"Buying" into a Van?

chada75

Seasoned Expediter
I been reading the ads for Vans and Straight Trucks and some of them are leased to Phanter, Express-1, etc. I asked a lady at Phanter about "Buying" into Expediting with a used Van that's already with the company and what would I need to do. She could n't answer the question. Has anybo dy here ever done this? It seems like a good idea. Thanks for any help! Chada75

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I believe he is asking if there is any advantage to buying a van that has already been in service with one of the expediting companies. This is, as he stated, often mentioned in the classifieds as an implied benefit.
I would think you should just get the best deal you can on a van that meets the specs for the company you have in mind. Finally, the nicest van in the world won't get you into the company if YOU don't meet the specs required for drivers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chada75
I understand part of the question. To answer it, yes there is a big advantage to buying a van that is in the fleet already. I won't go into the 'you got to select the company to conform to your goals' bit, others will/may but here is what I got to say;

The advantage is about reducing the up front cost. That is there is a signage cost, a qualcomm cost and a records cost to a point.

With a van the first two can cost somewhere around $1000 but hey if they are already there, you are a grand ahead of the game. With a truck there are the records, which is part DOT and part company, like when they want to see the truck to make sure that it is a truck, this saves you another step in the process and sometimes a few hundred.

Hope that answers your question.

chada75

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the info. Form what I read it seems like the best option since the only thing needed is for the driver to meet the company's specs. My biggest concern on buying a Van or Truck is that I get it prepared like how the company wants it and then someone finds something wrong with it at the Inspection. Whether as with a leased van, That part of it is out of the equation.

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I thought most people leased the QC. If so then it would not be included with the purchase of a vehicle as it would have been returned when they left the carrier. If it was included you would expect the seller to factor it into the price. As for the signage, if it matches the company you already have chosen that's great but I would not reverse the process and chose a company just because their name is already on some guy's truck.
You mention a lease...most people with experience on the subject do not recommend leasing from the company that supplies your freight. I hate to be negative but the easiest (and cheapest) way is not always the best in this business.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
chada75
I have hauled 3900 lbs in it with no problems,

I am wondering what the GVW and unloaded weight is or can someone tell me that you can actually put 3900lbs in a van and remain legal with a 6.0 oil burner?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wasn't it the powerstroke 6L they were having problems with? pulled it off the market and introduced the 6.3?

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I am wondering what the GVW and unloaded weight is or can someone tell me that you can actually put 3900lbs in a van and remain legal with a 6.0 oil burner?

Can't happen. There is no legal or safe way you can put that much weight on a cargo van.
If I was trying to sell a van, I don't think I would want the person I was trying to sell it to know I overloaded it that way.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now heres one of them situations where the door sticker says the payload is 3960 lbs and gvw is 9400 lbs leaving an empty weight of.....5440lbs....no way that van is that light empty.

What does a DOT officer do in this case...????

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
The DOT Officer don't care how much weight is in the van, his only concern is how much weight is on the ground.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Yes you can. I carried 4 small, low to ground pallets of steel tubing, Straped down, secured with 2x4's nailed to the floor all around them! Think outside the box!

I am not talking about whether or not you can secure the freight. I am talking about operating the van is a safe mannor. If the max GVW is 9600 then that is the max. total legal weight.
Now as you point out "think outside the box" The total weight is.
#1 the empty curb weight
#2 the weight of the fuel
#3 the weight of the driver
#4 the weight of any added product ie: clothing, tools, etc.

By my estimate all those things added up to only 60 or so pounds in the van we was talking about.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Thats not an answer....Thanks

The MANUFACTURERS Sticker says Payload value....Are they giving false info?

The DOT can do anything to a cargo van that they can do to a big truck. Give a ticket, make the driver get legal etc.
As far as the Manufacture giving out the PAYLOAD value, I believe that is misleading to say the least. It could make someone believe they can put that much cargo into their truck. My door sticker does not say PAYLOAD, it says maximum GVW.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with you up a point. I am not saying anything about your driving experience, okay? But let me ask you a question, Lets say that you was in a accident that legaly was not your fault. You did everything on earth to avoid the accident but the accident happened and someone got hurt. Your van was overloaded and you ended up in some Tn court being prosicuted for driving a vehicle that was unsafe, need I say more??

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with you up a point. I am not saying anything about your driving experience, okay? But let me ask you a question, Lets say that you was in a accident that legaly was not your fault. You did everything on earth to avoid the accident but the accident happened and someone got hurt. Your van was overloaded and you ended up in some Tn court being prosicuted for driving a vehicle that was unsafe, need I say more??

Okay, I know I can't spell, On another subject can someone till me what the differnce is between GVW and GVWR???????

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
isn't gvw the weight of the vehicle, driver, effects and fuel? gvrw is the max weight of the loaded vehicle.

ken, my 250 has a weight ticket showing 5660# and is rated to 8660. i have to think that is with an empty tank and no driver. why, i put in a 1" thick 18" tall 96" cargo box. with that, me, my stuff and fueled my ticket at the pilot was 6360. quite a difference. me and the fuel are 630#.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK GVW and GVWR are the same thing. There is no difference between weight and weight.

The curb weight is the weight of the vehicle from the manufacture which is an 'estimate' of the weight with given options.

The problem I see is that even though one say it can and another says it can't, I don't see where the proper way to figure out the payload was used.

1 - load your van with everything you are going to use and fill up the fuel tank

2 - go get it weighed at a Cat scale or another place the ensures accurate weight.

3 - take your GVW (GVWR) and subtract the ticket weight, then subtract 200 more - that is the safe amount you can carry.

As for the DOT, a lot of DOT officers are getting ****ed at vans and hot shots and they are told not to bother the poor van owners. I know one MSP officer who put out of service one van that 2000 lb over weight that the contractor was with one of these 'top tier' carriers. He claimed it was legal to do, she said we are giving you a ticket and you will have to find another way to get it to the delivery.

Every officer interpets the laws and regulaitons differnetly but I am going to renew my call that I am really thinking that Vans should be treated like trucks, logging, inspections and running into scales.

OH and FYI, the driver has the ultimate responsiblity with their vehicle. That means if they stick 4000lbs on your van and it ends up in an accident, the insurance may not cover a dime of your problem or if you get the ticket, it's yours.

Don't forget - vans have to scale in Michigan.