Business Minded or just a Job?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
With so many Post's over the last year or since the inception of affordable lap tops, one cannot help but notice the question being born with idea that this is considered just a job from the questions of many who do not understand this business.

And God forbid you give them the straight answer that this is a Business or is it?

Do the regular Posters those who care to see others succeed, really want to see someone just give this a try? How many have prospered to new highs just giving it try? Some like to critize when an honest answer is given (Do not enter this with that attitude I wana just give it a try) when it is the Truth. I view this as an Industry for Business Minded People not job seekers.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>With so many Post's over the last year or since the
>inception of affordable lap tops, one cannot help but notice
>the question being born with idea that this is considered
>just a job from the questions of many who do not understand
>this business.
>
>And God forbid you give them the straight answer that this
>is a Business or is it?
>
>Do the regular Posters those who care to see others succeed,
>really want to see someone just give this a try? How many
>have prospered to new highs just giving it try? Some like
>to critize when an honest answer is given (Do not enter this
>with that attitude I wana just give it a try) when it is the
>Truth. I view this as an Industry for Business Minded
>People not job seekers.

And YOUR opinions and YOUR views are just that,YOUR opinions and YOUR views.

No matter how hard you try or how strongly worded your posts (comments)are,they are merely YOUR opinions.Everyone sees things differently and you telling them that they are looking at things incorrectly is not going to change that.DD.

ManLaw

Seasoned Expediter
Broompilot-I'm curious, why do you care WHY people enter this industry?
Some people try this out as a way to fill their retirement years with a way see the country and get paid for it. Others enter it as a way to spend more time with a spouse. Others get the big sleeper models and enjoy the good life hauling freight and seeing the country while playing tourist in the slow or off time. Some people see it as business and nothing more. Does that make anyone hauling freight for ANY reason WRONG? Should only people that have a written business plan enter the expediting business? Should there only be O/O and NOT people who drive for O/O?

I guess your post leaves me with more questions than answers. Can you elaborate on why you posted this? Do you think there are drivers out here that aren't as serious as you about making money in the business? Do you think there are drivers taking YOUR loads? Are the questions that people ask here on EO BOTHERING you? Do you see some questions less worthy of an answer than others? Should only people in the "KNOW" ask questions here and disagree with the answers?

Just curious.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That is a really, really profound statement about this occupation.

When one is speaking with me about driving, or, contracting, them even uttering the word "TRY", the interview is finished. Hard? Maybe, however, that is a really weak word.

ManLaw

Seasoned Expediter
So col, I suppose you entered the expediting business as a veteran. You didn't enter into it thinking I guess I'll "TRY" it out to see if it works out for me? A rookie veteran. Now THERE'S a unique concept.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>
>
> That is a really, really profound statement about this
>occupation.
>
> When one is speaking with me about driving, or,
>contracting, them even uttering the word "TRY", the
>interview is finished. Hard? Maybe, however, that is a
>really weak word.

Well if I ever try to contract with your company,I will try to remember that......OOOOPPPSSS,I screwed it up already.DD.
:7

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As a fleet owner, I don't really concern myself too much with the "why".
As long as they understand the lifestyle, and we have the same expectations, everyone walks away happy.
I would agree if someone just wants "to try it", they aren't really a candidate for how I operate.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Opps I screewed up (what else is new?) Thought of any good posts lately or just repeats of what everyone comments on.

As for what I care? Thats why I post gota a problem with it than dont bother reading it MM. It gets items going on here do not see any intresting start up posts by either one of you to MM or DD.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well I have several replies to this. We have met both Broom and the Colonel and they BELIEVE me are not the same person!

Everyone does get into this business for a different reason and to many it is just a job. I cannot imagine how miserable this business would be if this was just a job! Yuck

We are ones that jumped into this with everything we had. We planned for a year for this change in our lives. We read everything we could get our hands on and we talked to as many people as we could. We where in one word PREPARED for the ups and downs of the market. We started in January a typically slow month so we could learn to sleep while the other drove. We knew it was all or nothing. Sold the house and put that money away, sold almost everything we owned and moved in with our daughter. We sometimes miss not having our own house but we love the freedom we have to walk away from the apartment and no worries! Perfect situation for us and in three years of being Owner Operators we have never had so much fun in our lives.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
PS MM why dont you also go look up Driver Pay under Newbee section. Opinion or this just some truth? $6.18 an hour now thats what I want for retirement anyone else willing to work for that wage and pay your own expenses?

Smart real Smart, so thats my answer to your comments. YES I CARE, and yes I am tired of loosing freight to people making no $ so someone else can profit off of ones (not knowing) but I give this guy credit. HE ASKED and did not ASSUME. As some try to make it look.

Got anything to add that ANY of us can learn from?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
"PS MM "

Who are you talking to?? If you're speaking to Manlaw then the initials would be ML, wouldn't they??? It's all good tho.....you "tried".

ManLaw

Seasoned Expediter
>Opps I screewed up (what else is new?) Thought of any good
>posts lately or just repeats of what everyone comments on.
>
>As for what I care? Thats why I post gota a problem with it
>than dont bother reading it MM. It gets items going on here
>do not see any intresting start up posts by either one of
>you to MM or DD.

WHOA down there Broom. I was just curious what your point was in the whole post. I don't see why you think that people that disagree with the answers that you give don't deserve to ASK questions. I don't understand why you think that everyone needs to have a "Prime Directive" in order to drive a truck?

STILL....just curious

ManLaw

Seasoned Expediter
>PS MM why dont you also go look up Driver Pay under Newbee
>section. Opinion or this just some truth? $6.18 an hour
>now thats what I want for retirement anyone else willing to
>work for that wage and pay your own expenses?
>
> Smart real Smart, so thats my answer to your comments. YES
>I CARE, and yes I am tired of loosing freight to people
>making no $ so someone else can profit off of ones (not
>knowing) but I give this guy credit. HE ASKED and did not
>ASSUME. As some try to make it look.
>
>Got anything to add that ANY of us can learn from?

WOW, now I see that if people ask you any kind of REAL questions you have a problem with them. I was just trying to understand your point.

BTW-if all you're making is $6.18 an hour, you might want to "TRY" another occupation, because obviously THIS ONE isn't working for you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well Jean, I don't do anything for $hits and grins, Is there anything else you choose to know today? I certainly wouldn't intrust my customers freight to someone who wants to "try" it.. Believe it or not, this freight IS very important to someone, or, someones, even if you don't think so.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>
>
> Well Jean, I don't do anything for $hits and grins, Is
>there anything else you choose to know today? I certainly
>wouldn't intrust my customers freight to someone who wants
>to "try" it.. Believe it or not, this freight IS very
>important to someone, or, someones, even if you don't think
>so.

With that last remark, it's obvious that you have no idea who you're talking to.....you should be so lucky to have someone like this person driving for you!!

ManLaw

Seasoned Expediter
Diesel Diva THANK YOU!!! I appreciate your words. As you WELL know, I don't need the "col" to tell me whether I can make a success of myself in this business or not. I've ALREADY proved myself time and time again.

As for your statement there col.....we all now know that you had to go to my profile to look up my name. NOT A PROBLEM!! Just proves you're nosey. You DON'T KNOW ME, nor will you anytime soon!!

I've hauled everything from an envelope to 13,000 LBS of HAZMAT freight. BELIEVE ME, the envelope was just as important as the HAZMAT. I came into this business having NEVER driven a truck in my life. I would now put my skills up against you ANY DAY of the week. I didn't know if I would like this life style when I first started, and going on 7 years later, I still haven't decided if it's the "JOB" for me or not. I'm STILL "TRYING" it on for size. You see, I HAVE a life that I can go back to if this doesn't work out for me. I'm not sure what some of you think this IS....when it comes RIGHT DOWN to it....it's JUST A JOB!!! It pays my bills and provides me with some savings. At this point, what more can I ask? How would I ever know if this was going to be something I wanted to do if I didn't "TRY"? Can you PLEASE explain to me how I am suppose to know if driving a truck was something that I would enjoy doing if I DIDN'T "TRY"?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Believe his post questioned if you chose to "fish" or "cut bait"? There is a large difference, can you figgure it out there Manlaw? Which are you? A bait cutter or fisherman? Different rewards you know.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One always wants to see someone succeed regardless of their circumstances. At the same time, I will let someone else "try it" on their dime rather than mine.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator