Buying a van, wait until after July?

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
You seem entrepreneurial, maybe consider, when you go back to CV work, everytime you unload, ask if the consignee might have something to ship that your company could ship for them. If so, call your dispatcher or ask the dock clerk to call your dispatcher. Ask your company if they would be ok with you doing this.

Now, I am making an assumption that you haven't done this, only because you wrote: But my trade is sitting and waiting for a call from dispatch. ( Post #50 )

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I think, maybe wrong, its going to be tough to find a carrier that will lease you on. ( We would NOT ) What if I need you on a Friday eve for a 9' load, and your have 4' of clothes in your van???? My load MAY be paying $1 per mile...in a van....but you are committed for a weekend trying to sell clothes, cuz you paid for the space..... Just food for thought.....
How about you just ask how much clothes i have before jumping to all your assumptions? Ive done this for years while expediting i never have more than like 30 articles of clothes at a time they fit on a shelf....definately not 4 feet of clothes....thats like....more than id go thru in a year.

The goodwill outlets are the stuff the retail stores didnt sell, so its mostly crappy clothes cheap brands and what not, its a challenge to find sellable stuff. Like i said its more of a hobby while im bored on the road.

I wont even sacrifice load space for a permenant sleeper let alone some clothes....

:chillout: I was trying to offer help, ideas, my experience, food for thought, etc..... "4 foot'' was an example...not an assumption. Do you know the difference between an example and an assumption? Do you know how how big ST's are? Do you know the amount of cargo space you lose in a CV vs. a ST? Why should I ask how much clothes you carry in your van? ( I'm ASKING, cuz you want to be asked:rolleyes: )
I could be wrong as you seem to have it all figured out..... but in my humble opinion,
You sacrifice Loads of space driving a CV over ST, and you're kinda sitting a lot cuz you drive a van.
And from your posts, you drive a van for a clothes hobby? Unless CV interstate laws are different than Class 8 trucks, how have you been doing this for "years"?, you're 23 according to your Bio, and you work lawn Maint currently? Is That correct? If you've been expediting for years, why is a CV a stepping stone now?:morewaitingisrequired:
Got my cdl at 21 and 3 months into driving tt's. Didnt like it, was going to go back to school for computer programming, then i learned about expediting and gave it a try. Liked it a lot better. Even made more money in a van than i did for a tt as company driver. i did this up until last october for fleet owner. Got tired of getting 1 day at home for 2 weeks otr. Decided id get a local job till the end of winter then start as an owner op. Personal stuff happened and i decided to wait till august to start.

So, like i said in my second post, i dont have much credit, its going to be a stretch to even get a loan for a used van, let alone buying a straight truck. So, my plan is to pay off a van asap, get that on my credit, and move up to a ST. Either sell the van or put a driver in it.

As far as the clothes thing, its just getting confusing and messy. It was a "and also" type fact for why i was getting a van and not a straight truck. Its basically like saying i like to go to the park when im between loads, it would never effect my main expediting business.

Last edited:

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
You seem entrepreneurial, maybe consider, when you go back to CV work, everytime you unload, ask if the consignee might have something to ship that your company could ship for them. If so, call your dispatcher or ask the dock clerk to call your dispatcher. Ask your company if they would be ok with you doing this.

Now, I am making an assumption that you haven't done this, only because you wrote: But my trade is sitting and waiting for a call from dispatch. ( Post #50 )
Well, i would imagine a lot of licensing is required by shippers. My insurences would be through my carrier most likely, im 23 so insurance will be higher for me, companies with group insurance makes this cost much cheaper for me. i wont have a dot number, my own commerical insurance, registered business (at first), etc.

Now, down the road id like to be doing what you are doing, but for now im where im at. Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.

Granted i never tried asking that, id assume they would make sure all of this was square first. Perhaps id get a few under the table jobs for cash? Idk.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I think, maybe wrong, its going to be tough to find a carrier that will lease you on. ( We would NOT ) What if I need you on a Friday eve for a 9' load, and your have 4' of clothes in your van???? My load MAY be paying $1 per mile...in a van....but you are committed for a weekend trying to sell clothes, cuz you paid for the space..... Just food for thought.....
How about you just ask how much clothes i have before jumping to all your assumptions? Ive done this for years while expediting i never have more than like 30 articles of clothes at a time they fit on a shelf....definately not 4 feet of clothes....thats like....more than id go thru in a year.

The goodwill outlets are the stuff the retail stores didnt sell, so its mostly crappy clothes cheap brands and what not, its a challenge to find sellable stuff. Like i said its more of a hobby while im bored on the road.

I wont even sacrifice load space for a permenant sleeper let alone some clothes....

:chillout: I was trying to offer help, ideas, my experience, food for thought, etc..... "4 foot'' was an example...not an assumption. Do you know the difference between an example and an assumption? Do you know how how big ST's are? Do you know the amount of cargo space you lose in a CV vs. a ST? Why should I ask how much clothes you carry in your van? ( I'm ASKING, cuz you want to be asked:rolleyes: )
I could be wrong as you seem to have it all figured out..... but in my humble opinion,
You sacrifice Loads of space driving a CV over ST, and you're kinda sitting a lot cuz you drive a van.
And from your posts, you drive a van for a clothes hobby? Unless CV interstate laws are different than Class 8 trucks, how have you been doing this for "years"?, you're 23 according to your Bio, and you work lawn Maint currently? Is That correct? If you've been expediting for years, why is a CV a stepping stone now?:morewaitingisrequired:
Got my cdl at 21 and 3 months into driving tt's i learned about expediting and gave it a try, i did this up until last october for fleet owner. Got tired of getting 1 day at home for 2 weeks otr. Decided id get a local job till the end of winter then start as an owner op. Personal stuff happened and i decided to wait till august to start.

So, like i said in my second post, i dont have much credit, its going to be a stretch to even get a loan for a used van, let alone buying a straight truck. So, my plan is to pay off a van asap, get that on my credit, and move up to a ST. Either sell the van or put a driver in it.

As far as the clothes thing, its just getting confusing and messy. It was a "and also" type fact for why i was getting a van and not a straight truck. Its basically like saying i like to go to the park when im between loads, it would never effect my main expediting business.

Maybe try Expedited Services out of Mississippi. They have a Path To Ownership program. There are some Youtube videos and info page on internet. Worth a call. I think I read around here that they have a pretty good reputation.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

......Perhaps id get a few under the table jobs for cash? Idk.

No, No, No....... don't ever do that. If shlt happens, it could open up a can of worms like you've never seen before.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

No, No, No....... don't ever do that. If shlt happens, it could open up a can of worms like you've never seen before.

Why So?? I ask, and have them call our Broker/carrier/agent on the occasion something needs to be moved..... I don't move it on our Authority, because I'm only there because it's a Broker, etc.... I don't step on toes of biz partners.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Why So?? I ask, and have them call our Broker/carrier/agent on the occasion something needs to be moved..... I don't move it on our Authority, because I'm only there because it's a Broker, etc.... I don't step on toes of biz partners.
I'm talking about him taking a load for cash under the table.

Reactions: DollarSign

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

I'm talking about him taking a load for cash under the table.

OH ..... Yes, NEVER :eek::eek:do a cash under the table move..... I musta missed that. Thx for clarifying;)

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah i wouldnt do it illegally. And im not set up to do it legally without my own authority. So i wait for dispatches call for the time being (soon anyway)

Ive actually tried calling ES, they couldnt help me with my little credit, that was a little while ago tho so i may try again. Dont want a lot of hard inquirys on my credit score.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I no longer drive - after the first week of July, you could be missing out on some good paying loads. July has been my top paying month for the years I didn’t follow the so called “ shut down”.
On top of that, I made more deliveries to the Auto plants and supporting plants than I did during the year. They are not the only ones who make mistakes. The contractors doing the re- tooling make mistakes as well and need our help to keep the re-tooling process going. Remember, we have freight from other means as well.

Every month, in this business can easily be a July.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was with Con-Way Now they always recommended taking vacation time in January. I had many excellent Januarys and often took the last week off.

Reactions: DollarSign

Gino212

New Recruit
Owner/Operator

Dude.. Keep on doing what you're doing and stay focused on your goals! Don't let ANYONE discourage you! You're only 23 yrs old.... And look how you think!.. 10 years from now,,,,, (if you stay at it) You'll be a Fleet Owner doing alright looking back at these threads smiling saying what if i gave up??... Be strong young brother and Go out n Get It!