Canada Border Crossing Rant

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
We picked up a load in TN and crossed the border at I-29 below Winnipeg on a run to an end of the world hamlet 200 miles above Edmonton. While going thru Canadian customs I was asked the standard drugs and firearms question and replied with the standard "NO". She then asked me what kind of firearms I had at home. I replied a shotgun and two pistols. She replied "OH?" then had me go into the customs office who had me and sweetie walk across the street to Immigration. They asked many criminal type questions and then ran our history thru their system. After stamping our passports we were sent back to the customs office with some document. The customs office took the doc. and sent us on our way. I can only imagine their reaction if I had told them I had some heavy duty weapons at home. After leaving the border we learned to start looking for diesel when the gauge got down to 1/2 full as it was hard to find late at night. It was also north of $5 per gallon Finally on the return trip we stopped at a Motel 6 in Edmonton for a room and were quoted a price just over $100. Said no thanks and stopped at some ma and pa place from the 50s where the room was half again as big as the bed and it was uphill from the center of the room to the door. They asked $98 for this mess. We passed and decided to take turns driving and sleeping until we got back to the US. This resulted in the old van running for a solid 90 hours. Oh yeah, there was continuous snow both ways on the Trans Canada route. My nerves were shot and we decided this was our last trip to Canada until Spring.

On another note, I have concluded that the US Customs think America is a giant prison, Americans are all prisoners and they are the prison guards. This has to be what they are trained to portray by that agency as this is their common attitude. They are continually coming across as hostile and rude gestapo jerks and I end up P/O'd about their attitude which I relieve by talking or writing about it so here it is. But bottom line is I still enjoy expediting. Just not winters in Canada or US Customs.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was once asked what firearms I owned by a Canadian customs person. I was shocked. I handled it badly. I said I owned firearms but did not say what I had. IF I am ever asked that again they will get a "NUNJA"

Canadian customs has no legitimate reason to ask what I may or may not own at my home in the United States. What I legally do in my home in the United States has no bearing on my business in Canada.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Canada has NO BUSINESS asking what firearms you have at your home. Boo on Canada Customs! I would decline to share that information. It may cost you access to Canada - but oh well. :eek:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does anyone know if Canada has the right to ask what weapons you have at home, FYI, its Canada Not the U.S... Its their country, not ours

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How does anyone know if Canada has the right to ask what weapons you have at home, FYI, its Canada Not the U.S... Its their country, not ours

And my guns are in MY home in MY country, NOT on my truck. Canada is becoming more and more hostile. We see here on the border all the time. Our own government does nothing to protect us. Our OWN government has no business asking me that question, let alone the government of another country.

moose

Veteran Expediter
DanCorn.
traveling into and across Canada can be a hassle, if a driver is not doing so often .
same go's to winter driving up north.
if this is a once or twice a year kind of a run you'd be better of rejecting those kind of loads.
BUT, there's a lot of money to be made by running there.
especially at winter time.
IF the carrier can keep you heading that way, you'd be the king.

to the point's.
- Custom border crossing, practice make time saving, over time you learn to answer .
- motels, like in the US, Hotels.com or CLC card, makes it affordable.
- fueling, depends on your fuel card provider, look on the card website for participating networks, and plan ahead. it's EZ.
just consider the extra costs associated with running up north and west, when accepting a load.
good post.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be very interesting to pose that question to a Canadian Customs officer. I would not expect a honest answer. I doubt if they would ever implicate their government in anything bad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be very interesting to pose that question to a Canadian Customs officer. I would not expect a honest answer. I doubt if they would ever implicate their government in anything bad.

Bad?....Thing is....it is their country and if you want in..answer the question or not go....simple..they can ask any question they want...
Canada is anti gun....MAYBE they just want to get a handle of the type of person ya are...?

It is like the US customs asking..where did you go and what did you do when you left the country? what concern of it is theirs?...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bad?....Thing is....it is their country and if you want in..answer the question or not go....simple..they can ask any question they want...
Canada is anti gun....MAYBE they just want to get a handle of the type of person ya are...?

It is like the US customs asking..where did you go and what did you do when you left the country? what concern of it is theirs?...

Firearms ownership is not a "type of person". I am not bringing any in. Those at home are not a threat to them, unless they attack us.

They also like to stop U.S. fishermen and hunters in U.S. waters, illegally. The "claim" that they are over the border. They have boarded a couple of friends of mine in U.S. waters. They have crossed the border with armed cutters more than once. That is an invasion in my book.

What is their problem up there?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I just tell them no. OVM, what is in my home is my home and falls under US laws. I don't have to account for that stuff for any reason.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just tell them no. OVM, what is in my home is my home and falls under US laws. I don't have to account for that stuff for any reason.

No you don't.... then the asking country can or has the option to deny entry...it is their right....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Firearms ownership is not a "type of person". I am not bringing any in. Those at home are not a threat to them, unless they attack us.

They also like to stop U.S. fishermen and hunters in U.S. waters, illegally. The "claim" that they are over the border. They have boarded a couple of friends of mine in U.S. waters. They have crossed the border with armed cutters more than once. That is an invasion in my book.

What is their problem up there?

I imagine there is Canadian fishermen with like stories Joe...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I imagine there is Canadian fishermen with like stories Joe...

I don't know if Canadian Coast Guard Cutters are stopping and boarding Canadian boats in U.S. waters or not. Ether way, Canadian cutters have no authority in U.S. waters and no valid reason to be there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know if Canadian Coast Guard Cutters are stopping and boarding Canadian boats in U.S. waters or not. Ether way, Canadian cutters have no authority in U.S. waters and no valid reason to be there.

and I imagine there are times US CG have crossed the line as well....just saying...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
and I imagine there are times US CG have crossed the line as well....just saying...

You would have to come here and see what I am talking about. One time they were over a mile inside U.S. waters. That is no accident. I always know exactly where I am in relation to that border and my equipment is no where as good as what they have. It is deliberate.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Canadian Coast Guard Cutters .

nord-nord-inuit4-L-GDwBid.jpeg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And that's the right tact to take, rather than whine on here lol.

If people don't post in here and make others aware that this is taking place how are others to know? :confused: Have you ever been asked what you own in your home in Canada by U.S. Customs?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If people don't post in here and make others aware that this is taking place how are others to know? :confused: Have you ever been asked what you own in your home in Canada by U.S. Customs?

Nope but I've been stopped many times by US Customs after paying the toll at the Bluewater Bridge while LEAVING the US. Seems nonsensical but not a big deal either.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nope but I've been stopped many times by US Customs after paying the toll at the Bluewater Bridge while LEAVING the US. Seems nonsensical but not a big deal either.

I am more than happy to answer the "normal" questions and even submit to what ever searches they want, within reason.

That same customs man who asked my how many guns I had in my house put is nose on mine, literally, and "hissed" that when he finds the gun on my truck he was going to put me in jail. He "TOUCHED ME"!! I had no guns on my truck. I had been polite and answered every question asked and did not even attempt to stop him from looking in my truck. He was out of line. I SHOULD have gotten his name and badge number and reported him. Not that it would have done any good.