Bentz Sleeper

babs3361

Expert Expediter
We are seriously considering this sleeper. If you have one could you please let me know how it is holding up and how long you have had it Thanks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got one, I am not really thrilled with the construction.

It has been on the truck since it was new, going on 8 years but regardless the quality of a sleeper should come through by holding up for 8 or 10 years.

The biggest issue I have are two water leaks, one is from the roof and the other is from a seam on the front of the sleeper. The seal is bad but not the source of the leak.

The roof leak I have to either coat the roof which is just a patch or rip the interior out and fix it proplerly, which means a real fiberglass repair and two days. I at first thought that the roof problem was caused by someone standing on the roof but determined that the two cracks are stress cracks.

The seam leak is more work, I have to clean the seam up which may mean I have to pull the roof section up just enough to scrap out the sealent and than reseal it properly. It looks like it has been repaired before and know that silicone sealant will only be a temp fix.

I also found out that the plywood used for the sub-floor needs to be ripped out and replaced. I got marine poly lumber to replace it so it won't rot.

I started to rip out the figberglass batten insulation (which is a poor use of this) and measuring for a combination of Polyisocyanurate Insulation (a.k.a. R-Maxx) with bubble pack aluminum clad insulation (a.k.a. reflectix) on either the interior side or both sides.

I have contacted them to find out the wiring, hose layout and parts info for the HAVC system but after one conversation and not having my serial number ready, I called back a few times and left messages but no one has yet called me back.

Booker

Expert Expediter
We have had two Bentz sleepers in the past and will be picking up a new truck this week with another Bentz sleeper on it. The minor problems that we have encountered with the sleepers in the past were fixed quickly and correctly by Bentz personnel. Their service after the sale is very good. I would recommend a Bentz sleeper to anyone that is contemplating buying a sleeper.
The first Bentz sleeper we bought was in 2000. It was mounted on a T300 Kenworth. That truck is still in service today and the sleeper is fine. The second one we had was on a SST100 truck from Stoops Freightliner in Ft. Wayne, IN. Our new one that we will be picking up is another SST100. I don't think you could go wrong with a Bentz sleeper.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have had numerous Bentz sleepers over the years, and we have had pretty good service out of them.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For a non-production aftermarket sleeper for the money, probably cannot be beat. The bread & butter manufacturer in our industry. However, it depends on what you want to spend? I would have a customized sleeper built by Double Eagle, or other, if I ever thought of doing this again. For about $15K they could build you a lot of sleeper in 74" dims. Of course, since you probably want larger, you will pay for it accordingly.
Check out the drawing just for kicks...

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the Double eagle input but I'm to old to have to crawl into a fox hol if you know what i mean I like the stand up walk back concept of the Bentz

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've got 2 trucks with Bentz sleepers. Overall they are good. There are a few things they should do differently to make them more user friendly. The divider curtain needs a magnetic closure. The new ones use a zipper that requires getting down to the floor to start every time. Magnetic is the only way to go. The divider curtain needs to be attached to the side walls from top to bottom to better seal. It would make the APU work better. There are other things but that's an idea of some of them. None of the shortcomings are major, just things that could be better when you are living in them. Compared to many others I've seen the quality is better and the materials are not nearly as cheap looking. I'm satisfied with mine and if they adopt a few suggestions they'll be even better.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Shipshewana, Indiana is about an hour away from Fort Wayne. Bentz is near Fort Wayne. Near Shipshewana you will find Double Eagle, ICT and ARI. With four custom sleeper manufacturers within an hour of each other, smart shopers will start with one, rough out their custom-sleeper plans, tour the facilities and then talk to the other three about price, deposit amounts and terms, manufacturing techniques, warranty coverage and duration, and alternative designe ideas. Doing so will make you a more educated buyer and allow you to rest assured that you made the right deal when you write the check.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Simon, Dave, I agree with. Could it be better, sure if you put yourself comparing things to a Mercedes. Overall dollar for dollar a Bentz dealivers quality for every cent delivered. In other words its a great value for the $.

Mine is 2 and half years old, some repairs have been done. Over all quality I give them a thumbs up. But do check others out I did but Bentz delivered a quality product better than some for a fair price compared to others. Some want only the best no matter the cost (Mercedes) I am just as happy with a Honda or Chevy PU.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I went to the factory 2 days ago and I can say with no reservation they are a class act and they take their reputation "very" seriously.
We had a fridge needing repair in a truck that had 165k on it.
Did they repair same? NO
But in less than 2 hours of my arrival they removed the passenger seat, old fridge and installed a new fridge,,,,, and here is the kicker
THEY DID SO WHILE SMILING AND THANKING ME FOR COMING IN...
If you have the good fortune to visit them at their new facility shoot the crap with Mr Sisco for a bit, he will lead you to believe he is a thousand and kill you with some great stories.
You can't go wrong with Bentz Sleepers, broke maybe but not wrong:+