Board Position BS

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
there is one trouble with calling in alot,and I will say I'm guilty of that,but,you might get an offer you don't want,and you get the I thought you wanted a load story.
yes dispatch can see what you have made but its not like them to over look you to load some one else,although,while you are being offered the 500 mile run,another is being offered the 2000 mile run,I've been told this can't happen,but I wouldn't bet on it

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I understand how it happens. So often we are sold a bill of goods that we are part of something that is the best thing since sliced bread. And we buy into it. However it seems, the more we buy into it, or, the more familiar we get, the further we slip into La La land.

are12

Expert Expediter
We have gone through this a couple of times, where we were passed over while being first out. When we questioned it, one answer was, the other truck pinged closer to the pick up - even though we were sitting side by side. Another answer was, their acceptance rate was higher than ours-they were only with Panther a week.

We realized that each time this happened, the team that got the load, was a new team!

We have also been in the position where we were 4th-1st out since 3 other trucks came in after us with a 1st out. Didn't make sense then and still doesn't!:p :p

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
>We have gone through this a couple of times, where we were
>passed over while being first out. When we questioned it,
>one answer was, the other truck pinged closer to the pick up
>- even though we were sitting side by side. Another answer
>was, their acceptance rate was higher than ours-they were
>only with Panther a week.
>
>We realized that each time this happened, the team that got
>the load, was a new team!
>
>We have also been in the position where we were 4th-1st out
>since 3 other trucks came in after us with a 1st out. Didn't
>make sense then and still doesn't!:p :p

Best one that ever happened to me was.you never showed up for the load,well my next two weeks were record breakers for revenue,but believe me,the phone lines were burning up over the you never showed up for that load statement,I'm not going to say who I talked with,it's easier to say who I didn't.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
If your acceptance percentage drops to a certain point Panther dispatch will just stop calling. You need to take that into consideration. I'm not sure if they're instructed to make up some stuff like "4 first outs came in" but check your acceptance percentages. I doubt you have that problem but in the case of cherry pickers dispatch can't babysit these people so they just ignore them as they should.

are12

Expert Expediter
<<<If your acceptance percentage drops to a certain point Panther dispatch will just stop calling. You need to take that into consideration. I'm not sure if they're instructed to make up some stuff like "4 first outs came in" but check your acceptance percentages. I doubt you have that problem but in the case of cherry pickers dispatch can't babysit these people so they just ignore them as they should.>>>

I do not want to get into the debate, again, about acceptance percentages but to me, your acceptance rate should have little to do with getting a load. I am more concerned about our on time and safety.
What good is a high acceptance rate, if your on time is less than, let's use, 95%. (Sometimes there are unforeseen events that may keep you from getting there on time) Our's is 100% Toot!Toot!

Yes, we are what you would call "cherry pickers" but we will not take a load if it does not benefit us. We know what we need to make to keep our heads above water! Not Panther or dispatch!

Back to the 1st out's, sometimes the dispatcher's are all to quick to give them out - just to get a load covered. To us, a 1st out does not mean anything but offer us a cash bonus and that may get you somewhere! :+ :+

redhotxpress

Seasoned Expediter
We were told recently by a dispatcher that they were no longer giving a first out as a reward for taking a load because it wasn't fair to the drivers who had been sitting for days waiting for a load and then someone comes in with a 1st out. guess, it just depends on who the dispatcher is....SHOULDN'T THERE BE SOME CONSISTENCY??????
but i have one that will top all that....we were offered a load out of canada, which we refused, they resent it and called to ask why we refused (we had our reasons and rights, since it isn't forced dispatch (right?) to refuse) but this person said "well i guess if you aren't going to take the load, i'll have to put you OUT OF SERVICE and your RATE WILL BE DROPPED 20 CENTS for not taking loads out of canada". seriously, on my honor that is what we were told. hope that was one of the conversations that was recorded. seems to me like he was telling me it's forced dispatch after all.
redhot

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Board positions

Now Ive herd it all. Let's just say while in Atlanta I watched a Primadonna Truck come in last and Get a load out first then turn around and because it was less than 75 go to the top of the Board then because of circumstances got the first big boy outa the shoot.

Now Comming in to the perspective I hold the same Flags and Qualifications. Now go figure, Ya YA I opened up for Surface.

What happened, I Know But thats the politics.

But then when it comes to driven in Bad weather just the opposite happens Im outa the gate first with the good load now you go figure.

What I see is a lot of fair weather drivers, but I am their pick for when its stormy (Ice Snow)
Ha Ha chin up. Complaining Nope. To make it simple I don't care for fair weather drivers or fair weather riders. (Motor Cycles) Get my drift. HA HA Hummor. Here is the reason I grew up in the country I grew up driving in the Snow and Ice, My father Drove in it all the time and he removed it from paved roads and gravel roads. As his boy I learned it's apart of the the Job. I didn't complain, And yes I even road my Endouro on the Ice and snow packed roads yes I have a motor cycle licence and it was licenced. Not too worry. Crazy No I was a Farm Boy whos Father worked for the county. Now do you got any questions.
I grew up around Dump Trucks, Semi Low boys,Catapillers, Road graders, and loaders and scrapers and yes of course Tractors and Corn pickers and combines. hmm. Interesting yupper I can run em.

But that don't make me a Super Trucker.

As you have seen alot of these Primadonna Trucks out here are man and wife teams and I don't have a problem with that, But these trucks, and I talk to every body, if they are on with a owner operator that is considered the Big Cahoona (Has a a lot of Trucks) They tend to get the Gravy while we get the Beans. (Left Overs) Thats the Truth and it happens all over. In all Expedite Business. A person can show dependability but still get the lesser than farvorable loads unless a load angel steps in and helps out.
Thats the truth.

Ive had my share of Bloody noses out here and Learned alot that is for sure.

My future plans are:

1. Complete the interview.

2. I will have two years up comming I realy want my own truck and reefer Trailer with a lift gate and Belly Box.
(I think after waiting 28 years I deserve what I waited for so long to to become reality.) The other part is I can't wait for my youngest my Beautiful daughter to graduate so that then My Beautiful wife will come and drive with me. By the way she is from Iowa as well and can drive in the Snow and ICE as well. (Must be the water "Well Water")

3. I am also going to make this thread wrong if the load angels
do their part. yes you read right Load Angels vice Dispatchers.

4. OK load angels Im sitting here in the Richmond area Only Tractor trailer on the board Where me load hmm. Oops forgot to do my hourly call in to ya so ya don't forget me. No Im not kidding. Im waiting
Hey Tenn where the nachoes and NightCreature where the Pop Corn ya know Petro is playen Expediters weekend layover. HA HA

Have a safe one

and God Bless

Kevin

PS don't Forget Iowa's got the Biggest and Best Truck Stop in the Country Bar None.
Just like FedEX Simply the Best.
Now that's my Opinion
which one ya ask
Both of Course.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
TOOT TOOT! WOOOH you're a super stud trucker, I'll tell ya! Where can I sign up to be just like you?

Nachos are right here, but waitin on the pizza.

All I hear is blah blah blah, I'm a dirty tramp. :7

Oh... here's my pic.

are12

Expert Expediter
Hate to say this Kangar but, yes, there are times our acceptance rate is under 50% but you know what, that does not bother us. Like I stated before, we really do not worry much about the acceptance and we still make a pretty good living.

Panther knows when they put a load on our truck it will be there hours before the scheduled delivery.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

This is why I don't ask for my board position.It really doesn't make any difference.If there is freight coming out of that area I'll get a load.Whether I'm #1 or #25.

I would rather be sitting at a truck stop with 2 or 3 other vans ahead of me in rotation. That way I can get an idea of what freight is coming out of that area.Also dispatch will bid on loads because they have a better chance of covering the loads.If they bid on a load in an area where I'm the only truck and I turn the load offer down then they have a problem and they aren't real happy with me.

I agree that first out shouldn't be offered.It just creates hard feelings.Also it ties up the phone lines when everybody tries to figure out if they are first first out or third first out.

Teflon

Seasoned Expediter
Yea thanks.......deadheaded to Laredo....got out quick to Ohio...should not have looked at board status....just get the hell out after a few days and keep rolling