Canada border crap

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RichM's responce was the best one. The way I handle crossing, either side, is to answer all questions in a polite, professional manner and then go about my business. For me it's like the Vegas slogan, what happens at Customs stays at Customs. It's not worth getting worked up over. It was just a question Layoutshooter. I think your making way too big a deal out of it.

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
Guys/Gals,

I grew up in Northern Michigan away from the boarder (Traverse City area). I have enjoyed a trip or two into Canada mostly crossing at the Soo. I've had little or no problems.

I now own a cabin on an island which overlooks the river between Sault Ste. Marie Michigan and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I have had no problems boating in the river. Never even been approached by anyone from the US or Canada even if I get close to Canada's shore.

I do have to say, that if you have an NRA sticker on your Truck, the canadians will search you! Period. I don't agree with Canada's gun laws, but, I don't live in Canada so when I do go there, I respect their laws. Just as I expect the Canadians that come here will do.

Anyway, Stay safe!

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
It was our {US} goverment that says no one can be near the bridge.Homeland Security will not even allow you to pull your truck over under the bridge.As for the gun issue I was asked once and I told him I had 3 guns. He ask what kind I told him. He ask which did I like I told him.He said the union was fighting with the goverment to get border agent issued guns.He laughed his but off when I told him I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a 9mm.But I didnt think a shotgun would work well in his booth.

Hopefully our next adminestration will have a northern leader.Southern polititions only want to be freinds with Mexico and will choose US Mexican economic issues over US Canadian economic issues every time.

Tony

Expert Expediter
Got a NRA life member sticker in plain view. Never been searched and asked only once. I do not agree with many gov. policies (U.S. or any others). The Can. people have been kinder to me than many of my own fellow subjects. I would rather deal with Can. customs agents than U.S. customs. Please remember that gov. usually do not represent the will of the majority of people.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
never had a prob going into canada on the bridge in my car in my racing days. u.s. customs a little tuffer but that was the 80's and early 90's. had a v dub camper engine give up on me near lomdon ont. and spent the night. got a greyhound to the det airport the next day with a bunch of brit kids. the u.s. customs guys had B-I-G chrome plated colt commanders on the hip. the brit kids went wide eyed. we managed to joke a little and got thru okay. they got hassled becuz of their anti gun comments.

listen don't make canada mad, we are buying a lot of oil from them right now. hows the price of fuel by you?

Jack Berry:7 :7

trhoades

Expert Expediter
I don't get the whole point? Maybe I'm slow, but it seems to me that when asked if you have guns in your home, you just say "No" and carry on with your load. Whether you do or not they can't exactly prove it. I mean I'm sure they know how difficult it is to get into the US side so I highly doubt they will go check. Granted, if you would like to stand up for your rights and say "You don't have the right to ask me such a question", then by all means have at it. But it seems like a rough ride ahead if you do. And getting back into our own beloved United States isn't exactly a 5 minute ordeal. I can honestly say I've had more issues getting back into the US, then I've had with with the canadian customs.

DanJ

Seasoned Expediter
I find the opposite. The US is almost always more friendly to enter than Canada. Maybe each side picks on their own more LOL.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well our last straw with the rudeness of the Canadian border crossing agent was when we pulled up to the booth and seeing as how they say both drivers have to be up front to answer questions. Well when they ask my hubby if I am a h**ker that he is taking over to some n*dy bar then I take offense. There was absolutely no call for a comment like that. That was the last time we went to Canada. As far as asking you if you have guns in your home that is none of their business plain and simple. And I'm sorry, but I probably would have told them that in a polite way of course.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Well our last straw with the rudeness of the Canadian border
>crossing agent was when we pulled up to the booth and seeing
>as how they say both drivers have to be up front to answer
>questions. Well when they ask my hubby if I am a h**ker that
>he is taking over to some n*dy bar then I take offense.
>There was absolutely no call for a comment like that. That
>was the last time we went to Canada. As far as asking you if
>you have guns in your home that is none of their business
>plain and simple. And I'm sorry, but I probably would have
>told them that in a polite way of course.

When and where did this occur?
That is an outrage!
That is akin to sexual assault and should not be tolerated.
No Customs officer has the right to ask questions of that nature.
You should file a complaint against the officer.
The Canadian Charter of Rights distinctly forbids conduct of that nature.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
It was a good 3 yrs or more ago at Windsor and that is why we refuse to go there anymore. I can understand some of the crap with the insections and all, but that was the final straw in our book.We turned right around and told our company they could find another driver to transfer it because we weren't even going to finish that load after that. It was all I could do just to keep my hubby from getting arrested!

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>It was a good 3 yrs or more ago at Windsor and that is why
>we refuse to go there anymore. I can understand some of the
>crap with the insections and all, but that was the final
>straw in our book.We turned right around and told our
>company they could find another driver to transfer it
>because we weren't even going to finish that load after
>that. It was all I could do just to keep my hubby from
>getting arrested!

I'm not going to appologise because that is insufficient; but that guard does not represent the majority. It's too late now; but you should have filed a complaint with Customs. You could've called the police and filed a sexual harrassment complaint.
Issues of that sort are looked upon with grave seriousness in this country.

For the benefit of other readers; if anyone is dealt with in a harrassing or other non-professional manner; make note of the badge number and file a complaint. There is always a "DUTY SUPERVISOR" on duty. There is a Port Collector who is the chief person at the port level. There is a regional and then national level.
The CBSA personnel do have a job to do and most are completely professional. Like in any field there will always be a few "bad apples".

From the CBSA website

The CBSA's commitment to fairness is based on six pillars: respect and courtesy, fair application of the law, privacy and confidentiality, bilingual service, accurate information about entitlements and obligations, and review of our actions or decisions.

If you do not receive this; you are entitled to make a complaint.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
>I know I enter a different country when I enter Canada. I
>live on the border, south of Detroit. I will ALWAYS answer
>questions that pertain to my truck and load. NO ONE in
>Canada, or the U.S. for that matter, has the right to ask me
>what I do or do not own in my home.

But herein lies the problem...you never know if they have acsess to information as to whether you have legally bought and liscensed firearms. If you answer "no" and they can see in front of them that you have...and you lied...to them, what says you wont lie about anything? I'm not saying you would...but you see where I'm coming from?

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
In response to message #9

>I know I enter a different country when I enter Canada. I
>live on the border, south of Detroit. I will ALWAYS answer
>questions that pertain to my truck and load. NO ONE in
>Canada, or the U.S. for that matter, has the right to ask me
>what I do or do not own in my home.

But herein lies the problem...you never know if they have acsess to information as to whether you have legally bought and liscensed firearms. If you answer "no" and they can see in front of them that you have...and you lied...to them, what says you wont lie about anything? I'm not saying you would...but you see where I'm coming from?

I for one enjoy going into Canada...the only thing I have a prob with is LIVINGSTON...they always seem to mess up my papers. But other than that I love going up there. my first trip into Canada happened to be a weekend layover near Niagra Falls. GORGREOUS! Its a hell of alot more pleasant to drive thru than Detroit.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"the only thing I have a prob with is LIVINGSTON...they always seem to mess up my papers."

Ain't that the truth! I have had more problems with livingston than any other broker except for UPS Supply Chain - they lose my paper work and sometimes even whole shippments for me.

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
I make it a point never to go into Canada. I have a problem with any country that will not let law abiding citizens with no criminal record carry a firearm to protect themselves. Criminals obviously never follow the laws and always seem to find illegal guns to commit crimes with. Iam not sure if Canada has a concealed weapons shall issue law for their law abiding citizens, but I do know that they do not recognize the USA's laws on concealed carry. I know that criminals in the USA probally think twice about robbing someone that "might" have a gun to shoot back with. I also think that when the war on terrorism overwhelms the nation one day I will be very happy to know that 90% of my fellow americans have guns and if needed can protect their familys and the nation if necessary. God bless the USA.:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine in SD carrys a 357 Magnum in the front seat with him and it scares the bee geeves out of me...I for one like to know some idiot ain't gonna loose it at a shopping mall when he or she over spends or in the case of road rage an ole fashion western shootout starts up.
I guess you'll never get to see England either even the bobbies(cops) don't wear guns there. Personally I think the border guards between the US and Canada shouldn't wear them. I seen a DHS officer at Port Huron pulll his weapon on a driver cause he didn't stop right away when he got out of his truck!!What was he going to do? shoot him?? an unarmed person???
I am NOT for banning handguns but more prudent licensing of them.

I think one of the reasons you have this right to bare arms comes from before the revolution when Britain banned ordinary citizens from owning a firarm cause they were scared of a revoluton and your great forefathers injected the right to bare arms in the constitution. I maybe wrong but makes sense to me.

In Canada the right to bare arms means to roll up your sleeves! LOL

My friend I enter your country and respect your laws when I know that joe blow might have a gun and it don't bother me, don't be afraid to enter ours or limit your income just because you have to leave your gun behind. You can be sure if you back up to the wrong dock the reciever won't shoot you.:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM said “I guess you'll never get to see England either even the bobbies(cops) don't wear guns there.â€

Well they do have guns and have used them. England has been silent on their crime problems, especially the gun crimes that seem to be excluded from the press. The biggest thing that they have been dealing with is the Muslim’s violence, and right behind that is the assaults and bodily harm.

OVM said “Personally I think the border guards between the US and Canada shouldn't wear them. I seen a DHS officer at Port Huron pulll his weapon on a driver cause he didn't stop right away when he got out of his truck!!What was he going to do? shoot him?? an unarmed person???â€

When I worked moving forfeited vehicles, I’ve seen them shoot a person who was trying to drive through the border, hitting one BPA and busting the gates. It is their job to stop them by any means but unfortunately this does not happen in the south like it does on the border in Michigan.

OVM said “I am NOT for banning handguns but more prudent licensing of them.â€

I agree, but I also think that we need serious reform with the criminal justice system and stigmatize the crime more.

OVM said “I think one of the reasons you have this right to bare arms comes from before the revolution when Britain banned ordinary citizens from owning a firarm cause they were scared of a revoluton and your great forefathers injected the right to bare arms in the constitution. I maybe wrong but makes sense to me.â€

You are partially correct but see the people who wrote the constitution looked at a lot of different countries and different situations to come up with good solutions. There were more than just people from England here and many knew that an armed citizenry is a free and safe citizenry from experiences in France and Prussia. If you doubt what I am saying, look at Russia or Germany or France and see what their history has been disarming the citizens and than oppressing them. The other issue at the time was the lack of a formal army that could be counted on 100%. There were doubts with the failure of Washington and the complaints that hit the continental congress during the war and they felt that having a militia that was made up of citizens in addition to a regular army was the best solution for the country.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM said “Personally I think the border guards between the US and Canada shouldn't wear them. I seen a DHS officer at Port Huron pulll his weapon on a driver cause he didn't stop right away when he got out of his truck!!What was he going to do? shoot him?? an unarmed person???â€

Gregg said: When I worked moving forfeited vehicles, I’ve seen them shoot a person who was trying to drive through the border, hitting one BPA and busting the gates. It is their job to stop them by any means but unfortunately this does not happen in the south like it does on the border in Michigan.

Why doesn't the south shoot?? The thought of shooting a half asleep truck driver or one that couldn't hear over the roar of engines vs shooting an illegal running the border is absurd.

Yes of course England cops have guns..in London the beat cop does not however. Theory being if he's walking the beat and gets jumped by a gang the gang won't get ahold of the gun and shoot the bobbie and its one more gun on the streets.

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
ONTARIOVANMAN- Wouldn't worry about someone getting mad about overspending and shooting up the joint..lol. Trust me, the "shall issue" states make it nearly impossible to get a license to carry a gun. Not every "Joe" can just go get one. You have to be a role model citizen just about. They do a very extensive background check on you when you apply which takes several months depending on what state you live in. They check for psyciatric issues, right down to ##### near parking tickets.. I could not say for sure that someone might go off the wagon and shoot the joint up, but chances are that before the police could get there to rescue you, another citizen with a carry permit would probally take care of the problem. Although I couldnt guarantee it, because the license is to protect only you and your family from someone who is going to kill you right there and then. If you have a license to carry and you get involved in someone elses business, you could definitely face alot more jail time than if someone was coming after you with a knife..It doesn't really matter though, if you shoot someone, even in self defense you going to be arrested and detained untill everything gets sorted out. Hopefully you will have alot of witnesses to verify your story or a really good lawyer...Alrigh Iam sure you have probally heard enough. Guess Iam just a Pro-gun guy..lol. By the way Iam guessing that if the bobby had a gun, the gangbangers would have thaught twice about jumping him..:D