Building CR & DR Units

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
OK, heres one for all of you that have built a CR or DR unit:
What is the reason for 99% of these units (uncluding our own) having the belly mount reefer hung on the passenger side of the truck?

We are about to embark on a journey to build a CR Unit on a 2007 KW T600B chassis with a long sleeper. Since the truck is already built and due to the taller ARI sleeper, we have to go with a belly mount on the drivers side. The Onan is on the passenger side and don't want to relocate it. The tanks are pushed to the back to keep the steer from being heavy.

Other than having to tell our box builder to put the tray on the driver's side, I can't see where it matters what side the unit is on. It should perform the same. The truck will be balanced with this configuration.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>OK, heres one for all of you that have built a CR or DR
>unit:
>What is the reason for 99% of these units (uncluding our
>own) having the belly mount reefer hung on the passenger
>side of the truck?
>
>We are about to embark on a journey to build a CR Unit on a
>2007 KW T600B chassis with a long sleeper. Since the truck
>is already built and due to the taller ARI sleeper, we have
>to go with a belly mount on the drivers side. The Onan is on
>the passenger side and don't want to relocate it. The tanks
>are pushed to the back to keep the steer from being heavy.
>
>Other than having to tell our box builder to put the tray on
>the driver's side, I can't see where it matters what side
>the unit is on. It should perform the same. The truck will
>be balanced with this configuration.

I think that one reason may be the entry point of the high pressure and return lines from the evaporator unit in the box. It was mentioned to me when I asked the Carrier dealer where I should put it. I don't think it really matters in reality seeing that the design is used in split systems with a long run for the lines. I know looking at one driver doing PM on his reefer unit, I think that the mount and the support system can be better designed - it was an absolute pain getting the unit out.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We put the reefer on the passenger side because if we put it on the driver's side, we would have to drive the truck backwards to keep the reefer on the curb side of the road.;)

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
just thought I might mention that a uts model from thermoking is the only belly mount reefer unit that was actually designed for straight trucks. the carrier units are basically a front mount trailer unit that has been split into 2 parts. I had a carrier for 5 yrs the past two have been a nightmare because of corrosion problems the units are not meant to be mounted like that. The carrier dealer said that they were working on building a model for straight trucks but it wasn't avalible in january and i was able to find a thermoking unit that was available so I went with it and so far so good

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Riverrat, I also heard that about the older models like mine, but I was told the newer units are using better materials.

Phil, you have a carrier unit, what were you told?

Deville

Not a Member
>We put the reefer on the passenger side because if we put it
>on the driver's side, we would have to drive the truck
>backwards to keep the reefer on the curb side of the road.;)

What if you are driving downa single lane one way street, than what do you do?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For us non-reefer people, why does it have to be on the curb side?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
AC lines that go into the box are the reason along with a repair being easier curb side.
I do agree that Thermoking is the only unit really designed for underbody mounting. After about the second or third year, they aquire a huge amount of rust and corrosion which results in constant downtime. If I was doing a new one, A roof mount would be my only consideration unless I went with the Thermoking.
Connections and wiring need to be simular to a generator, and they aren't.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
I think A-Team has the right approach. I am new to expedite and drive a d-unit dry van but for years our family ran an auto repair shop and we owned wreckers. Most accidents will occur on the drivers side of the vehicle. If in an accident if it is fairly minor the unit may be protected if on the passenger side. If the accident is severe there are more important thing to worry about than your reefer unit.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Our current truck (2001) has the Thermoking UTS. What a workhorse of a reefer it is!!! Unfortunately,per a conversation with our Thermoking dealer, the UTS is no longer available in the US. It does not meet the latest emmissions requirements. Until it is brought up to the current EPA standards you wont find a new one, unless there is one hidden in a TK warehouse. Our dealer has searched to no avail.
There are no plans to upgrade this unit in the near future, as there is not enough market here in the US to justify the cost we were told. They are still sold in foreign countrys that have lower requirements.

We had considered doing a knotchout in the top of the box to do a top mount unit, simular to what the Rice's had done. But after talking with Kidron and Supreme we have abandoned that idea. Mainly because the box builders aren't interested in customizing a box, and our concerns over servicability of the reefer unit.

Kevin_Sue: We could always mount a spring loaded cattle guard in front of the unit and "catapult" anyone away that trys to hit it!:7

With all said, at this time it would appear Carrier is the only option in building a belly mounted reefer unit.:'(

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
hey streakn1, talk with the thermoking dealers in Columbus Oh. or the one up by Cleveland or even the one in Knoxville The one I bought has a tier one engine and a good price with it, but it is my understanding that the tier two engines are available as the place I got mine from was going to order some as soon as they got rid of their 2006 stock. it is also my understanding that there is an upgrade kit either available now or in the near future. There is one thing, you have to order them most of the time and you are looking at a 6 to 8 week wait.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Three photos follow. The first shows a truck we had built but then rejected for a number of vendor-related reasons (that I will not go into in this thread). It shows a Thermo King UTS reefer on the driver's side.

I asked why the reefer was not placed on the passenger side, but do not recall the answer. It never became an issue because we did not buy the truck. However, the Thermo King vendor, who was among the most knowledgable reefer vendors I have met, clearly saw no harm in mounting the reefer on the driver's side.

Physically, there is no reason you cannot mount an underbody reefer on the driver's side. On the next truck, Diane and I took a more hands-on approach and specified that the reefer would be on the passenger side. We did so, not for any specific reason, except that several drivers said it is safer from harm there.

Both when moving and parked, more vehicles pass the truck on the left than the right. The reasoning is the right side of the truck is less likely to be hit by another vehicle. Generators are less expensive to replace than reefers. Thus, the generator goes on the passenger side.

The second photo shows our current truck with the reefer mounted on the passenger side. It is somewhat unusual to mount a reefer under the sleeper. We did so to enable a shorter wheelbase on the truck.

The third photo shows me giving a reefer tour (no jokes please) to a number of plant managers and engineers at the Carrier facility in Athens, GA. In December, 2006, Diane and I visited with these folks about the Carrier 850 mounted under body. They were pleased to see one in the flesh.

As others have said, Carrier does not make a reefer designed to mount on the frame or under the truck body of a straight truck. The underbody mounts, known as split installations, that are commonly seen on expedeiting trucks are dealer modifications, done at the dealer level.

I urged the Carrier people several times and in every way I knew how to design a true underbody product. They did not budge, citing engineering costs and market considerations. As a result of experiences Carrier people had with our reefer, a minor factory change has been made to the reefer to make underbody units easier to service in the field but it is of little consequence in a new purchase decison.

(By the way, after working out one bug and replacing one factory-defect item, both under warranty, our reefer has run like a top for nearly a year now and provided reliable service.)

(Also by the way, it is a myth that Carrier does not support underbody installations. To work out the bug, Carrier flew two engineers and a pile of equipment from their Athens, GA office to our dealer in Memphis. They debugged the reefer in one day.)

Regarding reefer split installations, the biggest variable on the reefer's success or failure is the dealer that installs it. Some dealers have it figured out. Others do installations that are a disaster from the moment the reefer is turned on. Still others do it wrong but not in a way that shows up until the reefer has been run a few times.

Our Carrier reefer dealer of choice is Crow's Truck Service in Memphis, TN. Three times it has happened that while we were there, underbody reefer trucks were there for major repairs. These were trucks where the split installation had been poorly done and the installing dealer could not fix it. I know one driver who says, "Nobody touches my reefer but Crow's." Diane and I are close to that same opinion but practical considerations drive us to other dealers on occasion.

If we were having a new split system reefer installed, Crow's would be the one.

Top mounteed reefers have their advantages as DaveKC pointed out. One disadvantage is the expense of hitting a bridge or low-hanging tree limb is greater if the reefer is up top.

We went with an underbody mount to gain space in the sleeper. That decision may force us to replace our reefer ahead of its time because of corrosion, but it is a decision we would happily make. The sleeper space is just too nice to have to give it up to a reefer. The reefer does not care if it is comfortable or not. We do.