bunk beds

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
the alumibunk beds how wide are they? was told they are 24 inches wide is that true. If it is does'nt that seem to small to have a good rest?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Wouldn't work for me. I am wider than that. Most trucks are 36 on a single I believe. Our one AB truck has one large bed that folds up on the wall. Not sure on the size....maybe 50 or 60?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Yes froggy it's true,the bunks in their vans are 24" wide.And yes that is rather small,I guess it all depends on the width of the person using it.

I would think that it would feel pretty good after a 600-700 mile day,better than a sleeping bag on the floor. :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I did!
If I rolled over I would be on the floor.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
I agree 24 inch beds are to small. I dont care what happens during the day, as long as I get a good nights sleep I'll be ready for the next day. In order to get a good nights sleep I need at least a full size matress. I agree after 700 miles of driving your not going to be thinking of the size of the bed.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I agree after 700 miles but what about those long two, three, maybee four or five days until the next load? I think you would begin to feel every ruffle in the sheets let alone how small the bed is?? Any feed back? Would love to say NEVER been there, but I would be lying.....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jeez, I thought my 28" bunk was ok, till I read how much room everyone else has, lol - now I feel crowded. I'll probably get claustrophobic, even, having to sleep in such a tiny space! :+ Seriously, though, one way to make the bunk a good place to sleep, is to invest in the best quality bedding you can find. It makes a big difference on the nights when you're not too tired to care where you sleep.
Instead of a foldup bed, what about a blow-up bed? Placed on it's side, behind the seats, when loaded with 2 pallets, it wouldn't take a lot of room, and would offer another bit of protection from a load that didn't stay secured - just in case. I've never slept on one, but they look pretty comfy, and are available at Walmart, in the camping section.

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
Thats a good idea, kill 2 birds with one stone. I would like to have an air bed but i never can seem to keep it full of air, a leak always springs up somewhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you use an air mattress, plan on replacing it about every 6 weeks or so. Especially is you inflate and deflate it on a daily basis. Every time you inflate it, it stretches a little bit more, requiring more air to be pumped in. And eventually there will be tiny holes that will develop causing leaks. If you don't deflate it daily, it will last longer, but not much, since just sleeping on it will stretch it. They're pretty cheap, really, so replacing one on a regular basis isn't that big a deal.

I slept on air mattresses for many moons in my van. Tried all of them, including several cots that have mattresses on them. Coleman makes a really nice 30x80 cot (the one with the criss-cross legs), but it's an absolute booger to put together and take down on a daily basis. If you have room to store it in its put-together state, it's a very comfortable sleep.

My air mattress of choice is the double-height twin (Ozark brand) from Wal Mart. It's as high as a regular bed and is very close to being as comfortable as my bed at home. I prefer it because you can wake up, sit up, and swing your legs over the side, and be sitting on a bed. You get into and out of bed, rather than getting down onto and crawling up off the floor. :)

I've got a permanent bunk now, 30x66 and sleep on 6-inches of foam (and a sleeping bag). I like it better than the air mattress only because it's a permanent bunk and I can always crash even when loaded. But the double-height mattress is easily more comfortable than this foam is. Eventually I'll get an innerspring mattress, or maybe even get an air mattress custom made for it.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
On the air bed post, I tried one of those, and it was winter and the air mattress got soooo cold I froze even in my sleeping bag....just wondering how it worked out for anyone who has had to use it in the dead of winter? I finally found a very comfortable mattress at Wallyworld, it is one of those memory foam mattresses, I cut it down after taking off the zip on cover, and now it fits great. I also added a cut-down mattress topper of that egg-crate type foam on top now I sleep like a baby! :)