Building a C-Unit

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The problems that I see with these C Units is that they are built for one specific carrier and their applications. Carriers fire contractors all the time for various reasons then what do you do with this $200.000 plus truck that has a 14 foot box.

To me the standard D unit makes the most sense,you can take it anywhere and make a buck without a monster payment. I consider a standard D to be a class 7 chassis,250HP or more,22 foot box (reefer or dry) 84 inch sleeper. These trucks are always in demand,a small C unit can also be utilized but I knew of many C units gettin B or A money.

Never think you won't get fired,in this industry ,you are gulity and must prove your innocence,customer complains about you,Joe Blow in his Honda calls up to complain about you, if you have an accident which is ruled against you ,guess what you are gone.

The point I am trying to make is to give your self other areas to function in if your carrier decides to pull your plug out of the wall. Custom spec trucks are nice until the reason for the custom goes away.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Rich is right in that anything can happen and just might and for that I digress, but it is possible and probable you will make that type of revenue if you devote yourself to and or dedicate yourself to that segment of expedite.
This is undisputable.
Mike

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Mike
I guess I am cranky over my last run, Detroit to Toronto in the slush and slippery weather with very high winds. A lot of cars and truck in the ditch and on their sides.

Maybe it is that I discovered that someone went and stole the dome off of my CLink unit while I was warming up my truck (don't ask) before the run.

Mike you are right, but I am finding that everyone is wanting a C unit. I guess after hearing a Thompson driver wanting to go to FedEx with a small unit and refering to my truck while waiting for the goofy girl to hand me my coffee got to me. even though she was entertaining, the guy got me thinking if there may be a saturation level. No matter, my operating cost are low so I can take a lot of freight teams won't.

I also think that Rich is right, the C unit seems to only fit in to FedEx, which in a way it is good. I know if I got fired tomorrow, my capital investment would still be recovered without much, if any loss to my portfolio.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Rich not to step on your toes, but as an owners of a CR unit. Our CR unit did $229,000.00 last year in ten month due to the driver trying to transport a bridge so the truck was down 2 months. Me and my wife have 3 D units and one CR unit and a C unit with a lift gate. The C units gross more money each month than our D's. But I must tell the whole story too, none of our D's have lift gates on them.

Glen and Jancie Rice had the right ideal with the CR unit. They built a truck that cost over $270,000.00 and I don't hear anyone taking shots at them. I think all the shot's at Phil is because some folks may not like the man because of his long post's and the way he acts towards folks, I don't know. I was told by 3 different teams that I have met that they tried to talk to Phil and he just walked away from them and they thought he thought he was to good to speak to them. I ask them was he on a load and they said yes. My thought was maybe he was in a hurry I don't know.

On that note, Phil has tried to post things to help people in this business. He is not perfect and we all should give the guy some slack.
Phil I'm glad your doing well in this business and good luck in the coming years. Phil I think some of the people get upset about the way you come at the people who have been very successful in this business like DaveKC and RichM and so on. I just think you may have step on some people toes that have been very successful in this business. I just think we all need to get along and try to help one another.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
13 years as an O/O in Expediting.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
The truck that Nicole and I run with is also a bit of display unit for the dealership in that it is a working unit that demonstrates what we are capable of putting together on that side of the operation.

It is in no way meant as a guideline for those seeking a new unit since the old man realizes very few will want to invest that much, have that level of customization and that others will have their own specific requirements.

It is most definitely not helpful for the average truck buyer to be given reams of information about an expensive custom rig. It is; however, helpful for them to view such a unit as a tangible demonstration of the capabilities and expertise of the organization they are considering for their own truck build.

Not to discredit Phil... but with our truck build there was no first time failure that is hidden behind the building or broken up and sold as components. It was done right the first time. They know what they are doing... newbies and those who know little about trucks would be wise to depend on the expertise of those with a good reputation.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
If you want a truck built, find Dan Shultz he was the best at building trucks.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yep....we bought our first FL70 from him in Ohio. He could put some trucks together back in the day. It was still weird having a Freightliner of Knoxville in Ohio.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I found Dan Schulz. He is the Manager of Armstong Truck and Trailer Repair in Akron, Ohio. Their number is 330-798-1250 I talked to Dan and this place works on all kinds of trucks and is a Carrier dealer. If you want a truck built he is the man that started building all the truck for Roberts Express in the 80's and 90's. Dan is the Man. When he left Freightliner of Knoxville they was never the same with out him.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
Iam concidering buying a nice staight truck.. Iam not a millionaire though.. What kind of average straight truck specs. should I be looking for when I goto the dealership??? I want a nice sleeper. No coffins..lol..I dont really want to put my house on the line for it though.. I have decent credit. Havent heard a whole lot about different models of trucks..The dealers I have talked to all seem to push the Hino..Havent heard all that much good word about them..Seems like they have a good warranty but noone knows how to work on them quite yet??? As a rookie, Iam thinking about buying used.. Any suggestions for a nice class 8?? Would like to hear about different engines as I have heard that some CAT motors are not rebuildable?? Anyone have some suggestions on the positive note???? Looney:)

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I think Glen and Janice's truck was a lot nicer. The cab, sleeper and box just blended together with style. It truly looked like a quarter of a million dollar truck. Not saying Ateams truck has bad specs, it just looks like an overly expensive 3 piece bolt together. One could do better, and I do mean a lot better value wise with a unit built by Jeff Jones at Stoops Freightliner, and the truck will look great and work just as well too. Mudflap

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I was told by 3 different teams that I have met that
>they tried to talk to Phil and he just walked away from them
>and they thought he thought he was to good to speak to them.
>I ask them was he on a load and they said yes. My thought
>was maybe he was in a hurry I don't know.

If you see these teams again, please extend our apologies. Like many expediters, we get approached almost every day, and sometimes several times a day, by people who want to know about expediting and expediting trucks. Diane and I have never once knowlingly walked away from any team or solo expediter that wanted to talk to us, without trying to explain why first.

As you pointed out, Bruno, there are circumstances in which a team may need to rush off when they would rather chat. I recall one from not too long ago.

We were under load, a load that we were not at liberty to discuss and one that our carrier did not want the truck stopping at all, to the extent that was possible. At a fuel stop, a woman in FedEx uniform approached Diane and asked, "Is that the truck I have been hearing so much about?" We were naturally curious to know what she had been hearing but the load took priority. With regrets, Diane closed off the conversation as politely as she could as I pulled the truck forward from the pumps. She walked to the truck and we were gone.

Another time at Bordentown, a team approached. We were just off a long run and needed sleep. I said, "I'm sorry but we're just off a long run and need to sleep now." The team offered no reaponse. I the got in the truck, buttoned it up and went to sleep.

I can see where another expediter might be put off by that, but it is wrong of the other expediter to expect us to to give up important sleep time, and thus important future run time, for the sake of conversing with them. When we woke, they were gone. Had they still been there, we would have happily gone inside for coffee and a chat.

If that is being too good to talk to someone, then so be it. But the truth is, Diane and I have never knowlingly walked away from anyone who approached us to chat, without at least trying to explain why we had to rush off or cut the conversation short.

As often as not, if other expediters are present, especially fellow FedEx'ers, we will approach them, at least to say hi and at the very least to offer a friendly wave.

Now that you mention it, Bruno, I think all expediters could do each other a great service by first asking if they have time to talk before starting an extended conversation.

Something like, "Hello, my name is ______. This is my husband ______. We are from _______ and run with _________. Do you have a moment to chat?"

That would be far more pleasant, and in most cases more effective, than approaching as a perfect stranger and opening with, "HOW MUCH DOES THAT TRUCK COST?" OR "HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU MAKE?"

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
THank YOu very much. I cannot understand why some folks want to be so vindictive toward A Team ( and others). If you do not agree with, or even dislike the man, nothing obligates someone to make a post like some of these. Just go away and post something else, somewhere else. The personal stuff should be yanked. If A Team wants to write a novel each time he posts, so be it.

Now back to the subject: I find it awfully amusing that some (it seems the FECC ones in particular) are on such a different wavelength. No newbie in his right mind thinks a C unit is a big bore Class 8 with a house bigger than his box, and every single comfort from home built in! To me, C units are small trucks under 26 GVW and D units can plate at least 11-12,000 pounds.:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Jeff makes a beautiful truck however I'm not sure how much less expensive it would be comparably equipped. The 100" sleeper model without toilet/shower is about $185k so a 130" sleeper w/ toilet shower is likely quite a bit more. You also have a Freightliner Columbia not a Volvo. I like the SST trucks a lot and would certainly be happy with one however I don't think the difference is as great as you believe, especially when comparing chassis choices.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
$185,000 for a Columbia is pretty questionable. I wonder what one is worth after a couple years of running?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Do you fellas read the Truck Paper? There you will find a used Volvo VNL chassis does not fetch much more than a comparable FL Columbia. Mudflap