Books on CD

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Ladies, do you listen to books on tape while you drive? If so, do you purchase them or what? We have Sirius radio and enjoy it but I think I am ready to start listening to some books on CD when I drive. I used to check out books on CD at the library at home but we aren't home enough now to return them. There must be some place to get them discounted but I haven't figured it out yet. Any ideas?

India Hamner
FedEx CC
D Unit
The reason so many people know the solution is that they created the problem!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We download books from Audible.com,then put them on the I-Pod. It`s amazing to carry around 13 full length books in that small devise,and still have room to add about 50 more books in the 30GB model.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

I buy them at the J when they put them on sale.After I have listened to them I swap them with other drivers.I looked into renting them at the Pilot and found it is more expensive to rent them than to just buy em.Also don't forget to keep the reciept for your taxes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also use audible.com but as of yet we do not have an IPOD so I write our books to CD's. We also buy the books from Flying J when they are on sale. We either trade them out with other drivers after we are done with them or give the books away.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I subscribed to SimplyAudiobooks, a service like Netflix: you pick a brazillion books, they send you the number you signed up for each month, when you're done listening to it, you drop it in the nearest mailbox in the prepaid little box it came in.
I was very surprised to find I don't like listening to audiobooks, cause I can't speed read through the slow parts, but they sure fill up the long boring hours!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm no lady but I do listen to books on cd. I even listen to "ladies" books like Janet Evonvich's "Stephanie Plum" series. I get all my books on cd (previously books on tape) from my library. I'm home often enough so it works for me. Even with a 3 week check out time and a 2 week renewal I find myself burning cd's of books I have yet to finish.

The books on cd complement my music collection but I often run for hours and hours on free form brain flow. If done in public free form brain flow tends to make people nervous. So I mostly do it in my van on the road.

Sometime in the next month or so I should have acquired enough points on my Sears MasterCard to get a $350 fun ticket for Sears. I plan on buying an IPod with it. When I bought my new van I installed a cd player with a cable that will link to an IPod. Now all I need is the IPod and I can organize all my music and still have room for books.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
When I am home I check them out of the libray then record them on CD-RW, then when I am finished listening to them I can record over them. Some players will play them in MP3 format and if so you can use only one CD for a whole book. But test your player first so as not to waste your time.