Border ban angers Mexico truckers....

C

CaptainCarl

Israel Camarillo, quoted in the article below, about how many hours he has been driving says it all as to why the Mexico border should not be opened to Mexican trucking companies.
BBC NEWS | Americas | Border ban angers Mexico truckers Article link

Border ban angers Mexico truckers

As leaders from the US, Canada and Mexico gather for a summit, the BBC's Stephen Gibbs travels to Nuevo Laredo to meet Mexican truck drivers at the heart of a cross-border dispute with their powerful neighbour to the north.

Israel Camarillo kisses the wooden crucifix hanging from his rear view mirror, crosses himself, and edges his 18-wheeler juggernaut onto Highway 85.

He has been driving 18 hours, without a significant break, from Mexico City.

The sun is rising over the parched scrubland in front of us. We are on the final stretch. Nuevo Laredo, the busiest land frontier in Latin America, is 200km away.

The road is nearly empty.

The few other trucks on the road are, like us, heading North, to the United States, and ultimately, American consumers.

Not long ago that market appeared insatiable. Now it seems on a crash diet.

And Israel knows it.

"I used to make this round trip eight times a month," he says.

"Now I am lucky if I go there and back twice."

The Mexican economy, the 12th largest in the world, is in the midst of what might be its worst recession since the 1930s. And it is almost entirely due to the collapse in US demand for its exports.

Some 80% of Mexican exports go to the US.

Sore point

Over the last 12 months, many US companies, which have assembly plants in Mexico, have drastically reduced, or even stopped, their production runs.

Nowhere is that more obvious than at the Laredo border crossing.
“ They are waiting for us like wolves hunting baby deer ”
Luis Moreno Sesma, Mexican Truck Owners' Association

Two years ago, a line of parked trucks stretching 14km was a regular sight at the approach to the frontier.

Last week, you could cross from one side to the other in less than 20 minutes.

Israel has to pull over before he reaches the border. US transport regulations prevent him from taking his cargo of Venetian blinds to its final destination in Los Angeles.

So another, specially licensed, Mexican company will collect his trailer and take it across the World Trade Bridge which separates the two countries.

It will then be handed over to an American haulage company for the final leg of the journey to California.

"It makes no sense at all," says Israel as, finally, he thinks about getting some sleep.

The issue of cross-border trucking remains a sore point between the governments of the US and Mexico.

According to the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta), Mexican trucks should be able to operate in the United States, as US trucks and Canadian trucks already do in Mexico.

But last March, the US Congress withdrew funding for an already delayed trial scheme to allow the trucks in.

Mexico retaliated by imposing tariffs on $2.4bn worth of American imports - from California grapes to Oregon French fries.

'Road to unemployment'

Those in favour of the ban, including the powerful US Teamsters labour union, say Mexico has failed to comply with basic safety standards regarding its trucks and drivers.

Those against the move, including the Mexican government and American trade groups, say the dispute is costing businesses hundreds of millions of dollars, and is based upon protectionism.

The dispute will likely be raised by President Calderon in his meetings with President Obama in Guadalajara.

But some believe it is a side issue to a far more urgent crisis.

"We don't want to work on the other side of the border anyway," says Luis Moreno Sesma, General Manager in Nuevo Laredo of Canacar, the Mexican truck owners' Association.

He says the US authorities appear biased against Mexican drivers.

"They are waiting for us like wolves hunting baby deer," he says.

Both governments, he says, should do more to help legitimate trade, and specifically reduce fuel costs of transport.

"Cargo has fallen by 50%. If the economy of the United States does not recover quickly the consequences for us will be disastrous. We are on the road to mass unemployment."

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Israel Camarillo, quoted in the article below, about how many hours he has been driving says it all as to why the Mexico border should not be opened to Mexican trucking companies.
BBC NEWS | Americas | Border ban angers Mexico truckers Article link

Border ban angers Mexico truckers

As leaders from the US, Canada and Mexico gather for a summit, the BBC's Stephen Gibbs travels to Nuevo Laredo to meet Mexican truck drivers at the heart of a cross-border dispute with their powerful neighbour to the north.

Israel Camarillo kisses the wooden crucifix hanging from his rear view mirror, crosses himself, and edges his 18-wheeler juggernaut onto Highway 85.

He has been driving 18 hours, without a significant break, from Mexico City.

The sun is rising over the parched scrubland in front of us. We are on the final stretch. Nuevo Laredo, the busiest land frontier in Latin America, is 200km away.

The road is nearly empty.

The few other trucks on the road are, like us, heading North, to the United States, and ultimately, American consumers.

Not long ago that market appeared insatiable. Now it seems on a crash diet.

And Israel knows it.

"I used to make this round trip eight times a month," he says.

"Now I am lucky if I go there and back twice."

The Mexican economy, the 12th largest in the world, is in the midst of what might be its worst recession since the 1930s. And it is almost entirely due to the collapse in US demand for its exports.

Some 80% of Mexican exports go to the US.

Sore point

Over the last 12 months, many US companies, which have assembly plants in Mexico, have drastically reduced, or even stopped, their production runs.

Nowhere is that more obvious than at the Laredo border crossing.
“ They are waiting for us like wolves hunting baby deer ”
Luis Moreno Sesma, Mexican Truck Owners' Association

Two years ago, a line of parked trucks stretching 14km was a regular sight at the approach to the frontier.

Last week, you could cross from one side to the other in less than 20 minutes.

Israel has to pull over before he reaches the border. US transport regulations prevent him from taking his cargo of Venetian blinds to its final destination in Los Angeles.

So another, specially licensed, Mexican company will collect his trailer and take it across the World Trade Bridge which separates the two countries.

It will then be handed over to an American haulage company for the final leg of the journey to California.

"It makes no sense at all," says Israel as, finally, he thinks about getting some sleep.

The issue of cross-border trucking remains a sore point between the governments of the US and Mexico.

According to the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta), Mexican trucks should be able to operate in the United States, as US trucks and Canadian trucks already do in Mexico.

But last March, the US Congress withdrew funding for an already delayed trial scheme to allow the trucks in.

Mexico retaliated by imposing tariffs on $2.4bn worth of American imports - from California grapes to Oregon French fries.

'Road to unemployment'

Those in favour of the ban, including the powerful US Teamsters labour union, say Mexico has failed to comply with basic safety standards regarding its trucks and drivers.

Those against the move, including the Mexican government and American trade groups, say the dispute is costing businesses hundreds of millions of dollars, and is based upon protectionism.

The dispute will likely be raised by President Calderon in his meetings with President Obama in Guadalajara.

But some believe it is a side issue to a far more urgent crisis.

"We don't want to work on the other side of the border anyway," says Luis Moreno Sesma, General Manager in Nuevo Laredo of Canacar, the Mexican truck owners' Association.

He says the US authorities appear biased against Mexican drivers.

"They are waiting for us like wolves hunting baby deer," he says.

Both governments, he says, should do more to help legitimate trade, and specifically reduce fuel costs of transport.

"Cargo has fallen by 50%. If the economy of the United States does not recover quickly the consequences for us will be disastrous. We are on the road to mass unemployment."

Maybe if the Illegals would Stay on their side of the Border Instead of Illegally Entering Our Country and Taking American Jobs Away, Then The US Could Start to Recover and Produce Products that Will Enable More Mexican Truck Drivers More Work Instead of Them Coming Over Here Traveling Our Highways with their Unsafe Crappy Trucks! But I'm Sure Obumma will Apologize to Mexico For their Inconvenience and Re-Start The Cross Border Program No Matter How Many American Jobs it Costs!! :mad:

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ya know.... im not much on politics and such..... all i know is
a lotof them mexicans do ... A LOT .. of work most of us wont do.... here in the states.
i have a friend in NY .. she has a small dairy farm.. maybe 100 cows maybe a lil more..
she had a extremly hard time... getting and keeping help.... they dont want to work..
she had gotten high school students.... and others.... they do it for so long and then quit..
she is easy to get along with.... just no one wants to put in the time and work on a dairy farm......... i know another dairy farm owner .. now his family has a huge operation 700 ish cows milks 24 hrs .. .. they cant keep help either...
soooooooooo they all hired mexicans..... cause they are happy to do the work.. no complaints.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
a lotof them mexicans do ... A LOT .. of work most of us wont do.... here in the states.
i have a friend in NY .. she has a small dairy farm.. maybe 100 cows maybe a lil more..
she had a extremly hard time... getting and keeping help.... they dont want to work..
she had gotten high school students.... and others.... they do it for so long and then quit..
she is easy to get along with.... just no one wants to put in the time and work on a dairy farm......... i know another dairy farm owner .. now his family has a huge operation 700 ish cows milks 24 hrs .. .. they cant keep help either...
soooooooooo they all hired mexicans..... cause they are happy to do the work.. no complaints.

Legal or illegal Mexicans?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Morningstar,
No offense but that "Jobs Americans won't do" is BS. These jobs that they do are jobs a lot of people would do if there was a way to get them to the work. In many cases these jobs are the jobs the employers don't want to pay or are abusive to the workers.

I know that some employers won't hire people in many areas unless they can't asked for health care or even want to be legal but work under the table. I know fast food is one place that I have been refused work because i am a "tweener". they don't hessitate to hire someone who has invaded the country but me, I am out of luck.

There are jobs that Americans do every day that foreigners, legal or ones who have invaded refuse to do, some of it is very hard work and some of it is very dangerous.

If your friend is depending on High school kids, that is part of the problem and it is far better to work with a family who wants to make a living as part of a farm. My relatives in PA do exactly that, they hired whole families where they give them a spot for their trailer rent free with the hook ups and all and it has worked for them with their farms. They refuse to hire people who pose a threat to the country or the farms.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg is about right...there is not a lot of dribble down money in farming or ranching to pay wages a person can live on, especially in the east.....That is why they prefer a trade-off in some ways....a place to park a trailer and have a hook-up as part of wages....and other little perks...little room and board included in wages...

with that said....most tender fruit farmers do have passenger vans that provide back and forth transportation, but most WASP Americans don't want to pick fruit....

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
18 hrs on duty and mexico wonders why american truckers are fighting allowing their drivers into the usa. evidently the bbc reporter has no clue to hos in mexico, the usa, canada or even england and europe(all those messy facts tend to clutter the emotional appeal pieces).

guess that driver might have stopped to rest in meico if he could find a safe place to shut off the truck and sleep without having the truck hijacked underneath him.

if you wish to respond to the bbc story go here and click on general comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ifs/hi/newsid_4000000/newsid_4000500/4000529.stm

actually you may wish to prepare in word first then cut and paste to the small comment box.

Last edited:

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
Maybe if the Illegals would Stay on their side of the Border Instead of Illegally Entering Our Country and Taking American Jobs Away, Then The US Could Start to Recover and Produce Products that Will Enable More Mexican Truck Drivers More Work Instead of Them Coming Over Here Traveling Our Highways with their Unsafe Crappy Trucks! But I'm Sure Obumma will Apologize to Mexico For their Inconvenience and Re-Start The Cross Border Program No Matter How Many American Jobs it Costs!! :mad:

Angry Face! GRRRRR!

Obumma!

Roar!

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
Allowing Mexico trucks to come over the border is a safty issue since they are so lax on the quality of the vehicles on Mexico's highways. I don't care how angry they get, until they have the same safety regulations that we have to abide by (including hours of service and logging) they have no place on our roads.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter

Do they pay them the same as the American workers were paid and any benifits? Same working hours, same everything? I have a feeling they don't.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do they pay them the same as the American workers were paid and any benifits? Same working hours, same everything? I have a feeling they don't.

It is a farm???? scratch same working hours....*L* unless most Americans get up @ 4 am to milk cows...

and describe "everything"

greg334

Veteran Expediter
From Time;

Fatal Sunshine: The Plight of California's Farm Workers

By KEVIN O'LEARY / LOS ANGELES Kevin O'leary / Los Angeles

The bountiful harvest of California strawberries, melons, grapes, peaches and nectarines overflows the nation's summer tables. But that luscious crop mostly emerges thanks to farm workers who labor in flat fields under a scorching sun - and has a price higher than the grocery-store bill. Every year many farm workers become sick, and some die. Typical of the fatalities was Maria Isabel Vasquez Jimenez, who was just 17. In May 2008, she died after picking grapes for nine hours in 95-degree heat. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger attended her funeral and promised to do more to protect workers.

A lawsuit is now underway to ensure just that. Last week, the ACLU and the blue-chip law firm Munger, Tolles & Olson sued California's occupational-health and safety agency on behalf of the UFW and five farm workers who had become sick or are relatives of workers who have died from heatstroke. According to the lawsuit "large numbers of agricultural employers fail utterly to provide basic access to water and shade for their employees" and, as a result, hundreds suffer heat-related illnesses and hospitalizations - or worse - each year .

The complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court provides graphic details. Audon Felix Garcia, 41, became sick July 2008 after loading grape boxes into a truck in 112-degree heat from morning to early afternoon in Kern County. He had 15 years of experience in the fields and, according to the complaint, his "core body temperature was 108 degrees Fahrenheit at the time of his death." Maria de Jesus Bautista had worked in the fields all her life and had never been sick from the heat, but in July 2008 while picking grapes in Riverside County in 110 degrees she complained to her sister of a "headache, nausea and cold sweats." According to the lawsuit, "She continued to work the rest of the day because her employer did not provide any shade and she felt pressured to keep pace with her co-workers. Over the next two weeks, her headache persisted, she became disoriented and was unable to recognize family members, and she was hospitalized on three separate occasions." She died on Aug. 2 last year.

In 2005, California implemented the nation's first heat-illness standard, requiring farms and contractors to provide water and shade to the state's 650,000 farm workers who help supply 44% of the nation's fruits and vegetables. The lawsuit claims the enforcement agency, the State's Division of Cal-OSHA is woefully understaffed (only 198 inspectors for 17 million state workers including the 650,000 farm workers) and that since California enacted its Heat Illness Prevention regulation, "the number of farm-worker heat-related deaths has increased." Catherine Lhamon, assistant legal director for the ACLU of Southern California, said, "The state's system is so full of loopholes that compliance is effectively optional, and employers flout the law with impunity." According to the lawsuit, the current regulation fails to adopt the safeguards that have "long been put into practice by employers ranging from firefighters to the United States' military services."

The recently signed state budget authorized $1.5 million to expand outreach efforts to educate workers and employers about heat illness in all outdoor industries. Unlike many state agencies, Cal-OSHA did not see its budget cut.

Cal-OSHA spokesman Dean Fryer said the state is doing a better job educating growers and that currently 16% of employers visited by inspectors violate the rules as compared to 67% three years ago. Yet the UFW and its attorneys contend that last year the agency conducted only 750 inspections among the approximately 35,000 farms statewide - and found "that nearly 40% had violated mandatory heat-safety regulations." According to the lawsuit, six farm workers died from heat-related illness in 2008. State officials count three. There have been no deaths in 2009, but the union says there have been numerous hospitalizations.
Lawyers for the farm workers say that the big growers, who own the land and who most profit by the workers' labors, have little incentive to ensure adequate water and shade because farm-labor contractors employ the farm workers. In addition, says the lawsuit, employers see little reason to comply with the regulation because "those few violators who are occasionally identified generally escape with little or no punishment." Attorney Bradley Phillips of Munger, Tolles & Olson says the way to improve worker safety is to "create the maximum economic incentive" for the large growers. Under the current system, labor contractors are potentially liable, but they are "not well capitalized and often have no fixed assets." What is necessary, says Phillips, is to impose a fine or some sort of penalty on the grower.

Farm workers say a key problem with the current regulation is that workers have no right to a rest break until they recognize they are experiencing symptoms - and this is often too late to prevent illness. "The evidence points to neglect not ignorance as the cause of farm worker deaths," said UFW President Arturo Rodriguez. He said the union had been in negotiations with state officials to improve the current regulation but with temperatures in the San Joaquin Valley now averaging 100 degrees they cannot afford to wait. "This lawsuit ensures that the governor knows we mean business," Rodriguez said.

Growers say more is being done to protect workers than in past years. Manuel Cunha Jr., president of the NISEI Farmers League, cites the heat-training received by 409 contractors who employee 209,000 of the 380,000 seasonal workforce and the new Igloo water containers that spell out heat-safety precautions in use on farms across the state. "The growers have responded in the most positive and honest way," says Cunha. "We are getting the message to workers that they need to drink cool water, to rest in the shade and to watch for heat-illness symptoms in their co-workers."

Reacting to the lawsuit, Cal-OSHA filed a proposal with the Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board to amend the regulation to require that shade be present at all times. Agency official John C. Duncan said the proposed revision "will make it clear that employees have the right to take a rest in the shade whenever they feel the need to do so to prevent overheating." In the past two months, however, the board has twice failed to adopt emergency proposals to strengthen the heat regulation. After the second rejection, Schwarzenegger issued a statement saying that the board "has failed in their mission to ensure the health and safety of California's outdoor workers."

OK, I have a cure - stop buying California produce.

Sorry I am in a cut and paste mode today... got to go...

wellarmed

Not a Member
Allowing Mexico trucks to come over the border is a safty issue since they are so lax on the quality of the vehicles on Mexico's highways. I don't care how angry they get, until they have the same safety regulations that we have to abide by (including hours of service and logging) they have no place on our roads.

I said the last time this issue came up and I will say it again and I know allot of you won't like it. The truth is regardless if you meet U.S. standards or not, MEXICANS OR CANADIANS do not need to be working here or hauling our freight and we do not need to be in their country either. A Canadian that crosses the boarder in Detroit and travels to Laredo gets about 1650 miles and then a return trip an American driver that crosses the same border in Detroit going to Canada gets nowhere near that kind of miles and very few get return trips and that is only one example. We have given way more than we get in return, as usual.

moparnewt

Seasoned Expediter
AMEN to that Bro

inkasnana

Expert Expediter

I agree completely. A friend of ours that was picking up a load in Laredo told us about a Mexican flatbed that had pulled in to the same docks. The freight was strapped down with 2 worn freight straps and a bunch of clothesline rope. Now that really sounds safe doesn't it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I said the last time this issue came up and I will say it again and I know allot of you won't like it. The truth is regardless if you meet U.S. standards or not, MEXICANS OR CANADIANS do not need to be working here or hauling our freight and we do not need to be in their country either. A Canadian that crosses the boarder in Detroit and travels to Laredo gets about 1650 miles and then a return trip an American driver that crosses the same border in Detroit going to Canada gets nowhere near that kind of miles and very few get return trips and that is only one example. We have given way more than we get in return, as usual.

tough titty said the kitty....:D

Prime example of Location, location, location....you are miffed because you don't get the miles?

Solution: Take a load to Canada and get a return trip to Laredo...the same way other "American" truckers do....what you propose cuts off one leg to save the other bad leg....and to wit...the same American trucker can take a load all the way to Canada...tsk, tsk....

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The U.S. gets easy access to our oil, and we get to haul freight that either originates or delivers into Canada, which is what....2% of the total trucking industry in the U.S.? I think you guys win on that one.

You will get a favourable response up here though, as many Canadian companies are hurting large as the US ones are undercutting and taking all the southbound freight....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The U.S. gets easy access to our oil, and we get to haul freight that either originates or delivers into Canada, which is what....2% of the total trucking industry in the U.S.? I think you guys win on that one.

You will get a favourable response up here though, as many Canadian companies are hurting large as the US ones are undercutting and taking all the southbound freight....

Thank you Mr Piper...:D

When I hear this anti Canadian trucking issue as the poster did...

I wish I was Prime Minister for just 1 lousy day...

I would turn off the taps of oil and Natural gas and pull the electric plug....and then we'd see how much they don't need Canada....:mad:

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Independent Canadian Truck Driver Do Not Follow The Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact, a Canadian truck driver who regularly pulled a load from Toronto to S. E. Michigan, would go to Ohio pick up a load for Georgia (intra-USA) dead head to Florida pick up a load to Canada. He did this over and over. No one stopped him from doing the intra-USA work. So if mexican truck driver are allowed in the the USA, How much of this intra-USA driving will they do? No one is stopping the Canadian drivers now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Independent Canadian Truck Driver Do Not Follow The Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact, a Canadian truck driver who regularly pulled a load from Toronto to S. E. Michigan, would go to Ohio pick up a load for Georgia (intra-USA) dead head to Florida pick up a load to Canada. He did this over and over. No one stopped him from doing the intra-USA work. So if mexican truck driver are allowed in the the USA, How much of this intra-USA driving will they do? No one is stopping the Canadian drivers now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!! I knew of an American trucker taking loads from Montreal to Toronto regularly....so whats your point! Trucker are cheaters?????