Before good GPS

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When we started with Roberts Express in the late 90's we did not have GPS. Directions were horrible and up to guessing. Usually they were given by who ever was available and it was their way of finding their way to work. Easy part was to see if they were coming from the north then you would have to reverse exits and initial turn from opposite directions. Most problems to us were they said turn left at the 3rd light, sometimes the first 2 lights were close and the next light was 3-5 miles. You were behind on a NLM load with a 15 minute window and you were wondering after 2 miles with no 3rd signal if you missed something and maybe you should turn around?! :confused: Anyone else experience this? GPS are great improvement until they send you down a 1 way street the wrong way:cool:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm so thankful for the GPS I have now. My worst experience was back in the late 90's. I was trying to find a shipper in a straight truck at night with bad directions and no GPS. I thought I reached my destination and pulled up to a guard shack. But mistakenly, I got off at a private exit for a military base. Out pops a guard pointing a rifle at me :eek: The only thing I could manage to say was, and I remember it to this day, "I think I'm at the wrong place" :rolleyes:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
To this day, I never trust the gps 100%. I like to use the atlas to route myself, then see what the gps says. Too many times I've had it send me on a crazy "shortest route" walkabout. Unfortunately, there isn't a "common sense" selection, so I guess I just have to make my own.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Our GPS systems have sent us off on wild goose chases more than once. Brand, truck unit, makes no difference. We use 2 GPS receivers at all times and check all routes against the trucker atlas.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since all GPS are not 100% accurate, is it worth it to spend extra hundred of dollars to get a fancy and expensive one?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We try to pre-plan our route. Not one GPS we have gets it right. Sometimes they can be as much as 50 miles difference between the two, for the same trip.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every time my gps falls short GOOGLE MAP app. works fine and it's free!

I wish Google would jump into the GPS making market or at least have there data used by others. If they already are I don't know about it. Seems when all else fails they come through :)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I wish Google would jump into the GPS making market or at least have there data used by others. If they already are I don't know about it. Seems when all else fails they come through :)

If Google made a gps, you'd likely have to watch several commercials, wade thru pop ups, put in your phone number and SSN, before you could put in an address. Even then, you'd have to do it on google+.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Since all GPS are not 100% accurate, is it worth it to spend extra hundred of dollars to get a fancy and expensive one?

Yes !! I use garmin 720 it rocks I got a new rand 520 in the box if your interested $235 got in for Xmas from the gf , don't need it

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
When we started with Roberts Express in the late 90's we did not have GPS. Directions were horrible and up to guessing. Usually they were given by who ever was available and it was their way of finding their way to work. Easy part was to see if they were coming from the north then you would have to reverse exits and initial turn from opposite directions. Most problems to us were they said turn left at the 3rd light, sometimes the first 2 lights were close and the next light was 3-5 miles. You were behind on a NLM load with a 15 minute window and you were wondering after 2 miles with no 3rd signal if you missed something and maybe you should turn around?! :confused: Anyone else experience this? GPS are great improvement until they send you down a 1 way street the wrong way:cool:

Oh yes,those were the days! Many a time I had to stop at a phone booth and get dispatch to make a conference call with the customer for new directions. I was on a team truck in 2010 with an owner and both our Garmin gps and the truck gps were off,so I pulled into a trucking companies yard and ask a driver where this place was,and he gave me perfect directions,we were a mile away. I got back in the truck,the owner came out of the sleeper and said "It's not good to ask people for directions" I thought to myself,you are new buddy. He had been expediting two years. With all there flaws,and mistakes gps is still a great tool, I too use them along with a good atlas.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Oh yes,those were the days! Many a time I had to stop at a phone booth and get dispatch to make a conference call with the customer for new directions. I was on a team truck in 2010 with an owner and both our Garmin gps and the truck gps were off,so I pulled into a trucking companies yard and ask a driver where this place was,and he gave me perfect directions,we were a mile away. I got back in the truck,the owner came out of the sleeper and said "It's not good to ask people for directions" I thought to myself,you are new buddy. He had been expediting two years. With all there flaws,and mistakes gps is still a great tool, I too use them along with a good atlas.

I used to ask for directions a lot. If gas station attendants didn't know, their customers often did. Either that, or they had a phone book.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sometimes they threaten to take away your man card if you ask for directions; however, it's better not to be lost. ;)
I used to ask for directions a lot. If gas station attendants didn't know, their customers often did. Either that, or they had a phone book.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before GPS I would find a pizza delivery guy and ask him, or a police or fire station.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had a good atlas, when I got closer, asked the locals at convenience store/gas station and had the phone number of the consignee; the direct number into the shipping/receiving dept, not the main switchboard. In this day and age you can't afford NOT to have a good GPS, no matter what size unit you drive.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My GPS is usually spot on and does a much better job than an atlas ever did. On the rare occasion it doesn't find an address like has already been said Google is my friend.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I like the Road Atlas also because of the Geographically challenged dispatchers. They'll say that Mt Vernon, IL is near Chicago. Sometimes you can do a quick look up before accepting a load with a lot of deadhead for repositioning or request a little more for expenses.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
My GPS is usually spot on and does a much better job than an atlas ever did. On the rare occasion it doesn't find an address like has already been said Google is my friend.

The atlas is only as good as one's ability to use it. So what are you saying? ;)