Be careful

lhefner

Rookie Expediter
I just stopped driving for an owner (driving a sprinter van). Beware to all if an owner operator wants you to sign a contract I suggest that you go drive for someone else. I signed a contract and the owners I drove for have tried to keep 1800.00 dollars of my money from me. The fan was spotless when they got it back I left on what I thought was good terms boy was I wrong...... I was unable to take the van straight to them and they tried to charge me the 1800.00 for having to drive 400 miles to get the van. Thank god i'm not an idiot and do know a thing or to about contract law they wrote the contract and everything that they where trying to charge me for was not in the contract so a word to the wise if it is not in the four corners of the contract it does not exist once I pointed a few things out I got my money....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sooooo, you're suggesting that if an owner wants you to sign a contract that you should not sign it and instead go drive for someone else, yet the contract you signed got you your money. Interesting.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The fan was spotless when they got it back I left on what I thought was good terms boy was I wrong...... I was unable to take the van straight to them and they tried to charge me the 1800.00 for having to drive 400 miles to get the van.

400 miles could be a deal breaker. Seriously. Always, take the truck to the owner and ask them to sign a note that the truck was received in "good order" when youare leaving the truck.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I would always return a OWNERS vehicle in as good or detailed shape if at all possible, and take TIMESTAMPED PICTURES, most smart phones will do this , take LOTS of pictures...not sure why you couldnt take the vehicle back, Thats the first thing I would have done, then demand my money right there...Ive driven for two owners, I always made a detailed written report of the vehicles everything, from rust spots, to oil leaks etc...its for yours and theres best interests.....people try and slipshod You for money you have to realize they may not be cheating you, they may not have been paid either...but not returning the vehicle that probably will wind up in your DAC report.....Its another reason I belong to OOIDA, if someone trys and cheat me they can help negotiate a settlement and work to help Both partys meet in the middle...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad you got your money but recommending people don't sign a contract is crazy. It just saved your butt. Curious what do you think would be a fair price to drive an 800 mile rt to retrieve a van?

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Sooooo, you're suggesting that if an owner wants you to sign a contract that you should not sign it and instead go drive for someone else, yet the contract you signed got you your money. Interesting.

Glad you got your money but recommending people don't sign a contract is crazy. It just saved your butt. Curious what do you think would be a fair price to drive an 800 mile rt to retrieve a van?

Both Great Responses.................

Wonder what the Gripe would have been if he DIDN'T sign a Contract and the Owner of the Van was suing him to get the $1800................

And.........not to "Help" hefner out here..........but IMO........$1800 to Retrieve a Van just 400 miles away is way to excessive of a Cost. I bet that Van NEVER brought in $1800 for an 800 mile run during it's time on the road "Expediting".........So why was the owner charging DOUBLE that over normal Expedite Rates for a CV.....even if it is a Sprinter???

Another Opinion...........there's more to the story over this $1800 than what's been shared here.......:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And.........not to "Help" hefner out here..........but IMO........$1800 to Retrieve a Van just 400 miles away is way to excessive of a Cost. I bet that Van NEVER brought in $1800 for an 800 mile run during it's time on the road "Expediting".........So why was the owner charging DOUBLE that over normal Expedite Rates for a CV.....even if it is a Sprinter???
Because the owner isn't in the business of expediting his own vehicle from 400 miles away. If you call a towing company to go pick up a Sprinter 400 miles away, they're liable to charge you $5 a mile for the towed miles, and between $2 and $3 for the miles to go get it.

Even if the owner goes and gets it himself, it's a major inconvenience that he shouldn't have to incur. If he has someone who can drive him up there so he can drive the Sprinter back, that's 800 miles for the guy driving him up there, plus the 400 to drive the Sprinter back. That's 1200 miles, at $1.50 a mile that's, ironically enough, $1800.

Even if the owner wants to slum it and take a bus to go get it (instead of a cab to the airport, plane ticket, cab to the vehicle, then a motel room), it's still two days of his time and a year's worth of aggravation he shouldn't have to put up with.

If I were an owner (which I am) and I had someone driving for me (which I don't) I'd have a contract that states $10 a mile for recovery costs if the vehicle isn't delivered to an agreed upon location. BAM!

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Because the owner isn't in the business of expediting his own vehicle from 400 miles away. If you call a towing company to go pick up a Sprinter 400 miles away, they're liable to charge you $5 a mile for the towed miles, and between $2 and $3 for the miles to go get it.

Even if the owner goes and gets it himself, it's a major inconvenience that he shouldn't have to incur. If he has someone who can drive him up there so he can drive the Sprinter back, that's 800 miles for the guy driving him up there, plus the 400 to drive the Sprinter back. That's 1200 miles, at $1.50 a mile that's, ironically enough, $1800.

Even if the owner wants to slum it and take a bus to go get it (instead of a cab to the airport, plane ticket, cab to the vehicle, then a motel room), it's still two days of his time and a year's worth of aggravation he shouldn't have to put up with.

If I were an owner (which I am) and I had someone driving for me (which I don't) I'd have a contract that states $10 a mile for recovery costs if the vehicle isn't delivered to an agreed upon location. BAM!

This is just a little "OVERTHINKING" it........Isn't it???????;)

Owner is 400 Miles away........

800 Miles round trip.....

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD SEND A WRECKER AFTER IT????

He can either go get it himself with a Buddy to drive it back.......at maybe a Cost of $200 MAXIMUM in Fuel for BOTH Vehicles........AND maybe 1 night in a Hotel Room at a cost of another $200 MAXIMUM for BOTH in their own rooms.

800 Miles CAN be done in 1 day though.......

So.....give that Buddy that $200 for his time.........

OR........he Could throw it up on UShip and have a Car Hauler or an LTL guy with a LowBoy grab it for .75 to $1.50 a mile for $300 to $600.

Hell.......if the Owner was just plain old Dead Reckoning on charging Hef $1800 to get the Van back to him......Hef should've just settled for a 2 way split and took it back himself for a $900 paycheck..............know what I mean.

And on another thought.........if this whole ordeal might AGGRAVATE the Owner for a full year after this 1 or 2 day ordeal getting his van back is over with.......said and done.......etc........then maybe Hef.......and ANYBODY ELSE that wants to drive for this owner.......is better off NOT Driving for this Owner in the first place......Period.

Hell.........if this such an ordeal for the owner where it would AGGRAVATE Him/Her for a YEAR......then they have NO Business being in BUSINESS for themselves whatsoever.........

Again......Know what I mean.............:p

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

He can either go get it himself with a Buddy to drive it back.......at maybe a Cost of $200 MAXIMUM in Fuel for BOTH Vehicles........AND maybe 1 night in a Hotel Room at a cost of another $200 MAXIMUM for BOTH in their own rooms.

OR........he Could throw it up on UShip and have a Car Hauler or an LTL guy with a LowBoy grab it for .75 to $1.50 a mile for $300 to $600.

Hell.......if the Owner was just plain old Dead Reckoning on charging Hef $1800 to get the Van back to him......Hef should've just settled for a 2 way split and took it back himself for a $900 paycheck..............know what I mean.

And on another thought.........if this whole ordeal might AGGRAVATE the Owner for a full year after this 1 or 2 day ordeal getting his van back is over with.......said and done.......etc........then maybe Hef.......and ANYBODY ELSE that wants to drive for this owner.......is better off NOT Driving for this Owner in the first place......Period.

Hell.........if this such an ordeal for the owner where it would AGGRAVATE Him/Her for a YEAR......then they have NO Business being in BUSINESS for themselves whatsoever.........

Again......Know what I mean.............:p

no, not really. my time is worth something on top of what it costs to pay for fuel to go get it or any other expenses to go get it. nobody works for free. would you be willing to drive 800 miles for 200 $ to go get one of my trucks for me. if so, i'll keep you in mind if i ever need one picked up somewhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not really.

Someone who has a full time job and can't go get it themselves. Someone with a broken leg and a broken arm who doesn't want or can't get out and drive 800 miles round trip. Someone who doesn't have a buddy who will give up his time for free to go and do it with him. Lots of people.

There are lots of ways it COULD be done, not one of which the owner should have to do at all. Just knowing you from some of your posts in the past, I have a feeling that if you were that owner you wouldn't put up with one iota of crap from ol' Hef on an abandoned vehicle, and you wouldn't go out of your way to give him much of a pass, out of the goodness of your heart. I have a feeling that you'd put the screws to him, but good. :D

On that I agree. If Hef can get a better deal elsewhere, like, you know, returning the van like he should have, then he should have done that.

Sure glad ol' Hef didn't deliver it out back and then kick the crap out of his overhead door.

Know what I mean.............:p

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personal experience: I had to have my Sprinter towed from Tuscola, Illinois to Villa Park, Illinois. 160 miles or thereabouts. It cost me over 600 for the tow. So, a 400 mile trip--- ain't gonna be cheap any way you slice it. If the owner had to go down to wherever the van was left to pick it up, that mileage and time has to be accounted for too. I'm not sure it would be 1,800 dollars, but I am sure it's not right to ask the owner to bite the bullet for the entire cost of getting his vehicle back.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
no, not really. my time is worth something on top of what it costs to pay for fuel to go get it or any other expenses to go get it. nobody works for free. would you be willing to drive 800 miles for 200 $ to go get one of my trucks for me. if so, i'll keep you in mind if i ever need one picked up somewhere.

Sure......If I'm sitting around.....Got NOTHING to do.......of which there are MILLIONS in this situation right now under this Presidency......and a Buddy called and said "Hey....Want to take a Trip with me to Drive my van back to Dallas from Lubbock (336 Miles) for $200".........I'd be like HELL YEAH......ROAD TRIP!!! ;)

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Truck abandonment is a horrible way to end a business relationship. I only had one truck (semi) abandoned over the years and got lucky it was local.
But you bet your sweet cheeks that if I were sitting on your banked payroll, and you left my truck 400 miles from base, I would either be hiring a professional driver to go get it at a "professional rate" and pay another driver/courier to take him there. Or hire a wrecker.
And YES, I would legally be deducting that from your settlement.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If looking at a CDL type truck, the costs increase. Much of depends on where the drivers/team would come from to pick up the truck and then complete the delivery of the vehicle. In our case with many drivers, we weigh that against using a third party truck transport. What is important is to have that component spelled out in your contract and provide specific documentation for those services.
Whether I have the time or even "just feel like it" doesn't enter in to the equation.
If you have a solid operation, the times one would ever do that would be minimal. We have done two in the last ten years.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Turtle:
Sure glad ol' Hef didn't deliver it out back and then kick the crap out of his overhead door.

Know what I mean.............

First I was Like.....HUH??? :eek:

Can't believe you Remembered that "DRIVER" that AGGRAVATED ME that day!!

That's where my "Coolness" comes into play.........my level headed-ness.....my easy going brilliant and witty persona.........

Sure that Guy AGGRAVATED me that day.......but I don't think I've thought about him since..........

In your post above......you mentioned a years worth of aggravation for the owner of that Van over this ordeal..........The kind of person that would allow themselves to let 1 little thing........or 1 MAJOR thing......Aggravate them for a full year........DO NOT need to venture into any sort of Self Employment / Business Venture whatsoever..............

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle:

First I was Like.....HUH??? :eek:

Can't believe you Remembered that "DRIVER" that AGGRAVATED ME that day!!
I have, uhm... Turtle Recall.

In your post above......you mentioned a years worth of aggravation for the owner of that Van over this ordeal..........The kind of person that would allow themselves to let 1 little thing........or 1 MAJOR thing......Aggravate them for a full year........DO NOT need to venture into any sort of Self Employment / Business Venture whatsoever..............
It's unlikely that anyone would actually be aggravated for an entire year. But an incident like that can be enough aggravation to last a year. Just look at Dave. Two vehicle recoveries in 10 years, and every time he thinks about them he gets mad, mad I tell you. Even if it's only, "I can't believe they abandoned my truck that one time, or those two times." And he doesn't have to be thinking about it all the time, all he has to do is read about someone not returning a truck and he'll think about it. He's thinking about it right now! All those minutes and hours add up.