Birds hold 'funerals' for dead

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Cool post, EnglishLady.

Jays, Magpies, Ravens, and Crows are all Corvids, among the smartest and cleverest in the avian world. There's a great book about the behavior of Ravens, by famed biologist Bernd Heinrich, called Ravens in Winter that reads almost like a detective novel. Really interesting, if you're into animal behavior.

Another great book about Corvids, and how smart they are, that you may be interested in is Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays.

Both are fascinating.

BBC

When western scrub jays encounter a dead bird, they call out to one another and stop foraging.
The jays then often fly down to the dead body and gather around it, scientists have discovered.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
300px-RotisserieChicken.jpg

Looks like a HUNKER to me!

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Lol Layoutshooter! Don't get me wrong I love my meat eating ways! Now I'm thinking of the great deer jerky a customer used to bring into me! Yummy!!

Pagan Trucker Girl - Blessed Be

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lol Layoutshooter! Don't get me wrong I love my meat eating ways! Now I'm thinking of the great deer jerky a customer used to bring into me! Yummy!!

Pagan Trucker Girl - Blessed Be

LOL! I was NOT giving you a hard time! Just being my normal smart butt self! :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cool post, EnglishLady.

Jays, Magpies, Ravens, and Crows are all Corvids, among the smartest and cleverest in the avian world. There's a great book about the behavior of Ravens, by famed biologist Bernd Heinrich, called Ravens in Winter that reads almost like a detective novel. Really interesting, if you're into animal behavior.

Another great book about Corvids, and how smart they are, that you may be interested in is Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays.

Both are fascinating.

Let us not forget that a "flock" or 'group' of crows is called a MURDER!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, I looked at the vid link before I posted LOL

We're good - it wasn't the real Bambi
:)

Nope, you would have to go to Germany to find the 'real' Bambi! Godliza would ALWAYS whoop a 'vegetarian prey, low end on the food chain' deer like Bambi! The primary purpose of a deer is to turn vegetable matter into meat protein for me to eat!

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Yep, a murder of crows.

I had buddies when I was a kid who had crows as pets. I wanted one, so went out to a big farm I knew of that had tall rows of pine trees as windbreaks between fields, and I knew there were crow's nests in the tops of those pines.

I had a pillow case in my back pocket (to put a baby crow or two into) and climbed up through the sticky sap and scratchy branches all the way to the top of a really tall pine that had a nest. I got almost to the top when the mother crow stuck her head over the side of the nest to see what was making noise. I can still see her face and coal black eye staring at me. She sort of freaked of course, that a human was in her tree, and CAWed loudly three times.

JJ Audubon once said he had cataloged crow calls and that in the Ohio River Valley three caws generally was done to sound the alarm, like a beaver slapping his tail on water.

Well, it sure was the sound of alarm in this case because within a minute or two there seemed like hundreds of crows flying overhead, all screaming at me. I've seen crows flock, chase, and attack owls in daytime, or a snake in a field, and now knew they were after me in a big way.

I was scared out of my wits and shinnied down that tree as fast as I could, breaking small branches and scratching my arms to pieces. The crows were dodging in and out of the pines and raising holy hell. I got down to the bottom of the tree and hunkered close to the trunk, knowing they would not dodge at me too close for fear of hitting the tree. If I headed out into the field, they would literally have a field day with me.

It took quite a while of crouching motionless as I could at the base of that tree for them to finally subside and lost interest. Even then, when I finally did leave cover of the pine windbreak, I was darting my head left and right over my shoulder to the skies to be sure they weren't coming for me.

An unforgettable exchange.

Let us not forget that a "flock" or 'group' of crows is called a MURDER!!

Last edited:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Nope, you would have to go to Germany to find the 'real' Bambi! Godliza would ALWAYS whoop a 'vegetarian prey, low end on the food chain' deer like Bambi! The primary purpose of a deer is to turn vegetable matter into meat protein for me to eat!

I watched a documentary the other day that would refute what you said LOL.

I forget what the animal was called, but it was like a really big deer (but different :rolleyes:)

Anyhoo .... there was a pride of lions, and they got hold of one of the young one's .... boy did those deer like things whoop those lions good :p

Baby deer thing got up and went to the center of the herd where all the adult one's surrounded it :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I watched a documentary the other day that would refute what you said LOL.

I forget what the animal was called, but it was like a really big deer (but different :rolleyes:)

Anyhoo .... there was a pride of lions, and they got hold of one of the young one's .... boy did those deer like things whoop those lions good :p

Baby deer thing got up and went to the center of the herd where all the adult one's surrounded it :)

Yeah, took a whole gang of 'em! LOL!! Them's African stuff. Don't exist here other than in prisons (zoos)

Might as well give up, you can't win! LOL!!

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, took a whole gang of 'em! LOL!! Them's African stuff. Don't exist here other than in prisons (zoos)

Might as well give up, you can't win! LOL!!

It shows unity, when the going gets tough nothing will get in ther way .... even a preditor !!

I win !! :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep, a murder of crows.

I had buddies when I was a kid who had crows as pets. I wanted one, so went out to a big farm I knew of that had tall rows of pine trees as windbreaks between fields, and I knew there were crow's nests in the tops of those pines.

I had a pillow case in my back pocket (to put a baby crow or two into) and climbed up through the sticky sap and scratchy branches all the way to the top of a really tall pine that had a nest. I got almost to the top when the mother crow stuck her head over the side of the nest to see what was making noise. I can still see her face and coal black eye staring at me. She sort of freaked of course, that a human was in her tree, and CAWed loudly three times.

JJ Audubon once said he had cataloged crow calls and that in the Ohio River Valley three caws generally was done to sound the alarm, like a beaver slapping his tail on water.

Well, it sure was the sound of alarm in this case because within a minute or two there seemed like hundreds of crows flying overhead, all screaming at me. I've seen crows flock, chase, and attack owls in daytime, or a snake in a field, and now knew they were after me in a big way.

I was scared out of my wits and shinnied down that tree as fast as I could, breaking small branches and scratching my arms to pieces. The crows were dodging in and out of the pines and raising holy hell. I got down to the bottom of the tree and hunkered close to the trunk, knowing they would not dodge at me too close for fear of hitting the tree. If I headed out into the field, they would literally have a field day with me.

It took quite a while of crouching motionless as I could at the base of that tree for them to finally subside and lost interest. Even then, when I finally did leave cover of the pine windbreak, I was darting my head left and right over my shoulder to the skies to be sure they weren't coming for me.

An unforgettable exchange.

If we ever have a "HUNKER" I will tell you a story about 3 kids and a crow. Can't tell it in here, to many "special words" that the site's filters won't let through!