

This is the second rule vacated, at least in part by the court. A finale rule released in 2003 was thrown out by the same court after numerous groups challenged it.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
sorry to be so ignorant, but what exactly does that mean?
No split sleeper berth time.. I do understand that

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If this goes through it is going to even add more pressure to the solo drivers. Between only being able to drive ten hours and then with the EOBR's on the horizon there are going to be major changes in the expedite field.
I do not think we will ever go back to the split sleeper birth.

arrbsthw This was an old rule where a team could drive five hours on and then five hours off and keep rotating drive times.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ok, someone correct the two people who work for Utah and Michigan.

I can drive up to 11 hours

I can split this time with on duty time to extend it to 14 hours combined driving and on duty time - but never go over 11 hours driving

I can also take a 2 hour break during that time as sleeper time or off duty time but I must have either 8 hours sleeper/off duty time on either end of my drive/on duty time or have 10 hours reset at the end - I don't think I explained that right but yes you can split in a way the 11 hours of drive time.

For me, I don't see a change.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What I got from it is that everything is staying the same, for the time being. I guess that's better than the alternative... it happening right now.

What ever happened to the courts coming down on the FMCSA over the training issues set forth by Congress? Proper training would aleviate a lot of the problems the public is having with trucks. The issue with HOS is an ongoing battle that will only be resolved when we're allowed to drive 2 hrs with a 22 hr break. Even then some ppl won't be happy.

Oh... one other thing. Do you see this ruling as pushing the Mexican truck agenda? I do.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
What I see is Ralph Nader's group basically fighting any provision that happened to take place on George Bush's watch, no matter what it is.

Yes, the present rules will stay in place for the moment, but it sounds as if the courts are coming down on FMCSA in favor of special interest groups, (but none that represent the trucker),and 45 days is not a lot of time to make sure to answer with adequacy.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
From what I heard on Land Line Now on XM is if the FMCSA goes along with the courts recommendation it will mean we are limited to 10 hours driving per day. Yes Greg, I believe this will impact us severely. Not only will we be limited by one less hour per day, you know FedEx will adjust our max miles per trip from 550 to 500. Less miles is not what I need... I don't know how the 34 hour rule going away would affect us. I wish someone would explain that.

T-Hawk is right. They will not be happy until they make it impossible to make a living.

We are our own worst enemies in some ways. Public perception of truckers is horrible and it is easy to see why. Just drive into a truck stop and look around. The trash on the ground, the drivers appearances getting out of their trucks, the smell of some of the drivers in line inside and the condition of some of the trucks. It only takes a very small number of bad apples to make the whole barrel look bad. In just the last week I have witnessed a tractor trailer run me completely off the road, a truck pulling out of a pilot and the co-driver roll his window down and dump a huge bag of trash in the ditch and got behind a guy that could not have had a shower in over a week. People were about to pass out anywhere near this guy. If I could have gotten the truck number and company name I would have called his company and the Tenn. state patrol on the guy dumping trash. If we don't find a way to clean up our own business it won't get better, it will just get worse.

The Mexican pilot truck deal is dead according to Land Line. Congress passed a bill that cut off all federal funding to support it and they said that should do it.