Birds hold 'funerals' for dead

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC

When western scrub jays encounter a dead bird, they call out to one another and stop foraging.

The jays then often fly down to the dead body and gather around it, scientists have discovered.

The behaviour may have evolved to warn other birds of nearby danger, report researchers in California, who have published the findings in the journal Animal Behaviour.

The revelation comes from a study by Teresa Iglesias and colleagues at the University of California, Davis, US.

They conducted experiments, placing a series of objects into residential back yards and observing how western scrub jays in the area reacted.

The objects included different coloured pieces of wood, dead jays, as well as mounted, stuffed jays and great horned owls, simulating the presence of live jays and predators

The jays reacted indifferently to the wooden objects.

But when they spied a dead bird, they started making alarm calls, warning others long distances away.

The jays then gathered around the dead body, forming large cacophonous aggregations. The calls they made, known as "zeeps", "scolds" and "zeep-scolds", encouraged new jays to attend to the dead

The jays also stopped foraging for food, a change in behaviour that lasted for over a day.

When the birds were fooled into thinking a predator had arrived, by being exposed to a mounted owl, they also gathered together and made a series of alarm calls.

They also swooped down at the supposed predator, to scare it off. But the jays never swooped at the body of a dead bird.

The birds also occasionally mobbed the stuffed jays; a behaviour they are known to do in the wild when they attack competitors or sick birds.

The fact that the jays didn't react to the wooden objects shows that it is not the novelty of a dead bird appearing that triggers the reaction.

The results show that "without witnessing the struggle and manner of death", the researchers write, the jays see the presence of a dead bird as information to be publicly shared, just as they do the presence of a predator.

Spreading the message that a dead bird is in the area helps safeguard other birds, alerting them to danger, and lowering their risk from whatever killed the original bird in the first place, the researchers say.

Other animals are known to take notice of their dead.

Giraffes and elephants, for example, have been recorded loitering around the body of a recently deceased close relative, raising the idea that animals have a mental concept of death, and may even mourn those that have passed.

This was also interesting (well IMO LOL) BBC Nature - Curious incident of a dead giraffe

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
When I make a bird dead I don't give it a funeral. I have it over for dinner! :cool:

Hmmm ..... but put yourself in the birds position ....... he was only talking with his mate a few moments ago ... :(

LOL, actually I think its quite an interesting subject.
Saw a documentary not long back on elephants that 'mourn' - very interesting.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hmmm ..... but put yourself in the birds position ....... he was only talking with his mate a few moments ago ... :(

LOL, actually I think its quite an interesting subject.
Saw a documentary not long back on elephants that 'mourn' - very interesting.

OR, it was made to look that way. I have spent a zillion hours in the field. Seen many things. ONE thing I have learned out there, when push comes to shove, it's each for himself. I have seen a doe kill her own fawn when food was scarce. Crows and other scavengers don't always wait of the animal they are about to dine on to die. They eat them while still alive. Those are some of the 'nicer' things.

Not into the personification of animals. They is what they is. They are prey or predator, and sometimes both. Everything eats or is eaten. MOST of the prey animals are vegetarian. I ENJOY my status at the top of the food chain and work hard to maintain it! I WILL NEVER BE A GRAZER!! LOL!!

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
OR, it was made to look that way. I have spent a zillion hours in the field. Seen many things. ONE thing I have learned out there, when push comes to shove, it's each for himself. I have seen a doe kill her own fawn when food was scarce. Crows and other scavengers don't always wait of the animal they are about to dine on to die. They eat them while still alive. Those are some of the 'nicer' things.

Not into the personification of animals. They is what they is. They are prey or predator, and sometimes both. Everything eats or is eaten. MOST of the prey animals are vegetarian. I ENJOY my status at the top of the food chain and work hard to maintain it! I WILL NEVER BE A GRAZER!! LOL!!

Ahh maybe you were intruding and thats why they didn't 'act' normally ... lol

Y'know .... if a tree falls in the woods does it make a noise if no-one is there to hear it thingy :rolleyes:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Idk Layoutshooter....sounds like they were acting a lot humans to me! In a true life or death situation most of us supposedly evolved humans look out for ourselves and not our fellow man.

Pagan Trucker Girl - Blessed Be

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ahh maybe you were intruding and thats why they didn't 'act' normally ... lol

Y'know .... if a tree falls in the woods does it make a noise if no-one is there to hear it thingy :rolleyes:

Man cannot 'intrude' in the field. He is a PART of nature and BELONGS out there just as much as the deer or ducks. Mankind has hunted since Mankind has existed. He has always used tools to hunt with. Animal don't act in the wild, they can only react. It are what it are.

ANYWHO, Off to the target range to make sure may TOOLS are ready for hunting season!

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Man cannot 'intrude' in the field. He is a PART of nature and BELONGS out there just as much as the deer or ducks. Mankind has hunted since Mankind has existed. He has always used tools to hunt with. Animal don't act in the wild, they can only react. It are what it are.

ANYWHO, Off to the target range to make sure may TOOLS are ready for hunting season!

I meant intruding on the 'funeral' LOL

Enjoy!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Idk Layoutshooter....sounds like they were acting a lot humans to me! In a true life or death situation most of us supposedly evolved humans look out for ourselves and not our fellow man.

I don't know, I used to rush into burning buildings or crawl under wrecked cars. putting my life of the line for people I did not even know. People do that DAILY. Many are killed in the act of saving others. People risking their lives for other is common. My wife was willing to risk her life on an ambulance crew, once going into a house, alone, and disarming a wild woman who was wielding a knife. Hundreds are killed every year in the US, many of them volunteers, in the act of saving others.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
An animals have saved many people too...they're a lot smarter than many people give them credit for and show many of the same emotions. Humans are animals, we've just forgotten our roots.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I make a bird dead I don't give it a funeral. I have it over for dinner! :cool:

300px-RotisserieChicken.jpg

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
wow!

But as a hunter, did you know about the 'social bond' (as mentioned in the OP)?

Not to the degree your article talks about..
I have seen a group of turkeys approach a bird that that was just harvested from the group and mill around it. Why they did it I dont know..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Left alone those turkeys would have torn that dead one apart. Anyone ever see how a sick/injured goose or duck is treated by their 'mates'. The healthy birds either run them off or kill them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An animals have saved many people too...they're a lot smarter than many people give them credit for and show many of the same emotions. Humans are animals, we've just forgotten our roots.

I have not forgotten MY roots. I am the "PRIME PREDATOR"!!! :p I LOVE my place at the top of the food chain. The range went well. Two deer guns are now in the, "One shot One deer" Mode! All three deer guns are ready to go now! :D