Box for straight truck

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am tired of problems with the small door opening on my box my box is 24' x102 x109. Howeverthe door opening is 92" wide and 101" tall and inside width is 96". Iwould really like atleast A 98" wide inside with A door opening of atlest 96"and door hidth of atleast 105". Anyone know of a good place to find a good used box and how to get rid of my old one? does anyone do trade ins?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Try Truckpaper. There is a place in Sanford, FL that advertises on there. DeBary truck sales.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Hoffman Trailer Co Inc
(502) 634-1575
1368 S 11th St, Louisville, KY 40210

They take trades and usually have a good selection, Might be closer than FL,

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Right now you can get a good deal from most box manufacturer's. The larger the better. What I would do is get the box and a new lift gate with an extended bed and finance it as a package. It will make more work available to you and a lot less headaches.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am tired of problems with the small door opening on my box my box is 24' x102 x109. Howeverthe door opening is 92" wide and 101" tall and inside width is 96". Iwould really like atleast A 98" wide inside with A door opening of atlest 96"and door hidth of atleast 105". Anyone know of a good place to find a good used box and how to get rid of my old one? does anyone do trade ins?

Here ya go, these guys are out of St. Louis... Scroll Down to the bottom of their page for the used boxes...

Carrier Truck Sales, LLC  Used Truck Dealer St. Louis, MO

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am tired of problems with the small door opening on my box my box is 24' x102 x109. Howeverthe door opening is 92" wide and 101" tall and inside width is 96". Iwould really like atleast A 98" wide inside with A door opening of atlest 96"and door hidth of atleast 105".

With those dims, it sounds like you have a roll-up door, am I right?

If so, you might want to talk to a trailer shop to see if they can redo the back of your box to put swing doors on. I don't know what the cost would be but it may be worth checking out.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With those dims, it sounds like you have a roll-up door, am I right?

If so, you might want to talk to a trailer shop to see if they can redo the back of your box to put swing doors on. I don't know what the cost would be but it may be worth checking out.
It has swing doors.

guido4475

Not a Member
It sounds like swing doors mounted on a roll-up made rear frame.How good of condition is you're box in? Rivets loose and popping out? Are the walls bulging? Paint? Any shadows from previous carrier decals? Floor? have there been any previous repairs? (They usually go above the rear tires first, as the mfr's cut the cross member out from underneath for added tire clearance.)I guess what I'm getting at is, is the box worth modification? Is so, awesome.If not, large used boxes, with floors built to the right specs, are hard to come by.A lot of big dimension boxes will have a thinner floor in them, as they were originally set up for light duty hauling, not always, but a lot of times.Any way, If it is in good shape, go to a semi trailer shop and they can actually hack off the whole rear of the box, rear box framework included, and put a frame off of a semi trailer on there, with swing doors, so You're opening will be the same as you're inside dimension.I did that to my last straight.It was awesome.And well worth the money.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It sounds like swing doors mounted on a roll-up made rear frame.How good of condition is you're box in? Rivets loose and popping out? Are the walls bulging? Paint? Any shadows from previous carrier decals? Floor? have there been any previous repairs? (They usually go above the rear tires first, as the mfr's cut the cross member out from underneath for added tire clearance.)I guess what I'm getting at is, is the box worth modification? Is so, awesome.If not, large used boxes, with floors built to the right specs, are hard to come by.A lot of big dimension boxes will have a thinner floor in them, as they were originally set up for light duty hauling, not always, but a lot of times.Any way, If it is in good shape, go to a semi trailer shop and they can actually hack off the whole rear of the box, rear box framework included, and put a frame off of a semi trailer on there, with swing doors, so You're opening will be the same as you're inside dimension.I did that to my last straight.It was awesome.And well worth the money.
I think the box is in decent condition no loose pop rivets, no shadows of previous carriers
very minor scratches and a minor ding. the floor had some areas you could see light but I fixed that with 2 coats of spray-on bedliner its pretty tuff now can you give me an idea about what it cost to have that done?

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Id get on the Internet and find some truck shops near you that do Bodies and get quotes, Having the rear of the box, doors, frame removed isnt really that hard its all Bucked and Riveted with usually some corners welds, If its a good box and structurally sound, A new box is gonna be 5000/10000 bucks....Morgan, Supreme, and other name brand builders modify and build/customize it how you want it....I used to work for Trailmobile/Fruehauf back in the day building Reefers and Vans.

Im sure there are Truck Body companys around your area, than can make it how you want it, you might look around some of the truck/trailer junk yards and find a Semi trailer frame, doors, Icc all together you could buy and have refurbished and mounted, new Door rubber, etc...

Your going to want to measure your box, and frame etc to be sure you can mount a larger door, but typically we used to do that kind of thing often, its only metal and a good box builder can customize it...we used to make custom doors from Blanks, etc all the time...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Hoffman Body,Louisville, took a 26' box and cut it down to a 20' box for me a few years back. That operation was roughly $1000.
They removed the nose, 6' of each wall and put it back together.
They did such a nice job that not one person that I talked to ever mentioned the box had been modified.
The box was not mounted at the time.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have used these folks for several modifications and at one time bought several truck bodies from them. They do good work, I see no reason to replace an entire box.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The problem I'm seeing with modifying his current box is the 96" inside width. Is it an old refer body? It almost has to be if it's 102" outside and 96" inside. If I could come to a reasonable solution to the inside width, then..as mentioned...I would modify the doors as needed. The door modification will cost less than just the labor to swap out to a complete different box.

guido4475

Not a Member
The problem I'm seeing with modifying his current box is the 96" inside width. Is it an old refer body? It almost has to be if it's 102" outside and 96" inside. If I could come to a reasonable solution to the inside width, then..as mentioned...I would modify the doors as needed. The door modification will cost less than just the labor to swap out to a complete different box.

Rocketman, that is something I didn't realize.You're right.He can call Phil Robertson of Robertson truck sales in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, by the Flying Pilot on rt.36, just east of the Flying J.They usually have 50 boxes sitting on the ground at all times.Real good people, old school, and they do it right the first time.They do everything, from frame stretching to complete box painting.I've used them several times in the past, and have sent many there.No complaints.Phil is an awesome guy.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks I will check with all mentioned im also thinking if I can get A load to laredo I could probably get it done quite quickly at a good price I have always gotten faster and better work out of a mexican it seems the american work ethic has gone down hill they want big pay to do as little as possible. When I worked with mexicans theyu prided themselves in trying to beet their daily record of amount of work done in a day

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Thanks I will check with all mentioned im also thinking if I can get A load to laredo I could probably get it done quite quickly at a good price I have always gotten faster and better work out of a mexican it seems the american work ethic has gone down hill they want big pay to do as little as possible. When I worked with mexicans theyu prided themselves in trying to beet their daily record of amount of work done in a day

Hey Billy. I agree with the idea of checking into a modification if at all possible. Might just need some new doors at the end. But it's hard to know about the inside width without seeing it. Originally built to be a reefer? Maybe. Must be some thick FRP body. Or did someone add 3/4' plywood to the inside of an aluminum box, right on top of the slats? What make is it?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Maybe. Must be some thick FRP body. Or did someone add 3/4' plywood to the inside of an aluminum box, right on top of the slats? What make is it?
Thats what Im thinking. Somebody built the walls out too thick. He may be able to strip the inside and go back with just etrack flat against the structure. Something doesnt seem right. I believe a reefer body would actually be even narrower on the inside.

One thing for sure, that tall body is nice to have and probably hard to find used. A modification is best if you can get the inside width you need (97"-98" is best). Gettin the door frame and doors right is just a matter of money.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think 102 is max on a Truck. 8 feet or 96" accross the floor 2" each wall and 3/4 inch of scuff board at the base of each wall on the inside 96 + 4 + 1.5= 101.5 measures 102 nominal.
A 24 foot x 102 box you should fit 14 skids without a pallet jack. I ran a 24 x 102 as a rental doing speccom and I loaded 13 skids with no problem one skid spot was mine and I used it for a pallet jack, pads, straps, packing materials, two wheel cart and rigging tools and equipment and my personal junk. Take a closer look at the inside of your box its possable somone built out the walls with too much plywood. you only need 5/8" thick Plywood floor to ceiling and 12 guage 16" steel scuff plate allong the floor sides and front to keep the wood from getting hacked up. On the cheap, 3/4" plywood, and 12 guage steel scuff plate 16 inches high sides and front.
Good Luck
Bob Wolf

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Ellenbuam truck near flint michigan has truck boxes...all types..was told if they didnt have they could get it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums