Buying a van, wait until after July?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So been planning on getting back into expediting as owner op of promaster 3500. I have about a year driving for owners so i know the ropes.

Just wanna get some input, if you were where i am would you wait until the slow month of july is over with since its so close anyway?

Currently im making like 225 a week working at a hotel, so even if i get like 600 miles a week ill still be doing better, but im not sure if i wanna start the month where ill be hot as hell sitting in parking lots.

Already talked to bank, got a loan ready to go, have my down payment and then some for emergencies, already have all my supplies ordered; straps, e track, etc.

What would you do? Wait till august or go ahead and get moving?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
.....so i know the ropes.
If so, then don't buy a van.
Yeah my bad i forgot thats the advice given when you mention anything about a van on here let me address a few things.....

1. Im not working for another fleet owner. I could go into more detail but lets all just accept that.

2. I would be all for a straight truck but i cant get a loan for it i can barely get one for a van, later on in my career as i show i can pay things off i will move up. The van is a stepping stone.

3. Im getting the right van.

4. Averaging good and bad out, i do just fine in a van.

5. I have a side business i run during down time out of my van that would be a little more challenging in a large truck. But this just to keep busy without a load its not a priority.

Now with all that said id appreciate it if anyone would give me their opinion on my original question.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of bigger companies have a hiring freeze on vans now ..
So that and 2 week shutdown in July , i would wait until then .
In the meantime consider other options , such a 2nd job in area where currently at. Because

Van payment $600. to $1000. a month depending on model .
Insurance costs $150 . to $2000. a month depending on if its just full coverage or you pay for $ 1,000,000 coverage and what state you live in.
Van maintenance costs $100. to $300. depending on if you do oil changes yourself.
Food supplies.. $$$ .. a man has to eat ..
So total things up and Decide.. Do I Really Want To Do this ..?

Remember to Smile ..
it reduces Stress ..

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
If you want to get into it this year as a van, I would start in August or September. I'd be going to the Expedite Expo Show this July in Lexington and look around talk and ask questions . If it's not pressing I'd wait til March or April next year.

One thing to think of is I know there's bad fleetowners in all divisions, but I think driving for one in a Str8 would be better. To me I don't hear much bad fleetowners in Str8 as I do in vans.

Can anyone shed some light on that?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think there are plenty of bad owners with drivers in straights.
They may not last as long as bad van owners because the overhead is larger.
There’s just less straight talk on here, and they don’t park as compactly, or congregate as much as van drivers.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
In the meantime consider other options , such a 2nd job in area where currently at. Because

Insurance costs $150 . to $2000. a month depending on if its just full coverage or you pay for $ 1,000,000 coverage and what state you live in.
Van maintenance costs $100. to $300. depending on if you do oil changes yourself.

Remember to Smile ..
it reduces Stress ..

Yeah i know where your coming from with the advice but ive crunched the numbers with very conservative figures and im happy with profit. As far as the insurance a company with group insurance is a must. But yeah im probably going to wait on it till august. I definately want to do it. I love it and i miss it. But the timing is bad and id hate to go with a crap company because the good ones have a freeze now.

If you want to get into it this year as a van, I would start in August or September. I'd be going to the Expedite Expo Show this July in Lexington and look around talk and ask questions . If it's not pressing I'd wait til March or April next year.

One thing to think of is I know there's bad fleetowners in all divisions, but I think driving for one in a Str8 would be better. To me I don't hear much bad fleetowners in Str8 as I do in vans.

Why do you think next early spring? Im not going to wait that long but curious why you would choose then? Definately going to the expo. And yeah id have a better chance with a straight owner but theres a few things....first, since i was real young ive had this desire to be self employed and with a job like this i dont want to be told what i have to do. But thats secondary, mainly ive been f---ed over but all the fleet owners i drove for like 1000s of dollars (shoutout to steven dury of ES expediting out of depure WI, i still havent forgot and you better hope we dont cross paths) im 23, and even though i watch after their vans, dont turn down loads without good reason, and always be respectful something about my age makes fleet owners think they can take advantage of me. Im not willing to risk it again. But the silver lining is i want to advance to a fleet owner and with this perspective i will do everything i can to make my drivers happy which is probably the number 1 key to success with that.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

Remember to Smile ..
it reduces Stress ..

Yeah i know where your coming from with the advice but ive crunched the numbers with very conservative figures and im happy with profit. As far as the insurance a company with group insurance is a must. But yeah im probably going to wait on it till august. I definately want to do it. I love it and i miss it. But the timing is bad and id hate to go with a crap company because the good ones have a freeze now.

Why do you think next early spring? Im not going to wait that long but curious why you would choose then? Definately going to the expo. And yeah id have a better chance with a straight owner but theres a few things....first, since i was real young ive had this desire to be self employed and with a job like this i dont want to be told what i have to do. But thats secondary, mainly ive been f---ed over but all the fleet owners i drove for like 1000s of dollars (shoutout to steven dury of ES expediting out of depure WI, i still havent forgot and you better hope we dont cross paths) im 23, and even though i watch after their vans, dont turn down loads without good reason, and always be respectful something about my age makes fleet owners think they can take advantage of me. Im not willing to risk it again. But the silver lining is i want to advance to a fleet owner and with this perspective i will do everything i can to make my drivers happy which is probably the number 1 key to success with that.
The reason I'm saying next spring is when August or September comes around it won't be long winter will be here and it get slow during that time. March or April there's most of the year and you would have more money to outfit your van since your going down that road. Who knows, the Expo Show you could change your mind on somethings . I'll be at the truck show and hope to meet you there.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So been planning on getting back into expediting as owner op of promaster 3500. I have about a year driving for owners so i know the ropes.

Just wanna get some input, if you were where i am would you wait until the slow month of july is over with since its so close anyway?

Currently im making like 225 a week working at a hotel, so even if i get like 600 miles a week ill still be doing better, but im not sure if i wanna start the month where ill be hot as hell sitting in parking lots.

Already talked to bank, got a loan ready to go, have my down payment and then some for emergencies, already have all my supplies ordered; straps, e track, etc.

What would you do? Wait till august or go ahead and get moving?
Personally I would start in August because you have 4 1/2 months of good money making available. After that 2 slow months and then things start churning again in March. No sense of waiting til March of next year. JMHO.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Why wait? Sounds like you have made some good preparations for this move to expediting.

You can always go to the Expo and check out all the companies even if you are expediting.

Weather is good this time of year and it will make it easier to get adjusted. An oversupply of vans exist now, but that will probably always be the case.

You won't know a good company until you have experienced a poor one. Good Luck!

Stay safe
KG

Localrunz

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you want to get back out there do it. I figured out most these old timers on here will tell you dont do it. They dont want any more competition!!lol. For sure though stick to one of the big 3,, panther, fedex, or bolt!! Why do i say this the big companies have the freight plain and simple!! And your cost will be lower on your insurace. And you get paid when they say it. I owned my van from 2011 till 2015 drove for panther 2and half years first year made 86000 profited 33400. Next was 74000 still made 31000 profit. Good luck and stay safe

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Yeah my bad i forgot thats the advice given when you mention anything about a van on here let me address a few things.....

1. Im not working for another fleet owner. I could go into more detail but lets all just accept that.

2. I would be all for a straight truck but i cant get a loan for it i can barely get one for a van, later on in my career as i show i can pay things off i will move up. The van is a stepping stone.

3. Im getting the right van.

4. Averaging good and bad out, i do just fine in a van.

5. I have a side business i run during down time out of my van that would be a little more challenging in a large truck. But this just to keep busy without a load its not a priority.

Now with all that said id appreciate it if anyone would give me their opinion on my original question.

Go to a tech school, get certified in HVAC. Or electrician rating. U won’t go hungry.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have the green light from the bank why not start now? You need to find a van, right? You need to outfit the van for expediting with some basics like flooring, securement points (E-track etc.), insulation, roof vent, bed etc. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get set up with a carrier and do the orientation thing.

If you do have the van and it is ready to go, I would still suggest starting now unless you have doubts about expediting as an O/O and are subconsciously delaying the process.

Bucs82

Not a Member
Researching
I agree, if you get the van now even if you end up paying a little more (subjective) you have from now until august to make up the difference and bring in revenue. Waiting for something better can let you miss something you could have now. Sounds like you've made plans and decisions, strike while the iron is hot.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Well it looks like everyone is against my thought on waiting until next year, lol. Just have to wait and see what happens down the road.