Best lock?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I have never had a roll-up door, or barn door either, so I need your opinions on the type of padlock I should consider.

I guess freezing in the winter months is going to be a major concern.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had very good luck with my Master yellow clad commercial grade lock. I have seen them at both Lowe's and Home Depot at various times although not at every one.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I worked for a large fleet that used Abloy locks exclusively. I never had a problem, even in extreme cold.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i have been using master locks. used to wwork there and got quite a few freebies. as long as they are oiled and de-iced in the winter life is good. wish i would remember to oil before the snow gets into the lock.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I liked using a master lock that had the shackle that slides out of the body of the lock. It has one of those adjustable type of shackles. I had to lock a side box that caught all the road grime off of the steer tires. I tried some good, expensive locks as I usually get what I pay for. In this case of the heavy grit, the locks filled up with grit regardless of how they were sealed. The adjustable locks seemed to be some of the cheapest lock in the line up, but the combination of extremely loose tolerances and double shackle, it ended up working like a self cleaning lock. Grit just washed through. They worked with minimal maintenance in arctic to tropical conditions on the road.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I use master locks and I have the real good ones, you can't use most bolt cutters on it, maybe if they had the 5 foot handles, they might work.(ask me how I know this LOL)
I use graphite to keep the lock mechanism working well, I have had problems with frozen locks when we get ice rain, but a torch fixes that problem quickly. BTW WD40 is terrible for locks as it attracts dirt, graphite is the best.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is a winter weather tip that works great even on the cheaper locks.. take a tennis ball and cut a slice at the top of it. now just slide the tennis ball over the lock. this will proctect the lock from all weather!!

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Here is a winter weather tip that works great even on the cheaper locks.. take a tennis ball and cut a slice at the top of it. now just slide the tennis ball over the lock. this will proctect the lock from all weather!!

NICE TIP ! Thanks Mr. Snappy