Before good GPS

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, but sometimes a gps gets you from town to town by going thru this town and that town, and that ghetto, and that borough.

I just don't experience that. Been maybe 3 or 4 times its had me get off one exit early or late but that's no big deal for as rare as it has been. I often check several routing options and the first choice the GPS gives me is almost always the best.

As you know I'm in a sprinter so not concerned with low overpasses etc so that probably makes a difference.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, but sometimes a gps gets you from town to town by going thru this town and that town, and that ghetto, and that borough.
It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
It is not the tools we use which make us good, but rather how we employ them.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I used the big atlas for cross-country trips, then tried to get local maps when I got to town. The local map will have all the streets in it, so that helps quite a bit. Sometimes maps fail, then I would call the non-emergency police number-- the police have to know how to get to anyplace in town and they have the most up-to-date map as a result.

I sometimes worry a bit about GPS, and here lately about driverless cars. Yesterday, my GPS took an excursion-- which I didn't join-- across farm fields, through bramble patches, across a lake, a river and back across farm fields, all of these places giving no indication that there had ever been a path there much less a road with bridges to get across the lakes and rivers and so on. I fear being in a driverless vehicle dependent on GPS for its navigation, if it followed the path I saw my GPS depart on you would drown if you didn't get run down by the enraged bull first. For some reason, the unit will draw an arrow-straight pink "routeline" that deviates substantially from the curves that the Interstate highway you're actually on is taking. I never could figure out why it does this, since the route it's "taking" is absent of any suggestion that pavement ever has or ever will exist along that line.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thus, the atlas beforehand... and checking out what the gps gives as a route.
I find it easier to just blame Jill.

Jill-Jacobsen.jpg

Thousands of people listen to Jill
every day. She's the voice of the
Garmin GPS (American Jill),
T-Mobile, Nuance's REALSPEAK
text-to-speech engine, dozens of
IVR and touch tone systems, plus
national commercial, documentary
and training narrations.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Directions were always adequate my problem is they sometimes lacked informational details I.e. how much distance between turns. Sometimes it made you wonder if you missed a turn and you right on the margins.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Our GPS systems have sent us off on wild goose chases more than once. Brand, truck unit, makes no difference. We use 2 GPS receivers at all times and check all routes against the trucker atlas.

I tried using two GPS units,after a few days of there arguing and bickering back and forth I went to just one.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
When I first got started in '94 hauling airfrieght out of Hartsfield, Atlanta, I relied on an atlas to get me to the city or town and then stopped and bought a local street map. I had a collection of them. To this day, even with a GPS, I still rely on Atlas and use it several times a day.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I just don't experience that. Been maybe 3 or 4 times its had me get off one exit early or late but that's no big deal for as rare as it has been. I often check several routing options and the first choice the GPS gives me is almost always the best.

As you know I'm in a sprinter so not concerned with low overpasses etc so that probably makes a difference.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

The biggest goof my Garmin has made is I always select no off road and it sent me down a clay dirt road in Georgia for like 15 miles. After I checked my iPhones map app I could went 5 miles further down a highway and connected thru an actual road

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when with roberts express got close to del and stopped and ask a lady of the night and she said about 2 blocks and make a left, and asked anything else you want
she tried to keep from laughing and later watching cop's they were looking for people who might want to spend time with them
and thinking all he wanted was direction for factory