Bookkeeping

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Go to your local office supply store and buy yourself a Dome Weekly Bookkeeping Record. It will cost you less than $6.00.

On the average, it takes about 30 minutes to read through the instructions and figure out the format. Make your entries weekly and after about the third week you will be a pro! Use a pencil to make your entries because you will make mistakes.

Save each weeks receipts for expenditures and staple them to your trip sheet copies. Place each week's paperwork in a file folder. Mark your folder for the current month.

When tax time comes around, take your folders and your Dome Book to your tax preparer. He will thank you for using this simple and cost effective method. Most tax preparers really do not like taking the time to figure out every Tom, Richard and Harry's trucking software program. They all prefer the KISS method of tracking your expenditures.

PS. Buy the little Dome Auto Expense Book too! Keep track of your miles in that one.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The other consideration in your list is PBS. for a one truck operation. The advantage with them is you get a live person to assist you, and they can prepare your taxes and quarterly statements if needed. Barry and Howard have written several articles with regards to taxes here on EO.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I tried at first the Computer programs, personally way to much hassle. Lion King is right on. LBD probably has the best system. He puts all of his reciepts in a supplied envelope and mails them off at an accounting firm for get this $65.00 a month. Not bad to give you a PL, ans file your taxes.

I have an accountant (my mother in law), I do the envelope system I have 16 catagories everything from Fuel, Tolls, Truck Wash, Hotels, Faxes & Mail, you name it what I purchase in a month I a catagory for. I # my reciepts each colum has 22 lines numbered 1-22 so I have more than enough colums for a month and than a total. Twice a week I # all of my reciepts put them in the envelope and do a total. I can at the middle of the month figure my costs, and income thus comming up with a mini PL. Nice and simple.

My other truck does it by computer, yeah it looks impressive, but gives no further infor actually less than what I have done. But Lions Kings advice is probably right on. Good Luck and just because it costs $ does not mean its better.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is something to be said for the old-fashioned pencil and paper bookeeping method, especially for a one-truck operation. Computer programs require a bunch of time and attention just to get them to run and to learn how to use them to maximum advantage. They are designed to serve a broad market, and thus include a great deal of information that is useless to you and can be overwhelming.

A pencil and paper system will provide a good understanding of business bookeeping FOR YOUR BUSINESS. If you later decide to use a computer bookeeping program, your pencil and paper work will help you know your needs and make it easier to configure a computer bookeeping system.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another vote here for the old fashioned method. When I got my first laptop I planned on putting everything in there. I even got the trial versions of a couple of the programs mentioned. But you have to save receipts anyway, so I just keep track of what's in the envelope. The computer would just be one more step.

trkrhelp

Expert Expediter
After all the comments on keeping your records with pencil and paper - I just thought you might enjoy this article on [a href="http://65.61.26.173/Articles/articles_computing_for_profits.asp"]COMPUTING FOR PROFITS[/A]

It's an article I did back in 1997, but I think it's still relevant today and discusses some of the reasons for moving to a computer accounting system.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
trkrhelp,

Thank you for sharing your article. You are correct. It is indeed as relevant today as the day you wrote it. But I find myself bristling when I read it; not because you said anything wrong, but because computers still suck. You said:

"Computers are somewhat intimidating and many of the old timers remember looking into computers back in the days when you needed to be a programmer to work on a computer. But that has changed over the years. Today's computers, and software in general, have improved to the point that almost anyone can master using a computer with a few hours of effort. There are, of course, still a number of things to learn and it is doubtful that you will bring your new computer home and begin computing that evening, but with a couple of evenings at the computer, and a little help from a friend, or the children who are exposed to computers daily in school, you should be able to start getting some meaningful use out of your computer in a week or two."

While that is true, it does not address the fact that a computer problem of one sort or another will certainly develop. It may have nothing to do with the software you sell, but for the driver, it's a problem just the same. And such problems can be frustrating enough to make one think about tossing the computer out the window.

It's the year 2006 and Microsoft is still issuing fixes for it's Windows 2000 product. And then they issue a fix for the fix! Almost every month, a new computer virus makes the news. Users must be very careful to install software and configure their computers to keep hackers out. Spammers fill e-mail boxes with endless streams of crap. You go to a web site and get messages that you are using an antiquated browser and you must download the latest and greatest player so you can watch a totally useless presentation on that site's home page.

Even doing something that should be simple like printing a page often takes users into the business of installing drivers. Installing drivers? What the heck is that? A driver is a person that hauls freight, isn't it?

Computers take non-computer people into a world that speaks a foreign language. Programming? Something on TV. Node? WISIWIG? .jpg? Backup? Megabyte? Mouse? Who is the idiot that decided to call it that? Google? sounds like something a baby might mumble before she learns to talk.

Listen to how geeks talk and try to hear it as non-computer people hear. "I Googled 'compression program' and clicked on Tucows where I was able to download WinZip."

When computers develop problems, users are encouraged to call technical support. As often as not, you get someone with a heavy east-Indian accent who starts throwing out geek terms, leaving users feeling inadequate and helpless as they click away as instructed, but having no idea what they are doing or why.

I'm a fairly-skilled computer user and try to use our TWO laptops in our truck to maximize our profits. (We own two because we got tired of waiting for the other to finish with the one.) Having once worked as a software instructor, I can say without reservation that for many people, computers are not empowering devices, but intimidating.

It's not just your average Jane or Joe that has such complaints. In 2002, the MIT Technology Review featured an article, "Why is Software So Bad?" It was written by an MIT computer expert who was frustrated by the computer problems he and all other users encounter day by day.

The more I learn about computers, the more I appreciate the value of a pencils, paper, and books. As one wag said, "If computers are supposed to take us to a paperless society, why are there so many computer books?"

Pencil and paper bookeeping systems are vastly superior to computer systems in many respects. Backing them up is as easy as making photocopies and keeping them at home, while keeping the originals in your truck. They don't crash. They don't need electricity or batteries to operate. You don't have to know how to type to use them. And after you let them sit for a few years, you don't have to worry that the technology (pencil and paper) and flie type (an actual file in an actuale file cabinet drawer) has changed so much that you cannot access your records without first upgrading your technology by a generation or three (and paying technology vendors money for the upgrades).

Whether you are using a computer or paper, you still need to develop an understanding of bookeeping and basic accounting principles. With paper, you can do that without encountering computer problems.

Any bookeeping system is better than no system. Even for people who are comfortable using computers, it may be wise to start with the paper resources mentioned above. Doing so will give you a better understanding of the bookeeping processes the computer programs are using when they guide you through their setup process.

I could go on but I won't. (I probably will later, as part of the Business Planning for Successful Expediters series. Thank you for getting me started. See: http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/business-planning-expediters.html)

Short story: Computers suck. While you can indeed milk profits out of your business by using a computer to pick the fly doo doo out of the rice, a good pencil and paper bookeeping system, combined with the services of a truck business services and tax preparation firm will help you drive profitably down the road without a computer-based bookeeping system.

Drivers who know how to use a computer are probably better off than those who don't, but learning how takes no small amount of time and effort. The value of that time and effort, including opportunity costs, should be factored in when talking about the value of computer bookeeping systems.

Busin4fun

Expert Expediter
i tried the demo on most all of the above, and the one i liked and use is hammer lane, most of the other were to basic(not eough info) i found the truckers helper to have all u need but it was hard to work with and had to input the same info for milage in 2places and the help said not to imput twice, so i called for helpand after a long phone conversation with the girl she saidthat you havr to inter it in both place manualy, andthen couldnt help me with other problems. put me on hold forever. then hung up. hammer lane is easy and has everything that is needed for reports,and u olny inter it once, had a? and calledabout one function and they helpedme throught with no problems, been very happy, i did not get the milalge part , i put in my miles manualy, but they said it u get that then thoughs part will fill in automaticly, i like it over all theomesi tried,

Just Do What Needs To Be Done and Ask Questions Later.. If you really need to know.. Be Safe

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's the website for my choice. You can check it out for yourself and see what you think.

http://www.43truck.com/index.htm

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

MDB1

Expert Expediter
Jeez, Phil, why don't you tell us how you really feel? LOL.

Just kidding. You made some very good points. I really like your articles--Keep up the good work.

P.S. Enjoyed meeting you and Diane at MATS.

trkrhelp

Expert Expediter
I would say that the bulk of our users are new to computers - but most of them seem to learn what they need to know without all the difficulties you seem to feel are inherient in computers. But some will see the value and try it - some wont'. The value is still there whether you choose to take advantage of it or not. It doesn't take any longer to enter your data in a computer than it does to write it down in a ledger - it's the results of your entry that differ. With paper and pen you have a nice book full of numbers, with a computer you have a number of useful reports.

trkrhelp

Expert Expediter
Sounds like you may have talked with Chrystal back when she was just starting out on the phone. Sorry you didn't get a better answer to your question. I would be real interested in knowing where you had to enter mileages twice though. There's only one place where the mileage records are kept and I'm not sure why you thought you needed to enter the same thing twice or where you would enter it twice. Maybe you can let me know if you remember so I can figure out why you thought you would need to enter it twice.

Thanks

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I have had a computer since 1998 so I have acquired some skills over the past 8 years. The trucker's software is overly complex, even for the skilled user.

Worse yet, the tech support is pathetic! Unless you are dealing with Mircosoft or any of the larger software manufacturers you will find this to be the case across the board.

I purchased a $500 software program to track the sales for the graphics department of a company at which I was employed. Every week there would be a revised version update. Why? The litle guys don't have deep enough pockets to afford in depth testing before product release.

What even more distressing the continual salesperson rhetoric regarding their tech support. For example, "You must have been talking with so and so when they were just starting out...blah, blah, blah." I talked with their sales support about two months ago and they hung up on me too! Therefore, out of the mouth of two witnesses it is a fact!

Whenever I see a fellow trucker looking at their display in a truck stop I make it a point to inform them about the poor tech support and then tell them how easy it is to keep their records by following a tired and proven method. They always put the software back on the display and say thanks!

I use my laptop in many reasons to help me while I am on the road, but not for truck accounting software.

Save your money and save yourself the frustration; get the Dome Recordkeeeping System and a pencil.

trkrhelp

Expert Expediter
Hi dhalltoyo - I think we covered your issues back in the Feb 19th post and I'm sure everyone who read it knows how you feel about software and The Truckers Helper.

Actually I didn't come into this discussion to push The Truckers Helper, I came to offer a link to an article that I wrote several years ago for some of the trucking magazines that offered some insight into this discussion.

But thanks for your comments we'll give them the consideration they deserve :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey John,
I demo-ed your software the other day and there is something odd that I want you to know about. I have two different programs listed in the add and remove programs window and I runthe uninstaller but they don't go away and the package is still in the folder that it was installed in after the unistaller is finished.

I will clean it up so no need to explain anything, but after installing it and uninstalling it a bunch of times on different machines, this is the first time I found a problem.

trkrhelp

Expert Expediter
I don't want to hijack this thread with this, but if you could post this on our [a href="www.thetruckershelper.com"]FORUM[/A], in the Bugs section with some more details so I could look into is some more I'd really appreciate it. Be sure and let me know the names of both instances, and what icon is with each.

Thanks,