Box for straight truck

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Billy. I agree with the idea of checking into a modification if at all possible. Might just need some new doors at the end. But it's hard to know about the inside width without seeing it. Originally built to be a reefer? Maybe. Must be some thick FRP body. Or did someone add 3/4' plywood to the inside of an aluminum box, right on top of the slats? What make is it?

Jeff The box is made by supreme its alum I talked to them and gave them the serial # and they confirmed that the box was made as a dry box 102 X 24 BUT I measured the outside at 101 plywood is 5/8 with e-track mounted to the plywood not recessed. im wondering if they have more plywood behind the c-channel. supreme said they could modify the opening but it would take about a month to do.because they would need to modify the structural support so it doesnt crack over time going down the road. they gave me a price on a new 24 X 102 X 110 frp with inside width of 101 for $15,000. installed. I dont think the work would warrant paying that for the box. I wil check when I get home to see if someone else could do it faster.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
It would be fairly quick and easy to recess the etrack. Changing from 5/8 to 1/2 plywood wouldnt gain enough for the trouble. I doubt there is anything behind the 5/8. Recessing the Etrack would get you to 97". Sounds like the best your gonna get.

You just need to talk to some trailer shops. Somebody will be happy to do it in a timely manner. I had a rollup door converted to swing doors a couple years ago. I think the cost was in the $2,000 range. Yours may be in the $3,000 range. You'll be doing a bit more.

I remember a Morgan Body service center in the Greensboro, NC area that had good labor rates...$45/hr best I remember.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will be goin home in A couple of weeks with A pocket full of $$$ I will talk to the local trailer shops to see wht they can do.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well the 2 major trailer repair places here in norfolk say if you try to change the dimensions of the box opening that it will lose it's stability. There is a box in baltimore 24 X 102 X 109 swing doors inside width is 99 3/4 door width is 98 door hight is only 100" it also has a air roller system you turn a lever rollers come up turn it back they go back down. i'm wondering if this could be a plus or a headache and if you can still run a forklift in the box with rollers in the down position.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Take a closer look at the inside of your box its possable somone built out the walls with too much plywood. you only need 5/8" thick Plywood floor to ceiling and 12 guage 16" steel scuff plate allong the floor sides and front to keep the wood from getting hacked up. On the cheap, 3/4" plywood, and 12 guage steel scuff plate 16 inches high sides and front.
Good Luck
Bob Wolf

Just curios..
Why such heavy plywood inside the freight box when something like 3/16" or 1/4" Lauan sheets will perform the same funtion at a much cheaper cost and a fraction of the weight.. Is there a need for such heavy wood inside the box?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Just curios..
Why such heavy plywood inside the freight box when something like 3/16" or 1/4" Lauan sheets will perform the same funtion at a much cheaper cost and a fraction of the weight.. Is there a need for such heavy wood inside the box?
You need something pretty strong for at least the first foot up from the floor. My straight truck had 1/4" plywood and it was a magnet to the lift drivers. They wouldnt stop until they had the corner of a pallet shoved through the plywood...then they were hunting for the support ribs. I would go with 1/2". Thats strong enough and its really close to the same thickness as the etrack.

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
You need something pretty strong for at least the first foot up from the floor. My straight truck had 1/4" plywood and it was a magnet to the lift drivers. They wouldnt stop until they had the corner of a pallet shoved through the plywood...then they were hunting for the support ribs. I would go with 1/2". Thats strong enough and its really close to the same thickness as the etrack.

Im running the lauan type sheets in my box. Now keep in mind its a alumni/bunk box so Im sure everything was done on the cheap or as close as possible but it has served me well (so far).1 small hole up high where the operator tryed stacking pallets. E-trac where the walls met the floor and it serves preety good as a skid plate along the bottom. The sheets dont allways lay flat so I do have to keep after them, keeping the joints smooth and flush. Lucky so far,, maybe,, but I do like the idea of very little weight hanging on the walls. Large sheets of plywood has got to add up in a hurry and adding to fuel consumption. For a few $ or so I could change out a sheet in no time if needed as long as no damage to the walls..

I do agree the heavy plywood will take a harder hit but when that does happen it also means larger peices of wood moving and may cause more damage??

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Im running the lauan type sheets in my box. Now keep in mind its a alumni/bunk box so Im sure everything was done on the cheap or as close as possible but it has served me well (so far).1 small hole up high where the operator tryed stacking pallets. E-trac where the walls met the floor and it serves preety good as a skid plate along the bottom. The sheets dont allways lay flat so I do have to keep after them, keeping the joints smooth and flush. Lucky so far,, maybe,, but I do like the idea of very little weight hanging on the walls. Large sheets of plywood has got to add up in a hurry and adding to fuel consumption. For a few $ or so I could change out a sheet in no time if needed as long as no damage to the walls..

I do agree the heavy plywood will take a harder hit but when that does happen it also means larger peices of wood moving and may cause more damage??
I would have no problem with lighter material after the first foot or so. I think you'll see some damage on the lower portions. My etrack was against the floor also (they even ripped the etrack loose once). What I would probably do is have etrack on the floor, another row at about 36" with 1/2" plywood between those etrack strips, then 1/4" would be fine from there, up.

I think you'll see some damage with the luan...especially near the floor. You have some good points....until that pallet gets through and rips a vertical support out. Speaking from experience, my next straight truck (if there was the be one) will have 1/2" plywood near the floor.