Best tool for breaking all seals ?

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Have had a few loads lately where we have had moderate difficulty breaking the security seals. We currently have a rusted pair of long handeled bolt cutters, and a pair of new metal "snips".

Our last seal was a thicker metal cable seal that took up the whole padlock hasp area ( no room for the padlock ) and we had to use the long handeled bolt cutters. It took several minutes of "biting through" and various twisting motions to finally fray and cut through. We looked a bit amateurish, im sure.

Does anyone use a tool or method that works well for these cable seals, or the "bolt" type seals ?

Thanks !

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We had a heavy cable seal that we took to Sears. After trying everything they had we bought a grinder with a large cutting wheel. At the del we put on googles, took a pair of pliers to pull the seai tight, and burned thru the seal in seconds. I'll probably put a 110 outlet near the tailgate controls of my new truck. This would not be good near hazmat, but the customer that is there to offload via liftgate was highly impressed. WW Granger sells a cable cutter but its about $70. I bought a cable seal cutter from U-Line, but left it at home and have never used it.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I don't have one but I have seen a battery powered drill with a cut off wheel slice right through those cable seals.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A few of the military bases we've been to lately have had a Makita battery powered cutter. The cutting blades looked like tin snips.It's made easy work of anything I've seen it cut. That's what I'd be looking for.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Usually one and always two shots from the .45 cut through anything. :D

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I went to WEST MARINE and bought a pair of cutters used for making rigging. The brand name is CLAUSS ($29.00)it is about 10" long and cuts the heavy cable seals we get from FEDEX. One handed and 1/2 second and it is done. The titanium edge and compound levering make it easy. For the bolt seals we use the standard bolt cutters.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I carry a pair of 36" bolt cutters and a backup pair of 18", in case the 36" breaks. Yes, I had a pair break on me before (Harbor Freight garbage).

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
rechargeable dremel with cutting blade,small compact,cut's wire seal's,like a hot knife thru butter! $50.00 at walmart

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Jeff, that day at Sears the salesman kept going back to the dremel. Have you cut a cable seal thats alittle thicker than a cigarette? Do you use the litte dime size wheel?

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Great ideas everyone ! Think I will try my rechargeable drill with a cutting wheel, never thought of that. Thanks for your time replying !

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Jeff, that day at Sears the salesman kept going back to the dremel. Have you cut a cable seal thats alittle thicker than a cigarette? Do you use the litte dime size wheel?

I use it on fedex canadian seals,works awsome.I've tried wire cutter's etc.... nothing works as well,or quickly as the dremel with the dime size wheel.I have not had to cut a seal the size of a cigarette,but if they are just strands of wire wraped together,it would still work.may just take a little longer?